Comcast's Response For Use of a 64 Prefix for IPv6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
silvarios
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Johnnyh12 wrote:
So is this something that needs to be applied on the backend, or something we the users need to do? As it stands, right now I am still using the firewall patch that was suggested in the last thread, and I'm not really sure what to do from here.

If you need to use builds older than 05/11/2023 - r52485 for some reason (could be settings that work better an older build currently, depending on your setup), you can apply this patch to your firewall
Code:

ip6tables -A INPUT -s 2001:558:4000::/36 -d fe80::/10 -p udp -m udp --sport 547 --dport 546 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j ACCEPT

However, assuming the new builds are working, in theory, you don't have to do anything extra to get IPv6 working. If you need different prefix lengths than /64 or want DNSmasq to handle all your DNS, then you can of course add those settings, but the basic settings should work. I only say should because I haven't flashed the newest build yet and cannot speak from first hand experience.
Sponsor
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mile-Lile wrote:
in next public ddwrt release no patches are needed anymore...
it's patched on ddwrt firewall...

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/52483

https://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2023/05-11-2023-r52485/

Also, if you are "using older builds for some reason", you should explain in the applicable build thread why and provide information for developer(s) to fix the problem instead of continuing the circular cesspool mentality that seems to plague this community.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
silvarios
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:

Also, if you are "using older builds for some reason", you should explain in the applicable build thread why and provide information for developer(s) to fix the problem instead of continuing the circular cesspool mentality that seems to plague this community.

Like the six months we had to use older builds or provide work arounds for this specific feature? Sometimes it takes a while to figure things out. Which is also okay. There's no shame in rolling back when there's documented problems awaiting a fix (or suitable work around). I thought this thread was an example of the process working?

The new build with the fix literally came out today, maybe users aren't ready to flash and rebuild their whole network, so for the time being, there's the fix that's likely better than the one I previously suggested. For those who can flash the new build, please do so. I have the setting listed for anyone who needs it in the meantime. I feel bad vouching for today's build because I personally cannot flash and rebuild everything at this exact moment; hence the caveat about things should work. I simply do not know from firsthand testing.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
The firewall code change doesn't require a hard reset and reconfigure, not sure what you're on about. I wasn't even commenting on "the process" or this thread, sorry for opening up the aperture to the entire forum's content.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
silvarios wrote:

The new build with the fix literally came out today, maybe users aren't ready to flash and rebuild their whole network, so for the time being, there's the fix that's likely better than the one I previously suggested. For those who can flash the new build, please do so. I have the setting listed for anyone who needs it in the meantime. I feel bad vouching for today's build because I personally cannot flash and rebuild everything at this exact moment; hence the caveat about things should work. I simply do not know from firsthand testing.

The IPv6 fix was put into the code today. It should be available in the next build.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
5 is greater than 3:

dale_gribble39 wrote:
Mile-Lile wrote:
in next public ddwrt release no patches are needed anymore...
it's patched on ddwrt firewall...

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/52483

https://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2023/05-11-2023-r52485/

In other words, the fix is in today's build, as already stated.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 - you are correct - I just tried it both with the 64 and 60 prefix and it works!
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
With my R7000P router, using the modification for a 60 prefix reduces my internet wired speed from 940Mbps to about 350Mpbs. Using the patch for a 64 only prefix, the speed only gets reduced to 850Mbps. So for Comcast, I will stay with the 64 prefix patch. If a better 60 prefix patch is developed, I would be happy to test it.
Hapi12021
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have Comcast and I disliked the Technicolor II modem and went back to the SMC. The SMC didn’t support IPv6 all that well and Comcast decided to make the SMC v4-only at some point.

In any event, I had HE.net’s v6 tunnel broker running forever over v4 (6in4 static) and it was stable, fast and gave me a /48. Given the problems with the TCII modem (firewall interferes with traffic that I couldn’t fully shut off, public WiFi kept getting re-enabled, etc), I will keep HE.net, and the tunnel is completely portable if I change ISPs, so no DNS renumbering (which is a bit more PITA on v6). Yes, it’s not native v6, but I haven’t found a real downside to not using the native stack: possibly speed as I’m only on a 150 Mb tier.

Just thought I’d remind people that Comcast still can’t run a reliable and standards-based service without screwing it up somehow or overcharging by 4x. Oh, yeah, HE.net’s broker is free.
Johnnyh12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm seeing a definite decrease in speed when I have IPv6 enabled opposed to just using IPv4. I use a 64 prefix when I have IPv6 enabled with Comcast. My advertised rate is 750 (this speed test site seemed a bit slower than others, but it broke it out to both types of connections for an easy comparison). I'm on the 6/29/2023 firmware for my AC68u.

Untitled-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.24 KB
 Viewed:  1156 Time(s)

Untitled-1.jpg

Johnnyh12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
PaulGo wrote:
With my R7000P router, using the modification for a 60 prefix reduces my internet wired speed from 940Mbps to about 350Mpbs. Using the patch for a 64 only prefix, the speed only gets reduced to 850Mbps. So for Comcast, I will stay with the 64 prefix patch. If a better 60 prefix patch is developed, I would be happy to test it.

Is there something special I need to do to get full speed using a 64 prefix? My router is an AC68u, see post above.
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
IPv6 appears to use more resources than IPv4 both on the router and the computer. If you have an older computer it can make a big difference.
Johnnyh12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
PaulGo wrote:
IPv6 appears to use more resources than IPv4 both on the router and the computer. If you have an older computer it can make a big difference.

It's weird because I never seemed to have these problems until whatever it was that changed. Speed was always ~800 Mbps even with IPv6.
Hapi12021
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a “WAG,” but some firewall packet-inspection features can negatively impact CTF, due to the need to perform the inspection on the CPU (via iptables module), instead of the CTF module. This is a general problem if one creates intricate iptables rules on BCM, not just with DD-WRT.

I’d suggest keeping the extra PI features turned off if speed is your goal; just protocol, source and dest. if you want to ensure CTF stays enabled.
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just retested the speed using the Ookla Speedtest app on Windows 11. On an IPv4 site, I get 945Mbps download. Initially on a IPv6 site (Comcast) I now get 730Mbps download, but after I go to a IPv4 site and do a test the Comcast IPv6 site and other IPv6 sites have a maximum download of less than 350Mbps. Clearly something has changed for the worse, using IPv6 with DD-WRT.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: