Firmware update: when is a good time to factory reset?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Tectonic Plates
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 19:42    Post subject: Firmware update: when is a good time to factory reset? Reply with quote
Is is recommended to perform a factory reset after updating firmware?

In case it is not necessary. If I do a reset from time to time (and restore the setting backup made before reset). Would this do any good?
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is generally not advised to use a previous firmware version backup to restore settings. Main reason being that nvram variables may change over time during development. Reset is really only required if you run into gremlins that cannot be overcome by configuration changes or due to possible nvram corruption. Screenshot or save config pages as PDF is another viable option in case you do have to reset and don't have config notes handy.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Tectonic Plates
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
It is generally not advised to use a previous firmware version backup to restore settings. Main reason being that nvram variables may change over time during development.

In the past, I did often reset + restore previous settings. Never had any troubles. But since Oct 2022, I began to see instabilities. In the minor consequence case, the restore is completed, but the router (Netgear R7000) is factory reset instead of applying the restore. Then a 2nd restore of the same backup is successful.

In the worst case I got last week, when restoring on top of firmware 2023-01-19. The R7000 router was bricked. Which fortunately I could recover using the MNRPflash method thanks to foum member help.

Should I understand from you answer is that the good practice is:

• Always flash with option "After flashing = Do not reset" ?
  • Reset only when there is obvious issue. And restore by re-configuring manually
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Restoring from a previous build is garbage out, garbage in.

Not useful at all.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: