Very Unexpected Issues on EA8500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
wheaton4prez
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 19:03    Post subject: Very Unexpected Issues on EA8500 Reply with quote
Hello. I am a long-time user of DD-WRT (over 6 years).

I've been using an EA8500 for most of that time. My pattern has been to update every few months or so. I've had some hiccups here and there along the way. But, for the most part, this has worked smoothly 95% of the time.

However, with the last upgrade to 51506 (https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=333802) something has gone very wrong.

After update, the GUI was broken (second row of main nav tabs hidden beneath a giant "log out" button). And there was no internet connection.

I was able to change the GUI style in order to access the buttons. I then copied down all of my settings so I could restore later and reset to default settings.

That brought back a correct GUI and it was connected to the internet at that moment. So, I proceeded to apply my previous settings. The first change is going from local IP 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1.

After making that change, saving and applying settings the router would not boot back up. I turned it off/on after some time. It still would not become available on either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.

The only way I could bring a GUI back was to use the pin-reset button on the EA8500. Of course, that brings it back to 192.168.1.1.

I tried rolling back to an older version. But, I'm getting the same behavior now even on old builds that used to work normally.

Even stranger, now my internet connection, directly from the modem itself does not work even when plugged in directly to a computer, bypassing the router.

In summary, after updating to 51506, my router bricks every time I try to change its Local IP address (even after rolled back to older builds). At the same time, my ISP modem (Ting Internet) no longer gives internet access even when bypassing the router. It's like the modem has gone into some kind of panic mode.

Does this combination of issues ring a bell for anyone regarding what may have happened?

Is it possible that something became permanently damaged in the router so that it can't update the Local IP Address and/or other settings?

UPDATE: I was able to get the settings switch to 192.168.0.1 on 51184. I really don't think I did anything differently. Just tried the same thing and maybe waited longer before resetting?

So, from there I was able to restore all of my old settings and local network is ok.

But, internet still off from modem. Tech coming out from Ting on Monday. But, I feel like there has to be a fix here...

Has anyone had changes to their router cause a modem to stop giving out connections?
Sponsor
matjazk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you try nvram erase && reboot from the command line? It is advisable to do it after such trouble.

Also, did you try to disconnect the router from your network an connect it only to the computer with a static IP, such as 192.168.1.10 (via cable)? Then change the IP in router, change the static IP in your computer to, say, 192.168.0.10, and see if it works.

As a side note, do you have any other routers on your network, perhaps as access points?
I had a situation with an AP (unwisely) configured for DHCP. After the main router went haywire after an update (fortunately an isolated occasion), the AP somehow reconfigured itself after a reboot so that the entire network was unusable, and the main route inaccesible. My solution was to turn off the AP, correctly configure the main router, and turn everything on sequentially, starting with the main router.
wheaton4prez
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
matjazk wrote:
Did you try nvram erase && reboot from the command line? It is advisable to do it after such trouble.

Also, did you try to disconnect the router from your network an connect it only to the computer with a static IP, such as 192.168.1.10 (via cable)? Then change the IP in router, change the static IP in your computer to, say, 192.168.0.10, and see if it works.

As a side note, do you have any other routers on your network, perhaps as access points?
I had a situation with an AP (unwisely) configured for DHCP. After the main router went haywire after an update (fortunately an isolated occasion), the AP somehow reconfigured itself after a reboot so that the entire network was unusable, and the main route inaccesible. My solution was to turn off the AP, correctly configure the main router, and turn everything on sequentially, starting with the main router.

Thank you. That command line option is what I was looking for earlier.

In fact, I do have another router on the network. It has DHCP disabled though. And I turned it off pretty early on in troubleshooting.

It turned out to be something on Ting's side. I made a second call to them to see if a different tech could push the right buttons. As soon as he reset the lease my router saw it. Then I just needed to power cycle everything and internet was back.

I'm still baffled at how a router firmware update could affect the modem like that. I guess it maybe looked like a new device and was refusing to give it a lease until something was reset at the ISP side?
matjazk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad you sorted it out. Perhaps one of our resident gurus can chime in...
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some modems hold on to existing lease, or do not recognize a new request.
Just power cycle the modem it's usually enough after a router has rebooted.
Worst case, keep the modem off for 5 to 10 minutes for the ISP's side reset.
If there is a modem management you can log into, manually release renew.

Clear your browser history or use private browsing mode, or use a portable.
Keep modem and router on their own separate IP network blocks or ranges.
Disconnect router's WAN Ethernet if needing to avoid IP conflict reconfigure.

I'm guessing ISP situation is double NAT or CG-NAT so no true bridge mode.
But, some ISP have IP Passthrough also known as DMZ+ or DMZplus YMMV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: