Router deleted everything -> How to set it as an Repeater

Nikkei
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 23:38    Post subject: Router deleted everything -> How to set it as an Repeater Reply with quote
Hi, so my Router decided that it will delete everything out of some reason and I have no Backup, of course.
I am now trying to get the Settings right, to configure it as an Repeater, but there are still some problems I can´t find.

Netgear N300
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r48141 (01/21/22, the last time I updated I got more problems that it solved...

My Router is connected to an Hub and to this Hub are my Clients connected.

So, I was able to configure it so that two of my Clients were able to connect properly. But there were several problems and then I resetted the Router.

Now:
I am able to access the WLAN and I am able to connect from my PC to the Internet/Router, but my other Clients are not able to.

I suspect that it has something todo with DHCP since it is not activated at the moment and I believe that it was. And I don´t know how to activate it again.

Also, the WAN Connection Type is Disabled, I believe that this too, was enabled. Again, no idea where I can activate it.

You can see my Settings in the Attachments.
The only other changes is that the Firewall is of and WOL activated for the Tower.

-> Do you see something that does not fit? How do I activate DHCP and WAN?

ddwert-settings2.png
 Description:
more
 Filesize:  29.03 KB
 Viewed:  602 Time(s)

ddwert-settings2.png

ddwrt_settings1.png
 Description:
basics
 Filesize:  106.35 KB
 Viewed:  602 Time(s)

ddwrt_settings1.png

Sponsor
Nikkei
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ohh in case it matters.
In one of my Clients I specifically defined the DNS1/2 in the Network Settings.

Also, Fire TV says that it´s connected to the Network, but no Internet. And when I am pinging it from my PC I get nothing.

Ohhh. curious.
I just found that my PC has the IP 10.0.0.240 with Standardgateway as the Internet Router. I just changed that on my Fire TV and now it works.

Can anyone explain why this is the case? In my previous Install it was 192....
Why is the Router suddenly not setting it´s own IP Range and instead forwards the others?
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Repeater is used to describe a router which is connected wirelessly.

From your post I gathered that you are connected by ethernet cable.
If so you have to set up as a Wireless Acces Point (WAP)

I would reset to defaults again and then setup like this (this is how I am doing it)

A Wireless Access Point (WAP) is secondary router connected wired LAN<>LAN on the same subnet as the primary router.
Setup:
• On Basic Setup page:
o WAN disabled
o DHCP server Disabled (=off and NOT set as Forwarder!)
o Local IP address in subnet of primary router but outside DHCP scope, make sure the used IP address is unique on your network you cannot have duplicates.
o Gateway and Local DNS pointing to primary router

• Keep DNSMasq enabled (both on Basic Setup page and Services page)
• On Setup > Advanced Routing, keep Operating mode in the default Gateway (the wiki says Router mode but do not do that, either it does not matter (this case) or break things)
• On Security > Firewall keep the SPI Firewall enabled, although you do not want a firewall it will be automatically disabled as there is no WAN so no need to change this setting form default.
• Connect LAN <> LAN (do not use the WAN port unless you really need that extra port, for most routers traffic still must use the CPU so performance is lacklustre and there are some routers where the WAN port is not added to br0 so the WAN port could be non-functional on some routers).

Note: For Broadcom routers for best throughput enable CTF on Basic Setup Page

If you have unbridged interfaces on the WAP (Virtual Access Point (VAP) , bridge etc ), you have to add the following rule to the firewall in order to get internet access.
In the web-interface of the router (the WAP): Administration > Commands save Firewall:
#Always necessary (alternatively set static route on main router and NAT traffic from VAP/Bridge out via WAN):
Quote:
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o br0 -j SNAT --to $(nvram get lan_ipaddr)

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: