Client (Station) Bridge on new build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
texnnyc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 22:51    Post subject: Client (Station) Bridge on new build Reply with quote
I am in the process of SLOWLY upgrading my equipment from an E4200 (stock firmware, main router in basement) and an E2000 (DDWRT 1xxx, acting as a client bridge to connect a wired desktop on first floor). Everything is working as expected, and I was able to swap out the main router and still have the old E2000 do everything it was supposed to.

Rather than screw anything up, I purchased an E2000 off ebay and I'm planning to load "dd-wrt.v24-47381_NEWD-2_K2.6_big-nv60k" on it. I'm also looking at the online simulator of the "new" DD-WRT software.

I haven't done this in a long time, so please be gentle with me Wink I have a couple of questions looking at the "new" version of the firmware.

1. What's a "VAP" and do I need to define one? I'm guessing it stands for Virtual Access Point. I didn't need to do that in the very early "Client Bridge" configuration I have loaded on my existing E2000.

2. There is still plenty of info in the wiki for client mode, client-bridge and client-bridged, but there does seem to be differences between the old configuration and the new station mode. Is there a better step-by-step guide someplace?

My goal here is to have the first floor wired PC connect thru the (new) E2000 wirelessly to the E4200 (or new main router) like I do now, but with a more recent build - the first floor PC would inherit the DNS properties of the main router (connected to a cable modem in automatic configuration mode) as well as have the main router assign a DHCP address. No public hotspot, no VPN, no static routes needed - just a very plain vanilla wireless bridge.

I haven't received the new E2000 yet, but I'm trying to find the latest information on how to configure with the latest versions.

Many thanks in advance!
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: