Connection refused 2.4 Ghz every x time Tp Link Archer C7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:12    Post subject: Connection refused 2.4 Ghz every x time Tp Link Archer C7 Reply with quote
Hello.

I use tp link Archer C7 v2 with version ddrwt 39927 from 03/06/2019 (the reason for using this version is because it is the one that has always worked well for me and it is the last one that works well for me with DLNA).
I have used it without any problem since its date, until 2, 3 or 4 months ago.
From that moment, I have started to have problems with the wifi connection in 2.4 Ghz, every x time (sometimes days, sometimes hours) no device connects, and I get connection refused if I try to connect.
I have observed in status that, just connected, there are nearby devices that show 100% signal, and after x hours it starts to drop (they are right next to it) reaching below 50% until I suffer this problem and no longer connect none.
Until the problem came out, I was configuring the auto channel.
From the beginning of the problem I have started looking for solutions, setting the channel, and it doesn't matter which channel I set it to, sooner or later, the problem reappears.
"Funny" because, if I just go to the apply changes tab (without having made any changes) it reconnects/works perfectly for another x days or hours...

I have made different configurations following these reference threads / guides:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Atheros/ath_wireless_settings

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324014

Nothing fixes it, absolutely nothing...

I came to think it was the router, so I went back to stock tp link firmware and surprise, the problem disappeared, and what I see is:

Auto channel established, router start, connects to a channel, after a while, maybe channel saturation (don't know, mere deduction) does the same thing, devices start refusing the connection but... the firmware "resets" the channel , I see on its status page how it goes to channel 0, waits a bit and then establishes a different channel again. Sometimes in that first change it stays, or sometimes, after 2 or 3 minutes, it changes the channel again until it is left in one that works for me.
From what I deduce that, in auto channel (stock firmware) when it has this problem, it automatically makes a channel change.

In ddwrt this does not happen, or do I not have it configured correctly?

In ddwrt I have always configured it to HT40 (I only tried once in ht20 with very very low rates), in stock firmware I have it in auto and I see it is connecting to ht20, but with higher rates.

Is there any way to solve this problem?

I don't want to use stock firmware, I want to use ddwrt as I've been doing for the last few years, and I'm already desperate, to the point that I put stock firmware to see what would happen...

Thanks and regards.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
it could be due to many things...
-bad router settings
-bad client radio or bad client compatibility
-too many other routers nearby (congested frequency channel)
-bad PSU

in fact you are using very old build...lots of positive updates and security fixes since..
last build 51855 update than reset and manually configure your router...do not use old settings save file to restore..

than if issue still continues, post a pic of your wifi settings and advanced WIFI..do not use auto channel selection, for security use only aes wpa2 do not use tkip or other not compatible settings...

for example your Archer C7v2 has the same radio like my 1043v2 router and i don't have any issues with it..my 2,4ghz radio is flawless

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
First of all, thanks for your reply.

About the points you mention:

-bad router settings
I have tried so many settings that... in these 2, 3 or 4 months I have tried many different configurations (in advanced settings) so I cannot say one in particular, I always followed the posts here and the links indicated above.

-bad client radio or bad client compatibility
It happens to me with all the devices that connect, with stock firm, it doesn't happen to me...

-too many other routers nearby (congested frequency channel)
It is one of the causes that I think, many nearby routers but I cannot move mine from where it is. Channel congestion? I've tried all the channels...

-bad PSU
Discarded, I thought about it, I went to an electronics store, we measured with a multimeter, it's perfect. Just in case, I have a second one with the same characteristics and I tried it, and just in case, I tried a second router the same as mine (I asked a friend for it) same version, same everything (same firmware) and same result...

Correct, I use a very old firmware but... when I wanted to put a more current one, one from the year 2022, I do not use old settings save file to restore.
I update the firmware by resetting everything to the factory and I start to configure...everything is fine until I get to the point of SMB (Samba), when I activate...the router starts to go into a reboot loop and I can't do anything with it.
The only solution is to do a hard reset (10 seconds reset button) and return to my usual version, the one mentioned above.
I have tried activating Samba in many ways, the same thing always happens to me, loop restart of the router...

For security, yes, I use only aes wpa2 and not use tkip or other not compatible settings...

I will try to update to the version you mention, but this will happen to me, the router will go into a restart loop and from there it will not happen...

I'll try it this afternoon that I have free time, I'll post the results, be it one or the other, because really, I've been using ddwrt for several years and I don't want to stop using it...

That said, thank you for your reply, it is appreciated.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well..once you activate the samba (SMB), if your router goes in boot loop mode, than we need
more details about the cause of it..so, update to build 51855, activate log and kernel log, plug an usb thumb drive with jffs partition on it, as well turn on/enable auto mount, than activate save log to jffs option (down in the syslog menu) and export the log to .txt file and post it here...so, the other gurus will be able to have a look at it...(best is to provide serila log output but its difficult and need soldering)
Not bad to post a command dmesg output too..just in case...

Samba had lots of updates since that bold build you are using...make sure your settings are correct...and up to date...!

Are you by any means out of ram or nvram close to its max capacity...?

Im also running my 1043v2 radio in very congested environment at 40HT channel 11 + lower, Sort GI, Short preamble..country domain Canada .. and ect... ACK time 900 or 1350...

Also C7v2 has few different builds for it US, IL and global, do you run the correct build...?

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="Alozaros"]Well..once you activate the samba (SMB), if your router goes in boot loop mode, than we need
more details about the cause of it..so, update to build 51855, activate log and kernel log, plug an usb thumb drive with jffs partition on it, as well turn on/enable auto mount, than activate save log to jffs option (down in the syslog menu) and export the log to .txt file and post it here...so, the other gurus will be able to have a look at it...(best is to provide serila log output but its difficult and need soldering)
Not bad to post a command dmesg output too..just in case...[quote]
I will do that, I will install the version that you tell me, I am not a guru at all, I did it in the past about the jffs partition, I hope to do it well.
That way, provide as much data as possible to see the cause.

Quote:
Samba had lots of updates since that bold build you are using...make sure your settings are correct...and up to date...!

I have thought about it, when I have updated the version I have always done it with my hard disk connected, I am a Debian user and in the fstab I have configured the auto mount of the unit, the command I have is the following:

Code:
//192.168.1.5/Router /mnt/external cifs auto,users,vers=2.0,username=admin,password=mypassword,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 0 0

Also, without vers=2.0

Maybe this is a problem, it's the only thing I can think of.
If I have seen that you have updated samba a lot since my version, there are different options, I have tried all of them, same result.
This time, I'll do it by removing my fstab entry in case this is causing "something"...

Quote:
Are you by any means out of ram or nvram close to its max capacity...?

I don't know, I couldn't get to see it, once it enters the loopback restart, I can hardly see anymore, I don't have time...

Quote:
Im also running my 1043v2 radio in very congested environment at 40HT channel 11 + lower, Sort GI, Short preamble..country domain Canada .. and ect... ACK time 900 or 1350...

Similar ti my config, similar or the same (except the country Smile )

Quote:
Also C7v2 has few different builds for it US, IL and global, do you run the correct build...?

Yes, my region is Spain, I use the general build, not the US or IL, I use the general one.

As it will take me a while and I want to focus only on it, this afternoon that I have time I will do it, calmly, step by step, I will post all the possible information that I can provide.

Again, thank you for your reply and help.
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I've spent half an afternoon with it, it has taken me longer because, this latest version, the 51855 has a lot of new things / improvements and I wanted to see them (unconfigured, untested, but I wanted to see them).
Then I went to configure everything and applied changes at the end, back to the loopback reboot of the router.
So I have chosen to go, step by step, and in each configuration step I did, save, apply and restart and,... then I have seen that;

I have made a mistake in my previous post, I have commented that the router entered the restart loopback when I activated Samba, an error on my part, it is not when I activated Samba, it is when I configure the folder for DLNA, in the following image I show it.

In the image, when I apply the part numbered 1, I apply changes and restart, there is no problem, it is when I configure the route for the DLNA server, I save and apply and from there... it goes into loopback and I restart the router , leaving me as the only option, hard reset (10 seconds button).
This resets all the settings.

For what I have not been able to get to test this version in the aspect of wifi, which is my problem.
I would not like to do without the DLNA server.

Sorry, it's a dumb question, but in this version, I haven't seen where to activate jffs...the only thing I've seen, select partition for jffs, but not enable or disable jffs as there are in the previous ones (previous I mean the ones of the year that I use).

Thanks and regards
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
well jffs2 was removed from some routers...but, if you create jffs partition and name it jffs, than when automount is enabled, it will mount as a jffs...than under the syslog menu there must be save syslog to jffs ...if you talk about that jffs... Laughing

also what is your USB format...as it very preferable to be ext2 (for thum drive) ext3 or ext4 for hard disks...ntfs cold play funny...

and here my knowledge is done, as im not very acquainted to minidlna nor i use samba (SMB) (i know how to use it, but never had a need for those two) so, im not that experienced, especially with the new requirements around those 2 (my bad)... let see if someone else will pop in to help you out.. Cool

p.s. i think to make it work, you have to regenerate all dlna stuff from scratch ...as well on the usb...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
As always, thanks for your response and help!
Alozaros wrote:
well jffs2 was removed from some routers...but, if you create jffs partition and name it jffs, than when automount is enabled, it will mount as a jffs...than under the syslog menu there must be save syslog to jffs ...if you talk about that jffs... Laughing

Regarding jffs2, ok, no wonder I could already search and not find it in the guide, xD, the option to create it was to generate the syslog and provide information that could be of help.
I'll do that, create a partition called jffs2 and put it on automount.
Talking about it... is knowledge that escapes me, xD, I don't get to it... Smile

Quote:
also what is your USB format...as it very preferable to be ext2 (for thum drive) ext3 or ext4 for hard disks...ntfs cold play funny...

My current connected unit is a hard drive in NTFS format, I have always thought that it was the most compatible, both at the samba level and from my pc and from the smartv to see its content, but I see it through ddwrt's DLNA of course . I never thought that the best option was ext3 or ext4.
It costs me little to change the partition to ext4 and incidentally, I create one for jffs2.

Quote:
and here my knowledge is done, as im not very acquainted to minidlna nor i use samba (SMB) (i know how to use it, but never had a need for those two) so, im not that experienced, especially with the new requirements around those 2 (my bad)... let see if someone else will pop in to help you out.. Cool

And you don't know how I appreciate it.
I thought, if I can try, I can keep everything working except DLNA, I can try it for a while, I can get rid of it for a while, so if that's okay with you, I'll do that.
I will put the version of ddwrt that you have indicated, I will configure everything step by step except DLNA that I will not activate and I will save a backup of the configuration.
If I can solve my wifi problems with this, then the next step would be DLNA, but I can disable DLNA for a long period of time to test all of it.

Quote:
p.s. i think to make it work, you have to regenerate all dlna stuff from scratch ...as well on the usb...

In the usb it is to delete the folder where the index has been generated, I do that previously, generate everything... I think that when the DLNA step arrives, I will activate an option, only one, and I will go one by one until I find the one that does the router goes into reboot loopback...
But that, as I comment, second part.

With your permission, I'm going to do that, put the new version of ddwrt, configure everything except dlna and see if wifi is fixed.
I'll do it tomorrow, as soon as I do it, I'll put screenshots of the advanced wifi and security settings.
I'll cross my fingers to see if it works...

You don't know how grateful I am that you are there...
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
just to note, partition name is jffs... Cool

not jffs2...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:

not jffs2...

Oh, perfect, thanks!! name partition "jffs" (in ext4 for example)?
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
wonder_wonder wrote:
Alozaros wrote:

not jffs2...

Oh, perfect, thanks!! name partition "jffs" (in ext4 for example)?

yep for auto-mount in order to work, you need to name the partition either opt or jffs whatever partition you use...of course you can manually mount any partition...

also as you may noticed on the newer builds, at commands section there is save to usb script...button..

and this is to save any scripts/commands that are required to be executed after usb is mounted...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:

yep for auto-mount in order to work, you need to name the partition either opt or jffs whatever partition you use...of course you can manually mount any partition...

also as you may noticed on the newer builds, at commands section there is save to usb script...button..

and this is to save any scripts/commands that are required to be executed after usb is mounted...

OK thanks.
I will name the partition only with the name of jffs (it is the one you advised me to export data in case it keeps failing and to be able to see what happens).
I have always done the self-assembly in the old version, I hope I know how to do it in this new version... xD

Yes, I have seen the commands section completely different, redesigned, I had not noticed saving to usb, I see it as a good option, although obviously, the usb must be previously mounted, that is why auto-assembly is important and it is the first thing I do .

I have some commands (wake up pc every day, assign static arp tables...), I will see that little by little, now the first thing and it was what made me desperate was the loss of Wi-Fi during these last 2 or 3 months .

I understand that, jffs and the partition for my multimedia, in ext4 is a good option (correct me if I'm wrong).

As always, thanks for your help and being there.

PS: Today I wanted to do it, the work was extended so I could not make a "break in work" to dedicate the time I need to this. I hope I can do it tomorrow.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
if the problems with wi-fi continue..and you claim those are firmware related..than you have to start digging in that direction...(like kernel logs saved to jffs, or even over another PC running syslog), but if those wi-fi errors are present even in the old versions of the firmware, than you have to think either a device flooding your wi-fi with bogus traffic...(smart device or IoT) or faulty hardware...

do you have radio scripts related or running wi-fi on/off schedule...?
how much ram is left on your device (functional ram) as well how much of the nvram is left too..?

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Smile
Alozaros wrote:
if the problems with wi-fi continue..and you claim those are firmware related..than you have to start digging in that direction...(like kernel logs saved to jffs, or even over another PC running syslog), but if those wi-fi errors are present even in the old versions of the firmware, than you have to think either a device flooding your wi-fi with bogus traffic...(smart device or IoT) or faulty hardware...

No, I don't know if it's due to the firmware or not, I don't know the cause. When the problems started, I started doing tests, and seeing that none of them worked and my despair began, when I tried the stock firmware and saw it, it reset the auto channel until it found the correct one, something that with ddwrt has not happened to me (and I would like to to do it, xD)
I haven't added any more devices in my home, I don't have anything that can flood Wi-Fi, I have the same devices as before the problems started but... maybe a neighbor has added something, I don't know that...

Quote:
do you have radio scripts related or running wi-fi on/off schedule...?
how much ram is left on your device (functional ram) as well how much of the nvram is left too..?

I don't have radio scripts, I don't have wifi on/off schedule, no wifi rules or anything...
On the ram, it is always usually 70%-60% free and 40% busy, more or less, that is always the average.
About nvram, I think I don't have it enabled.
Right now, for work reasons, I have the stock firmware.

It doesn't cost me anything to put my usual firmware back on, starting from scratch and doing the channel configuration that you indicated above, it would take me no more than half an hour and, although I'm during business hours, I can do it.
Putting the new current firmware on it, I do want to do it with more time, I see that it has many new things and with that I do want to go more calmly.
But if it is to test, put my old firm, I can put that now, configure Wi-Fi as indicated above and see. I would select channel 11, which is the one that the stock firm has assigned me.

As always, very grateful
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
nvram is the one that us see down at the sysinfo, is usually 32k or 64k and this is the ram where settings are saved..(you can reset router via command nvram erase)
sometimes when this ram is getting close to full capacity routers tend to behave odd...same is for the working ram...(your is 128MB )
as ram are based on blocks, there could be bad blocks on those too..
i can post you my 1043v2 WiFi config, if this will help you out.
there is a new build 51887...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: