Help after firmware update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
ericseaberg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 15:51    Post subject: Help after firmware update Reply with quote
I updated my Netgear R9000 to the 4/20/23 firmware and when it rebooted, all my settings were lost and it reverted to default. I have wired access but everything else is changed.
I do have a backup file, but can't get to the router since the ID/PW reset. The router does come up with the name DD-WRT, so I assume there's a default ID/PW somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated... once I can get access again, I'll restore from the backup I did before updating.

Thanks

Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Manually reconfigure r52369 after webUI factory defaults, or Telnet nvram erase && reboot. Create a new backup.
Router webUI username and password is set by user but Telnet or SSH command-line login username always root.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
dd-wrt has no default password
if you reset the router to factory settings then you have to set a username and password first

The router also has a reset button, so you can reset the router to factory settings even if you don't have GUI access.

And you can only use backups created with the same dd-wrt version that is currently running.
ericseaberg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried leaving the credentials empty, I think, but it kept telling me the ID/PW were incorrect and eventually locked me out with a 401 when I entered my known credentials. I’m not in front it right now, but will try again later this afternoon.

Thanks for the reply and I’ll update this when I can.

ho1Aetoo wrote:
And you can only use backups created with the same dd-wrt version that is currently running.

Yeah, I think that’s what blew it up. I have the original firmware so maybe I’ll restore it, then restore settings and try updating again.

blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
We do not know how old the old build is, but my advice still stands don't go backwards and just create new config.
Lockout is five minutes, and if you try before the timer finishes 5 more minutes, or just reboot the router or reset.
ericseaberg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think the last firmware was late 2020, and I went back to it several times because updates after that seemed to break my 5MHz WiFi. I think you're right in that starting over is probably the best option... I just hate taking the time to do so as I had a LOT of reserved IP addresses for my network... thanks again for the reply.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guessing r44715 but far too many changes since. If you have static DHCP list of MAC, hostnames, IP addresses:
can be added in webUI or converted into two commands to populate webUI or use old additional options method.

As for wireless config there are safe settings, but also old recommended or best settings which can break things.
Generally it is best to start with wireless defaults, except manually set the channels, then branch out from there.

Advanced firmware Vanilla, TX 30, short preamble, single user beamforming, airtime fairness disable, ACK 1800.
A more reasonable TX power is 23 or 24 also ACK timing 1800 likely too loose the middle ground would be 1350.

2.4 GHz AP Mixed HT40 MHz Channels 1 Upper or 11 Lower
5 GHz AP Mixed VHT80 MHz Channels 36 UU or 149 UU
WPA2 Personal and CCMP-128 (AES) only two checked.
ericseaberg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just got back home and it's def asking for ID/PW combo, so it looks like all I can do is reset. Unfortunately the router is quite out-of-the-way so I'll have to get a ladder to get to it. I assume this is the basic 'reset' button on the back?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
An initial webUI configuration asks for username, password, password confirmation.

A hardware reset using the button you will need flathead toothpick, or ballpoint pen,
eyeglass screwdriver, SIM card ejector tool, compressed air red straw, paperclip etc.

"Reset button is pressed for at least seven seconds and the Power LED blinks white"
Rear left: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51k5tM6TWLL._AC_SL1369_.jpg
ericseaberg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yup, reset and entered new ID/PW and began setup. Thanks, but so far it’s not happy. May re-install firmware 4/20/23 again.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
What do you mean by not happy? WebUI factory defaults or Telnet nvram erase && reboot? Clear browser history?
ericseaberg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had REALLY tweaked my wireless settings on the last FW, which was v3.0-r49361 std (06/26/22), so it wasn't that old. I reinstalled that firmware and restored my last backup and all is well. 5GHz speeds to my iPhone 12 Pro are back to just over 500Mb down (from 1GB internet to the house) where it was less that 90Mb with the stock settings. I'm HAPPY where this is sitting and decided to leave it here until I make the jump to a Mesh System.

Thanks again for all of the help...

blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
No information about wireless AP settings, however I can tell you all is well r52369 for EA8500, R7800 or R9000.
Above settings I recommended are good, cannot troubleshoot further. Mesh do you use Mesh setup or use WDS?

BTW mesh is marketing ($$$) zero benefits to wireless backhaul only further crowds airspace, halves bandwidth.
90 Mbps or stock settings tells me you have not configured channels this is very basic stuff default width only 20.

Gigabit internet service this is news, maybe consider 5 GHz channel width 160 MHz, channel 36 & extension UUU.
ericseaberg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, been a busy week and didn't reply to your last post. Everything has been really solid since reverting back to r49361 (06/26/22) and I'm sticking there. Reserve DHCP is setup the way I want... GREAT 5GHz WiFi speeds... settings are:

Network Mode: AC / N mixed
Channel Width: VHT 80 (80MHz)
Channel: 153 - 5765 MHz
Extension Channel: UL (+2)
Channel overlapping DISABLED

Set this up a LONG time ago and it's been rock solid!!

If I move over to a mesh system, I'd get rid of the R9000... but it ain't broke (anymore)... so I'm still here. I will say with all the issues I was having, I seriously thought about reverting it back to STOCK Netgear and running with it, but I knew I'd lose all the benefits of the tweaks I've done. Anyway, it's happy again and that's all that matters. Don't need any more stress over GEAR in my life!!

Thanks again for the help solving this!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: