[SOLVED] iperf3 not showing correct results?

fizikz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 0:56    Post subject: [SOLVED] iperf3 not showing correct results? Reply with quote
Testing the data transfer rate with iperf3 compared to a file transfer is giving very different results. Any ideas why?

Network is as follows:

Wired workstation <-- 1Gbps ethernet --> R7000 AP <-- 1Gbps ethernet --> R7000 router

The wired workstation and gets roughly the expected gigabit rates (~800Mbps or ~100MB/s) when transfering a file from a NAS wired to the router, but only ~250Mbps or ~30MB/s when testing with iperf3.

I also tried SSHing into the router and AP and using iperf3 and it's still showing only ~250-300Mbps between them.

What could be causing this discrepancy?
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bottleneck do not run iperf3 server or client directly on router, instead use a computer or workstation on each end.
fizikz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Bottleneck do not run iperf3 server or client directly on router, instead use a computer or workstation on each end.

You're right! When running iperf3 on the NAS (wired to router) and the workstation, the result is 900Mbps!

I didn't think iperf3 would bog down the router so much. Too bad, as it can be really convenient running iperf3 on the router(s) to measure the network performance of individual segments and devices.

Well, at least I know my new cat5e run and termination between the router and AP seems ok. When I saw only 300Mbps I thought I had done something wrong. Sure beats the 20-40Mbps ethernet over powerline backhaul it's replacing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: