"hesitant" Wifi on Newer Builds on R7000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mjurgens
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:59    Post subject: "hesitant" Wifi on Newer Builds on R7000 Reply with quote
I am running about 6 R7000s as access points only on v44213. About 3 SSIDs broadcast in total where each SSID is made available on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands. Works great. Devices select strong signal and move nicely between APs.

I thought I'd try a later build on one router. Here's what I did.

Factory defaulted the router. Flashed the 52020 version and factory defaulted again. Did the bare minimum config to get it on my network as an AP
- changed IP, gateway and DNS settings
- disabled WAN
- disabled DHCP
- added NTP server
- run SSHD
- set SSID to "ddwrt x" for both 2.4 and 5GHz

Result: Devices will connect and operate correctly

Changed SSID to the primary SSID (single SSID on both 2.4 and 5GHz) so that this router could become available to any device.

Result: Devices do not want to connect to it. They always prefer devices further away with weaker signal strength.

Used Windows and Android wifi clients for testing.

After running it for about a week, some devices will connect to it eg IOT devices, but it seems like Android and Windows just prefer the older APs.

If you'd like to suggest that I run separate SSIDs per band then that is not a solution, that is a workaround, especially since it works perfectly fine on v44213 with a wide range of devices.
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: