Stable build for AC68U and working wifi leds?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
texnnyc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 17:24    Post subject: Stable build for AC68U and working wifi leds? Reply with quote
Hi all,

I'm running DD-WRT v3.0-r48138 std (01/17/22) on my AC68U (v3 - if you want to know how to get around the firmware lock on later versions, PM me! Very Happy )

I'm running it as a vanilla AP, no VAPs, no special features.

Is there a more recent version that has the wifi leds working? I believe this version has the USB2 LED and the 2.4 MhZ LEDs swapped as I am seeing the USB2 light flash with nothing in it.

Also, when re-flashing a different/newer version, does the configuration remain in place? Or does it reset to the default? I do MAC filtering and I would prefer not to reenter the values.

The unit has been running about 12 hours so far, and no issues.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsor
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
The LED situation has probably never been fixed, and probably never will be without giving the proper gpio information to the developer. You can retain your configuration when upgrading, but if you run into any gremlins, a reset is required. Selecting reset after flashing may soft brick your router, so don't select that. Some recommend resetting and starting over when doing a large jump in build revision numbers. Caveat Emptor applies, as always.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can try the the last build (52054 as today) to check if the LEds behavior have been fixed. Else, if you want to help the developers to know how to properly drive the gpios, you can telnet/ssh into the unit, enable/disable each gpio, and report here what LED drives each one, for further builds consideration.
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
feliciano wrote:
You can try the the last build (52054 as today) to check if the LEds behavior have been fixed. Else, if you want to help the developers to know how to properly drive the gpios, you can telnet/ssh into the unit, enable/disable each gpio, and report here what LED drives each one, for further builds consideration.

IMHO Wifi LEDs will never be fixed as they are connected to the brcm radios and they are driven by closed source code and programmed by wl through ioctl to a blob in kernel brcm module which in turn, and here is a guess, send some command to the radio chip.
I had a go at it some months ago to try to understand at least the flow of led programming and I regret to say that the effort is not justified compared to the minuscule magnitude of the issue.

It's just a lost cause as long as the sources and the radio chips remain closed.

Not meant to be rude but, stay happy with the router working and enjoy the LEDs Christmas tree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: