Every change or tab navigation causes GUI or Telnet to break

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
crespoh69
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:35    Post subject: Every change or tab navigation causes GUI or Telnet to break Reply with quote
Hey guys, I just reflashed my Netgear 7800 with Kong's FW from stock Netgear. It works in that I have internet, am able to access the GUI, set a username and password and can even access it using telnet to run the nvram erase and reboot command. The only issue is that if I move between tabs in the GUI or make up to two changes, it causes the interface, GUI or Telnet, to break and I can no longer continue navigating or make changes as each time I navigate to the page it tells me the page cannot be reached. The network itself is fine, I can still ping the router, use internet but I just can't access the router without a reboot. Any way to fix this? Otherwise I can't actually set it up beyond a username and password. I did have an old saved settings bin from last year before I switched over to stock FW and I tried that in hopes it would fix the issue. The old settings loaded up fine, am able to browse to the new router IP and everthing but the bug still persists leading me to think it's not a setting issue and this wasn't an issue on the stock FW.
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong Builds are not longer available.

Here is the latest for R7800:

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2023/02-28-2023-r51887/netgear-r7800/

Flash the Webflash.bin

Then Reset to factory and reconfigure manually. Don't use a Backup from an old build.

Moderator: Please move this topic to the Atheros Forum.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lack of understanding how the internals of the firmware works, nothing more. Please do upgrade to current release. Also, Pale Moon Portable separate from your internet browsing in private mode is best.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
crespoh69
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Kong Builds are not longer available.

Here is the latest for R7800:

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2023/02-28-2023-r51887/netgear-r7800/

Flash the Webflash.bin

Then Reset to factory and reconfigure manually. Don't use a Backup from an old build.

Moderator: Please move this topic to the Atheros Forum.

So I tried the latest as well as the previous img listed on there after going back to factory. Both will put my router into a boot loop. Needed to use nmrpflash to recover both times. Any other tips? I found a guide but that's the one that suggests using kong.

EDIT: I tried the BIN listed on the link you suggested and that caused a boot loop. I then just tried the latest as well as the prior version found here https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/?model=R7800_v1

Same results both times
crespoh69
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so I feel I gave this a good try. I gave up and figured I would start from scratch on Kong since that seems to be the only firmware that doesn't cause me to bootloop. I saw it wasn't crashing the portal after clicking through a few menus so wondered if I should try my backup again. I tried it again and it's stable. I understand it's an old version but it's also the only working version for me it seems so I'm going to call it a night. Thanks for your help guys.
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's good that you got it sorted out in the end.

Here is some unsolicited advice for future flashing.

Take your time when flashing firmware from one version to another. It's a good idea to clear out the web browser cache immediately before flashing.

The image of a conductor rearranging the seatings of all musicians for a new concert performance is, perhaps, a good metaphor of flashing new firmware on the router. So, don't rush.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
You may have a unit with a bad spot on the flash chip.

Run the dmesg command and examine the output.
ArjenR49
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
... Pale Moon Portable separate from your internet browsing in private mode is best.

Pale Moon is not available in the repositories for Linux Mint. Is there a browser for the stated purpose that you would recommend for Linux Mint?

I have used Firefox in Linux for ages with dd-wrt and haven't noticed any problems, but since it is often advised against using a main stream browser for the GUI of dd-wrt, I'd like to try another browser and hopefully light weight, too ...
Thanks for any suggestions you might be able to make ...
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you have no problems there is no reason to change the browser.

I use Chrome and have no problems with it.
ArjenR49
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
If you have no problems there is no reason to change the browser.

I use Chrome and have no problems with it.

Figuring I can uninstall it just as quickly I tried Epiphany and must say it feels much quicker than Firefox. This is on a laptop with Linux Mint 21.1 and 16 GB.

My Raspberry Pi's run Chromium, when a browser is needed, but it is a terrible hog. Tens of processes in Htop and a hundred or more files in its config which fill my backup if I am not careful.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chrome not Chromium...
When others talk about chrome and think it's a resource hog I can only laugh.

100 tabs open 2% RAM consumption
400 tabs open everything runs soft , 32GB RAM laugh at it.

I suspect these are mainly windows users who complain and have installed numerous plugins with memleaks.

strangely enough, they always say that firefox is better.
I have banned after years firefox because with adblock it constantly had memleaks and has consumed tens of gigabytes and even filled up the SWAP until the browser is frozen.

well whatever
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
ArjenR49 wrote:
dale_gribble39 wrote:
... Pale Moon Portable separate from your internet browsing in private mode is best.

Pale Moon is not available in the repositories for Linux Mint. Is there a browser for the stated purpose that you would recommend for Linux Mint?

https://www.linuxcapable.com/how-to-install-pale-moon-browser-on-linux-mint-21-lts/

Your other option is Firefox ESR.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
best for DDWRT GUI for me so far is Pale-Moon (non chromium based) for both Linux and Win..
its very light browser..

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 14:33    Post subject: WebUI Reply with quote
Clear history or use a portable. Temporary cache bypass: Ctrl+F5, Cmd+Shift+R or new private window/incognito.
Old builds are going to have old problems try out old ESR browsers etc. and do not rely on bleeding edge versions.

Also Per Yngve Berg is right, boot loop results, R7800 very likely has defective or bad nand block(s) check dmesg.
Never use router database, but other downloads is fine. download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2023/
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
As was already stated, a lack of understanding:

Adding VLAN breaks a port

Relevant information is over two years old. Same ol' ****, another thread, different day.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: