Are these problems already fixed? [upnp] [hostapd] [dhcpfwd]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
kosmos
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:52    Post subject: Are these problems already fixed? [upnp] [hostapd] [dhcpfwd] Reply with quote
Hello,

somehow nothing works anymore. Several times an hour, several-second hangers and DNS problems in addition to the following log entries.

[upnp] : maybe died, we need to re-exec it
[hostapd] : wlan1: STA dc:a6:xx:xx:xx:xx IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to inactivity (timer DEAUTH/REMOVE)
[dhcpfwd] : Error on startup, returncode 3
[dhcpfwd] : maybe died, we need to re-exec it

Are there already solutions that I haven't found in the forum?

Could the following in hostapd.conf option help?

# Station inactivity limit
#
# If a station does not send anything in ap_max_inactivity seconds, an
# empty data frame is sent to it in order to verify whether it is
# still in range. If this frame is not ACKed, the station will be
# disassociated and then deauthenticated. This feature is used to
# clear station table of old entries when the STAs move out of the
# range.
#
# The station can associate again with the AP if it is still in range;
# this inactivity poll is just used as a nicer way of verifying
# inactivity; i.e., client will not report broken connection because
# disassociation frame is not sent immediately without first polling
# the STA with a data frame.
# default: 300 (i.e., 5 minutes)

enlarge ap_max_inactivity=300
Sponsor
kosmos
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/how-to-solve-hostapd-dexcessive-deauthenticated-due-to-local-deauth-request/113135/3

Quote:
Increasing station inactivity helped with my Apple devices as well. Right now I am using 3600 seconds which is 1 hour and seems to have resolved the same iPhone deauthentications. I think default was 5 minutes.

Seems that is exactly the solution. Is there an editor like nano in busybox to edit a file.

There seems to be another solution here

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/solved-lede-17-01-5-deauthenticated-due-to-local-deauth-request-every-10-minutes/17636/3

Quote:
I think I have found my mistake. I was using wpa_strict_rekey twice, whereas in fact one of them should be wpa_group_rekey. I changed my wireless config to include

option disassoc_low_ack '0'
option wpa_strict_rekey '1'
option wpa_group_rekey '86400'

With these parameters, there is no deauth for the last 10 minutes. I will keep an eye on it for a day and then mark it as solved.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why not start with telling us what build you are using Smile

Also look in the build threads for other users reporting about your router.

See the forum guidelines with helpful pointers about how to research your router, where and what firmware to download, where and how to post and many other helpful tips:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kosmos
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r52189 std (03/28/23)

I have the latest version on it but it seems to have gotten worse since the one listed. I've also tried all the firmwares in between.

Router/Version: Linksys WRT3200
File/Kernel: v3.0-r51976
Previous/Reset: v3.0-r51937
Mode/Status: Router
Issues/Errors: with this version there are again extremely many disconnections. It's most obvious on a Samsung S10+, which is about as vulnerable as all iPhones

Perhaps the option station inactivity time could be included in the GUI of DD-WRT, then there will certainly be more feedback from other users.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Additional hostap options can be set in the "wireless security" tab.

and if build r51937 works then see > https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=334152

improve stability / instability or whatever
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes use r51937 before the patch, or try r52189 after various fixes. Here is a recent WRT3200ACM issues thread.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is the purpose of enabling the dhcp forwarder in your configuration? Also, why would you enable uPnP? It's a huge security hole.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
kosmos
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I have to say that I solved my problems with the constant short WLAN interruptions with the two options.

The logs are now clean because a device reports from time to time when I change floors. Those deauthentication messages are all gone now. And our Samsung S10+, which is as demanding as Apple devices, now has a stable connection.

Only one Rasperry Pi is noticeable that starts a DHCP request more often, although there are no interruptions and the energy-saving mode is deactivated, I have to take a closer look at that.

Attached is a log excerpt, because of the MAC addresses I cropped it a bit on the right.

You can see here that apart from DHCP requests nothing else is going on, no more de-authentications.

I activated upnp because, in addition to the main router, I have 2 others in the same network area and the double NAT caused problems here. I deactivated the DHCP forwarder, it wasn't necessary at all, but I have a somewhat unusual configuration in which the first router does not do DHCP but the 2nd, since the first needs a very unusual handling to set up static DHCP leases for each device.

I will open a ticket for DD-WRT Journal so that these
ap_max_inactivity option is integrated as a fixed field.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
kosmos wrote:
I will open a ticket for DD-WRT Journal so that these
ap_max_inactivity option is integrated as a fixed field.

You can add additional hostap option in the tab "wireless security" for years, the ticket will most likely not be noticed.

Rolling Eyes
kosmos
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I also wrote that in the custom config field, but I think since it is such a common problem you could also integrate it into the GUI, as was done with the Disassoc Low ACK, for example. Because only if the function is obvious will the majority make use of it or look for what it does
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tested r52189 without strict rekeying or ap_max_inactivity? It may no longer be valid like this old ticket.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
@kosmos

funny that you just mention "Disassoc Low ACK", the setting probably doesn't work at all on marvel routers.
Marvel routers also don't have a setting for the "ACK Timing" because the driver doesn't provide plausible values. (at least that's what BS wrote somewhere).

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1081066#1081066

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/391#issuecomment-762180188
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe Disassoc Low ACK should be disabled or removed, since Marvell Sensitivity Range ACK Timing disappeared.
kosmos
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was only concerned with the fact that this function was included in the GUI and that you can perhaps do it with ap_max_inconnectivy, the function mentioned was used as an example.
kosmos
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found here yet another solution on the Internet, here it was about the fact that the DHCPCD service lost at regular intervals e.g. the connection and newly requested IP address.

Here a service was created that runs the following every 120 seconds

Code:
wpa_cli -i wlan0 scan

apparently the scanning interval was too long intervals, so the DHCP client, thought the DHCP server (router) was no longer there and a new DHCP request was started.

Here you can try if a fixed IP on the client would be a solution.

On the client you can execute the following then finds any connection loss, which otherwise may not be noticeable.

Code:
more /var/log/syslog | GREP "Carrier Lost"
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: