Need help picking a good SFP+ router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
@blkt I wanted to mention real quick that I just found out I was mispelling your name. My foul up.

-anyway-

I understand that the only difference between the R8900 and R9000 are the same router but with different wireless AD speeds. I am just being thorough here.

SFP is 1gbps. SFP+ is 10gbe. Although im sure thats just a typo and that you already knew that. I know that x86 is much better, but I rather stick to using an ARM wifi router. A dd-wrt x86 router would require more physical space that I do not have available for it. And I have not gotten into the other requirements like cost of parts and power.

But if the time does come, I will build an X86 dd-wrt router. Now is just not the time.

@DWCruiser

well your post seems to relax me a bit more about the R9000 router despite some of the other issues you pointed out like loading times. I do also recall reading about the whole "bad blocks" issues with these routers too now that I think about it.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
Sponsor
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
So to put it clearly again.
The QCA9984 chips are used in millions of devices in over 50 widely used routers, extenders, etc.

And the R9000 is the only known router with dying radios.

It's also the only router that doesn't use the Qualcomm reference design and has an active antenna construction.

Of course, if you're simple-minded, you can blame everything on thermal problems.

But at the end of the day, it's all assumptions.

When I looked through the linked topics again I noticed a post of mine.

ho1Aetoo wrote:
my Compex card after 20min full speed

Code:
ath10k_hwmon-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +95.0°C 

Wink

hehehehe

conclusion, i would not buy the r9000 - it has poorly designed radios with known problems.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
It may be the amplifier that are dying and not the wifi chip.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
to solve the puzzle

here is the main discussion and some thermal pics form msoengineer

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=326183&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

My R9000 on heavy use everyday and 2.4ghz radio only, touch wood still alive... Laughing Laughing

As its more than clear, you can use an external radio (if you need a 4x4 stream) an extra R7800 connected as a WAP will do Laughing Laughing ... could do with any WAP indeed ...

My very first R9000 i got, was with both radios burned, than I sold it to a friend and he used it as a main router with a WAP attached, with an old Kong factory build, until BS made a builds that can boot up R9000 even with faulty radios...now happy days...overall R9000 its a beast...i would ve used it as a main, but its stuck in the office and used on presentations and its so reliable, that i dont want to move it to the edge...where R7800 gets the full load...so far...

I'm actually tempted to put Kong's OpenWRT with NSS support on R7800 to find out if R7800 will out play the R9000 on heavy traffic loads... Rolling Eyes (but just dont like the OpenWRT, im a very autistic person Razz )...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913

Last edited by Alozaros on Sun Mar 12, 2023 23:21; edited 1 time in total
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:
@blkt I wanted to mention real quick that I just found out I was mispelling your name. My foul up.
Nothing, the human brain has abilities to both subconsciously scramble and decode these things without notice. =)
Anyway, BrainSlayer will always hold record for the most misspellings of his name (e.g. BrianSlayer or BrianSlyer).
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:
I understand that the only difference between the R8900 and R9000 are the same router but with different wireless AD speeds. I am just being thorough here.
R8900 and R9000 = identical hardware; hashmyfiles factory-to-ddwrt.img and webupgrade.bin contents do match.
Costco R8900 = Netgear crippled stock firmware. XR700 HW = identical with only a different factory-to-ddwrt.img.

Fully aware of different SFP modules, not so simple as two types, and read the various R9000 series SFP threads.
x86 can be extremely compact. Consider R9000 started at $500, dropping closer to $200 approaching end of life.

Bad blocks = overblown, this risk is for any model. No coincidence R7800, XR450, XR500 are most recommended.
Costco XR450 = XR500 different factory-to-ddwrt.img but identical webupgrade.bin and DD-WRT will show XR500.

At this point it is almost unavoidable, 802.11ac Wave 2 models you will be buying used consumer-grade hardware.
There will always to be some risks associated but pointless to speculate about failures without physical possession.

That being said unfortunately Netgear has "archived" (lol) a lot of their own forum threads about R9000 problems.
Per Yngve Berg is correct, amplifier design and placement is key difference between passive and active antennas.

I can tell you that software corruption is very real on R9000 series stock firmware, admit at first I did not believe,
from Netgear webUI settings or flash upgrade corruption (do not disable wifi with the LED button before upgrade).

There are recovery steps you can try if Netgear corrupted involves alternating stock and modified stock firmware.
To be short, if a known good DD-WRT build exhibits dead wifi this leans towards a likely possible hardware failure.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
In my case, there was no flash chip failures, bad blocks, or corruption of partitions, period. Speaking of assumptions while not having one (or more) of these in inventory, in hand, etc. ad infinitum. Your suggestions about corruption were fruitless in my case because what exactly was happening was because of (hardware) failures induced by nothing to do with whether or not anyone was adhering to any reference design. Thankfully, I have people whom I know who wanted to figure out what broke without charging me a dime. Netgear and the folks involved didn't want to take responsibility for obvious reasons, but it would be hilarious if there were a class-action suit filed based on this now well-documented issue... no matter how much they have tried to scrub the internet of it.

Personally, I would not waste my time on any of the three devices ever again Arrow Arrow Arrow Arrow Arrow Arrow Arrow

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
? This is not about you, R8900 here working fine, I mentioned a real possibility of stock firmware nvram corruption.
If R9000 series router only has stock firmware wifi issues then this is certainly a corruption issue already described.

Luckily DD-WRT stores settings differently so it should be a simple and quick way to verify the wifi hardware status.
So there are plenty of stock firmware "dead wifi" units that should be totally fine running DD-WRT always a gamble.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's not about you, either. Flash dump comparisons, etc. revealed NOTHING that you sent my way about nvram corruption, ART partition nonsense, nada. Mine failed with DD-WRT installed, NOT stock firmware, and it wouldn't have mattered what firmware was installed on it, because it had ZERO to do with the firmware. We (they) received another broken one in same situation, and it was the same exact problem, with the same exact repairs done, and it wasn't firmware or flash chip failure / corruption induced. Rolling Eyes
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is the coolest of stories from you, or they/them, hope to provide hardware repair solution details to the public.
The reality is that software corruption scenarios do exist on stock firmwares, for those buying used it is useful info.

We all know risks of R9000. Anyway, seems x86 recommendation is out of the question despite similar price range.
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is a puzzling issue, if i can put it that way.

I got a cheap, used R9000 on eBay from the US back in May last year. Initially on Stock firmware, both 2.4GHz and 5GHz worked fine. I wanted to make sure of that, as a starting point. (I have a background in beta-testing of IT products).

I then flashed it with Kong's f/w but i did not play with it for long as i remember. I then flashed it back to stock f/w before eventually flashing it with BS f/w.

I then tried VLANS on it but it was like trying to tame a wild horse at first. My reading of various posts about the topic led me through a two-week long discovery. I got VLANs working properly in the end, with a workaround.

On a going-concern basis, after flashing a new BS f/w, i always zoom in on Setup/Networking to verify that all details such as under Current Bridging Table section are there as indicative of my R9000 fully loaded. If not, i simply do a s/w reboot of the router again. In 99% of cases, it fixes any remaining issues due to delayed loading (my educated guess).

If detail is still missing after the second reboot, i would flash back to the previous f/w.

A customer asked me for advice. I got a secondhand R9000 unit from Australia and configured it with no issue at all. They both have been working fine. So i scratch my head as to why quite a few people have issues with it.

One terrific thing about R9000 is its handling of encryption/decryption of OpenVPN with flying colours. As for wifi, i now use both DDWRT instead of VANILLA. I have tested and happy with its performance in term of distance and bandwidth.

Lastly, i don't use channel 11 for 2.4GHz. For some reason, my two Rokus (one re-branded with an Australian Telco; the other, a US Roku (so we can select from a larger library for watching without mucking around) simply do not like channel 11. They refuse to connect! Beats me.

Hope the above clarifies a few issues for some.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kamoj solutions: R9000 AD7200 x10 Firmware Ver 1.0.5.24 kills WiFi & Nighthawk xr700, DumaOS not loaded yet

CNX Software: Gowin R86S mini PC offers 2.5GbE and 10GbE networking for $310 and up & AliExpress Direct Link
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the links which contribute further to the topic at hand, @blkt.

I think it's interesting to note two rather contradictory observations.

First by:
@kernel-panic69 with 'Mine failed with DD-WRT installed, NOT stock firmware',

secondly, by:
@user12a in Netgear Community forum 'I flashed it with the dd-wrt FW and bang, all the Wifi come back on! All LEDs are on, SSID’s are detected by my devices! This verifies that there is no problem with the router Hardware'

So, unless i misunderstand what @kernel-panic69 implied, it's safe to say there is NOTHING wrong with the router's hardware, in both cases. But, either the codes (of a particular f/ware version) or the flashing itself, somehow, 'corrupts' the loaded OS of the router in the end.

I'd say the two separate observations above add weight to doing a second s/w router reboot, immediately after the router comes back from a flashing. I actually discovered the anomaly of R9000 which i call 'Voodoo' when trying to make VLANS to work.

As for R86S presented by Patrick of 'Serve The Home'. He is an excellent IT presenter. I happened to follow his guide years ago in building my FreeNAS. It's certainly an option but the grass may look greener, than actually the case, further away. I am happy with my R9000 workhorse. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was demonstrating user12a recovered a corrupted R9000 who notified XR700 users, and some were successful.

Kamoj has since updated FAQ many times, expanding on recovery steps, also more information about corruption.
Use Ctrl+F 'alternate' first match. Also search 'corrupt' section below, mentions the word 11 times in that section.

Not contradictory, these are separate issues. If you cannot get DD-WRT radios working, likely hardware problem.
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, when my R9000 did not come back fully operational after a firmware flash, and without the second s/w reboot with no changes made in GUI at all, it may be construed as a hardware failure or a software failure by you?

Despite what i personally experienced and detailed for all to see.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
@blkt those x86 options look really cool but they do not allow me to fit two hard drives inside of them for NAS purposes.

However, I might reconsider it since I am recalling the fact that I found a motherboard laying around and the really small power supply for out. just need to figure out the case part.

Motherboard > https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AM1H-itx/

PSU > https://www.ebay.com/itm/133689301757?hash=item1f2080dafd%3Ag%3Ajk8AAOSw6udgScT%7E&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA0F4m%2Fvi4yS3H3c8X7zpfh7cmCr%2FtVYxsrU8jz6qqz4tLGnf8Ck9kGIgnhjfJD6OZjlx2cUm8peO0WBAJqN6P27aRR2OkqIm%2F7kUXbbQgXn8NfSvlqWT2QoOfgSY0H6Px42Wlyt4MwQ5v%2FuMBLosBWQzeypOaw5LWNIclE6%2FJTI8dkFKe2CIBdKf7fphk8nOArDZdlOyxYHSKtg61EknlL2EkNTYQEvfrqCRuUa8M1kHUXWmGECNjmOfS6Msn907IRrrbe6bNRuuem9NgCFyHNG4%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_65rJnbYQ&LH_BIN=1

only issue with the PSU is that it comes with one sata power but I do have an molex to sata adapter.

the built in WAN can be the integrated NIC but I still need a 10GBE card. preferably with two ports. might be able to still do with 1 port if its not possible with two.

Would I be able to make use of wifi via USB ports? or do I also need PCIE slots for those?

-back to the router-

I was told you have a R8900. have you had any of the nightmarish issues that have been talked about with the R9000 such as bad blocks and/or wifi?

I might just say "fugget it!" and buy the R8900. At least...for now.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: