WAN IP 0.0.0.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
netman79
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 15:31    Post subject: WAN IP 0.0.0.0 Reply with quote
I have two routers with DD-WRT, TP Link wr841nd and Asus Rt-N66U. The first one works just fine, I mean it's not perfect, sometime it hangs after a few weeks of non-stop service but other than that it's been good. With Asus I see a few issues, like clock not updating even with NTP server configured. All those small issues I can ignore but the biggest one is WAN IP is not getting picked up on DHCP auto, or even manual, with local DHCP server on. If I do DHCP forwarding and specify the IP of gateway it seems to work but on its own it loses the internet. I've seem some people complaining about it, some gave up and went back to factory firmware, some fixed it by resetting/rebooting and other such tricks. I've tried telnet, clear vram and other suggestions but nothing helped me. It looks to me as the router works fine if it lets other router manage the networks with DHCP forwarding but to have its own network it works fine with giving IP addresses away etc.. but loses connection to WAN server.

I can provide logs, answer questions if anyone is willing to look at it.

Thanks
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
What builds are you running?

How is your network setup, e.g. are both router connected to the internet?

If only one router is connected to the internet how is the other router setup

Using DHCP Forwarder is usually the wrong choice, either you have the secondary router on its own subnet or setup as a Wireless Access point.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
netman79
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've tried last two (current) builds, Jan 12 and 09, both mega and big. None made any difference.

My setup is fiber to home, small/mini wired router which has 4 lan ports. Currently I have the TP-link router connected to it and I replaced it with Asus N66U and it didn't pick up an IP from that fiber ISP router. I made it connect to TP link router with DHCP forwarding and then it worked, I had the internet. Once I cancelled DHCP forwarding and tried to turn the server on I would lose the interent. Let me just add that no matter if it's DHCP forwarding or DHCP server is on I always see status of WAN IP 0.0.0.0, this never changes but with the forwarding I get the internet working at least. Also, with DHCP server on and DHCP auto for WAN it doesn't work either directly to ISP router or through my TP link, basically WAN IP is always 0.0.0.0.

Yes, that's what I did, AP through DHCP forwarding through my TP Link and it worked fine as far as wireless interent goes, phones got connected etc..., but then I need to have TP link plugged in too. I'd rather get rid of it and replace TP link with Asus.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need to either power down your ONT and the Asus for 5 minutes or you need to post screen shots of the TP-Link's configuration details and possibly provide ISP information to see if there is an obvious configuration error in your Asus or not. You have yet to provide screenshots of your Asus configurations or logs. This is most likely a configuration issue, not a DD-WRT bug.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
netman79
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
You need to either power down your ONT and the Asus for 5 minutes or you need to post screen shots of the TP-Link's configuration details and possibly provide ISP information to see if there is an obvious configuration error in your Asus or not. You have yet to provide screenshots of your Asus configurations or logs. This is most likely a configuration issue, not a DD-WRT bug.

Thank you, I'm attatching my configuration. Please wait while the GIF goes through all the screenshots. There's a 3 limit so I put them all in one GIF. I haven't done any custom settings, just basic ones to my limited knowledge. I'm able to get to router because I set my IP for my network card to 192.168.1.2 while wifi gets auto 188 address from the ISP router like the rest of the network. On other devices without the static 192.168.1.2 I'm not able to get to it. Also just setting 192.168.1.2 cuts off from the internet, I'm able to get to the router but no internet. So to get to the router and use the interent I need two network cards, one with static for the router and the other dynamic with 188 address. Thanks.

configs.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.53 KB
 Viewed:  929 Time(s)

configs.gif

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why do you have the router IP as your static DNS? Does your ISP use CGNAT? Does your ISP require VLAN tagging since it seems to not require PPPoE? Do you have VLANs tab enabled? Seems as if something is missing here, did you reset the Asus at all in the process? Wondering if the physical ethernet ports are reversed or there is another issue. BrainSlayer said it is a configuration problem, but not knowing how the TP-Link is configured vs. how your Asus is configured, I cannot begin to guess.

----------------------
netman79
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Why do you have the router IP as your static DNS? Does your ISP use CGNAT? Does your ISP require VLAN tagging since it seems to not require PPPoE? Do you have VLANs tab enabled? Seems as if something is missing here, did you reset the Asus at all in the process? Wondering if the physical ethernet ports are reversed or there is another issue. BrainSlayer said it is a configuration problem, but not knowing how the TP-Link is configured vs. how your Asus is configured, I cannot begin to guess.

I got it fixed. Thanks kernal-panic69 for your help. I always did resets with the reset button, never with the WPS button. I went back to the instructions and came across this detail. Once I did a WPS reset I got an IP right away from the WAN router. So far everything is working fine. Sorry for the mess up. I just have one question, you asked about DNS IP of my router. I'm trying to run dnsmasq and one of the videos on youtube instructed to do just that. If it's not necessary for dnsmasq then I'll throw it out. This the only reason I have it there. Thanks
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Probably a throwback from when you had to enter that for local DNS, which no longer applies. Absolutely unnecessary, but there are plenty of discussions about configuring dnsmasq and dns servers, etc. in the forum...

Anyhow, glad to hear you figured it out and got it sorted!

#cha-ching!

----------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: