[DESTROYED] "access point" "no internet"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
pmarion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well THAT is easy.

I found the pinout to the router, again, in one of the already provided links. I saw a link on one of the pages about serial connection on the WNDR3400. so reading that that is my next step, thank you.

Serial Pinouts

JP1 = 3.3v TTL Serial, 115200/8/N , 1 row of six pins

GND 6 o
RX 5 o
N/C 4 o
N/C 3 o
TX 2 o
VCC 1 o

this setup was tested on the 3/20/2013, some other websites are showing the RX and TX opposite and this why does not work for this type of router

Sponsor
pmarion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess Im going to order some pin header strips and TRY to solder them, so it will be several days before I can work on the serial output.
pmarion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Header is installed. Hope to get output soon.

Edit:
So, please correct me if I am wrong:
I connect the serial cable to the USB port on my PC
I connect the network cable between the PC & router.
I follow the instructions in the Serial Recovery thread to tftp into the router.
I have to go back to read again, but I will issue commands via tftp.
What does the serial connection do? Do I access a log through it? Sorry if I am being dense.

Edit 2: The following, from the Serial Thread, contains 2 dead links:

Then downloaded the <<Prolific driver>>
The <<updated 1.4.17 driver>> supposedly provides better support for Vista/Win7.
(Links denoted by <<Link>>)

The following is the link for the only prolific driver listed for PL2303:

https://prolificusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/PL23XX_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v408.zip
Windows Driver Installer Setup Program ( Win7 / Win8.1 / Win10 / Win11)
Installer version & Build date: 4.0.8 (2022-07-28 )

dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Serial will provide access to the CFE via CTRL+C or other means on Broadcom. It will also provide output of the device booting up or failing to boot, etc. This is IF PuTTY is configured properly...

pmarion wrote:

Edit 2: The following, from the Serial Thread, contains 2 dead links:

Then downloaded the <<Prolific driver>>

The <<updated 1.4.17 driver>> supposedly provides better support for Vista/Win7.
(Links denoted by <<Link>>) <<-- This is from the WIKI, not the thread linked in the WIKI.

The following is the link for the only prolific driver listed for PL2303:

https://prolificusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/PL23XX_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v408.zip
Windows Driver Installer Setup Program ( Win7 / Win8.1 / Win10 / Win11)
Installer version & Build date: 4.0.8 (2022-07-28 )

Unfortunately, there is always a possibility of dead links from a thread that is over 10 years old or in any wiki. I read through the thread (again) and found:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=56739&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=108

which contains a quote from this thread (and includes a dead link for an older driver):

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=71462

Please see edited quoted post of yours. It sure helps to link posts instead of sending someone on a goose chase. There are also certain Prolific adapters that require an older driver because they do not work with the latest driver. Only moderators can edit threads, and only those with wiki access can fix wikis. Everyone appreciates your due diligence.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
pmarion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was hoping you would forward the info to a mod, thank you. Sorry, I figured you knew where the serial thread was (posted link on page 1 of this thread.) I don't even need the Prolific driver, but wanted to report the dead links in case someone else needed them.

The serial adapter I got has a Silicon Labs CP2102 chipset.
I found the driver (CP210x_Universal_Windows_Driver), and instructions on installation, but the adapter is not detected by UVCView.x86.exe or USBView. According to the release notes, the CP2102 is supported by Windows 10 & 11. I guess I can look into the Linux subsystem (or load Linux on a laptop) if I can't get this to work.
Unknown territory for me, but I'll plug away. Thank you for replying.

EDIT: I installed the CP210x_VCP_Windows driver, and now the adapter is detected, although it appears to show hardware (or driver) errors.

gregcrago
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just flashed dd-wrt.v24-51440_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-WNDR3400.chk on top of dd-wrt.v24-39715_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNDR3400.chk and got a hang up while waiting the 400second dialog box. The GREEN power light stayed lit and the AMBER half of the power light was flashing ( I have the cover off) Upon rebooting, the 39715 build was stilll running. I was going to flash 48322 build.
I have a USB to TTL and can hook it up if needed.
gregcrago
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
where is dd-wrt.v24-50963_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-nv64k.bin available for download. It is tested in wiki, but no download link. I have looked int the Betas database and cannot find it
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
gregcrago wrote:
where is dd-wrt.v24-50963_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-nv64k.bin available for download. It is tested in wiki, but no download link. I have looked int the Betas database and cannot find it

Quite honestly, none of that build information is in the forum whatsoever and cannot be relied upon. Some people need to be a little more helpful to the developer, then we wouldn't have threads like this popping up.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/11-28-2022-r50963/broadcom_K26/

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/11-28-2022-r50963/broadcom_K3X/

Hopefully, at some point, a mod will split this hijack out of this thread...

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
pmarion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, I'm hopelessly lost now, my apologies. I soldered on the header, connected the cable and got power. I detect the port. I have putty installed, and telnet on windows.
I read that I must hit CTRL-C within 1 - 2 seconds of plugging in the router via serial port, and I have tried to do so with the RX & TX in both configurations, but how does the router "know" that this break is meant for it? With Putty, I cannot even set the port unless the router is connected, and it will not connect regardless of the boot or connection config. Just for shits & giggles, I tried Telnet from Terminal, with no success.
What am I doing wrong and missing? Can I boot with a Linux rescue disk on thumb drive and run a portable utility, and if so, is that easier than what I am doing?

I read both the peacock thread and the Broadcom Serial thread, and I obviously don't understand the process.

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rattle CTRL+C and apply power.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
pmarion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having zero luck. My wife plugged it in while I hit ctrl-c. Putty does not access it. I get a solid green cursor, and cannot enter any commands (although when I unplug it, putty alerts that it cannot read from the serial port any longer.)
Unless someone can walk me through this, I give up.

-----
2023-02-07 11:22:31 Opening serial device COM3
2023-02-07 11:22:31 Configuring baud rate 115200
2023-02-07 11:22:31 Configuring 8 data bits
2023-02-07 11:22:31 Configuring 1 stop bit
2023-02-07 11:22:31 Configuring no parity
2023-02-07 11:22:31 Configuring no flow control
2023-02-07 11:22:47 Starting serial break at user request
2023-02-07 11:22:48 Finished serial break

and

2023-02-07 11:32:25 Looking up host "192.168.1.1" for SSH connection
2023-02-07 11:32:25 Connecting to 192.168.1.1 port 22
2023-02-07 11:32:25 We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY_Release_0.78
2023-02-07 11:32:46 Failed to connect to 192.168.1.1: Network error: Connection timed out
2023-02-07 11:32:46 Network error: Connection timed out

EDIT: I found it at a different IP address, but I don't know uname & pwd. Creds from router setup are not working.

EDIT2: I'm an idiot - that's my live primary router. ):

dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why would you ssh and serial at the same time? It's not required. It may be that the connections are wrong, or may require the removal of ground lead until powered up or some other quirk. As long as PuTTY is configured properly and the driver for the adapter is working without issue and you did NOT connect the red Vcc lead, you should have output if your header was soldered properly. Did you test the pins with a multimeter?

USB to TTL Tips - HOW TO FIX Garbage/Garbled PuTTY output

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
pmarion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
First I Tried serial, then I went to SSH.
I will test the pinout I found in the broadcom thread and posted earlier in this thread.

pmarion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Will you please correct any steps or info that is incorrect in the following? Eventually, i'm sure someone else will benefit from this "dumbed down" set of instructions

1) Connect 3 wires to the router - Ground, TX, and RX. (leave 3.3 and 5 volt from the USB side disconnected.)
    Serial Pinouts

JP1 = 3.3v TTL Serial, 115200/8/N , 1 row of six pins

GND 6 o
    RX 5 o
    N/C 4 o
    N/C 3 o
    TX 2 o
    VCC 1 o

2) Open Putty and set the communication settings as listed here:
    baud: 115200
    databits: 8
    stopbits: 1
    parity: None
    Flow Control: None
    Set SSH and the connection protocol and enter the router's IP address, plus Port 22

3) In Putty, go to Window > Translation > and check "Enable VT100 line drawing even in UTF-8 mode".
4) Optional - save settings for future connections.
5) In Putty, open an SSH session, then immediately plug in the cable while hitting CTRL-C in order to break the boot and allow access.
6) Note: Router lights illuminate as does the LED on the serial adapter when router is connected.

This is the process I have tried with no luck. I *did* have the 3.3V connection (as marked on the adapter itself), but have since tried without it with no change. I have grnd, rx, and tx wires connected to pins 2, 5, and 6 as per the diagram, leaving 1 with no connection. (see photo)
I do not have power or a network cable connected - it appears to get power from the serial connection. I have not run out to my shop for a DVOM to test cable connections, but instead, I am using the pins shown for a WNDR3400 in the Broadcom Serial thread, shown above.

I know this is old hat to you DD-WRT gurus, but it's all Greek to me as a complete neophyte.

pmarion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 15:46    Post subject: Goodbye Reply with quote
OK, I'm done.

I do not say the following maliciously, but rather, so you can consider the "new user experience" here:

My first post on this forum was a humble request for help.
The first reply included a rant about how not reporting issues is a DISSERVICE (caps as quoted) to the other members of the board.
Throughout this 3-page thread, only a few of my questions were answered directly (and I thank you for those answers). Many answers were in the form of links to threads that I am supposed to read through to try to figure out the answer. I've spent $15 for a serial cable and headers, and another $10 to support the board so I can try to HELP and not be a "disservice" to the community.
My last post requested specific details about this process that I was attempting to complete as a service to the community, but it remains unanswered.

I am an admin of a motorcycle forum. We welcome EVERY new member, and we try to act in a manner that makes new users feel like they are a part of the community. Here, I have felt as if I am a PITA and that you "gurus" are "above" dealing with me in a one-on-one basis. All you have done was to post short, dry answers and contribute to my feeling that I am NOT part of this forum.

So, I'm done. I can't help you since you can't stoop to dealing with a newbie as if they are valued and wanted here.

Maybe you're too busy to help, but judging by the other posts you make in a day, it does not seem this way. So, take it as you will, but I feel as if I have been run off.

Best wishes, and thank you for the help in configuring my WAP.
I'm done trying to get you your serial output, however, after trying to get the exact details and process down for at least a couple of weeks. I'll chalk up the $25 I spent up to a poor decision on my part.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: