OpenVPN can access LAN & ping WAN but browsing fails or

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
puterboy2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:10    Post subject: OpenVPN can access LAN & ping WAN but browsing fails or Reply with quote
I am using openvpn via dd-wrt r49532 to access remotely both my home LAN and also the WAN from a WiFi hotspot using a Win11 laptop (running an OpenVPN client).

I have no problem accessing my LAN or pinging the WAN (using either IP addresses or FQDN's) via the VPN. Everything works fine without delay. Even using bandwidth intensive apps like NoMachine NX.

However, when I try to browse Internet sites(using Chrome or Edge) over the VPN, my laptop browser often either fails to load or loads very slowly. Sometimes the first webpage loads a little sluggish and later web pages load even slower or not at all. Sometime it seems to work mostly fine for a while.

Interestingly, though, Google and Bing searches don't seem to be throttled. Just access to websites themselves.

I don't believe this is a bandwidth problem on the home LAN/dd-wrt side since I have no problem browsing from my LAN. (I can even browse remotely over the VPN if I use NoMachine NX to access my LAN server and browse from my home server over NX)

The problem seems to occur mostly when logging in via public Wifi sites (e.g., hotels, airports) but not from friend's Wifi (though I haven't tried this enough to be 100% sure) or from mobile data.

Similar issues occur on my Pixel 5a Android phone when run under OpenVPN on the same WiFi hotspots.

The challenge here is that the behavior is not consistent -- the extent of browser slowing or throttling is variable.

Is it possible that the public Wifi spot (hotel or airport) or maybe even my ISP (RCN) are somehow throttling VPN usage but only when used to access remote Internet sites?

This would seem not to make sense for the Wifi hot spot since then access to my home LAN should also be slowed since the Wifi hot spot provider shouldn't have any clue whether traffic stops at my LAN or proceeds from there to an Internet site on the WAN.
Also, not sure how my ISP would differentiate between HTTP traffic that is initiated remotely from the VPN vs from the LAN.

Any ideas what could be causing this flaky browsing behavior?
Sponsor
hellf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you look at MTU already?
puterboy2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
hellf wrote:
Did you look at MTU already?

On the dd-wrt server side, I am using the (default)
Code:
openvpn_mtu=1400

and
Code:
openvpncl_mssfix=0
openvpn_mssfix=0

On the openvpn client side, I am using:
Code:
tun-mtu 1400

- Is this likely to be the source of the problem?
- Would I be better off setting mtu to zero which presumably would let openvpn decide the MTU size?
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you read the most current documentation? The linked wiki was last updated ~3 years ago. There have been many changes since then. Please consider upgrading to current release.

OpenVPN guides and documentation

https://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2023/02-20-2023-r51787/netgear-r6700v3/

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: