Apple working on its own Wi-Fi chip

LizardWizard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 15:58    Post subject: Apple working on its own Wi-Fi chip Reply with quote
Saw this article today. They will be dropping Qualcomm and Broadcom. What are your thoughts? Time to prepare for a whole new world of pain? Or will things become easier?

https://wccftech.com/apple-working-on-chip-that-provides-cellular-wi-fi-bluetooth-connectivity/
Sponsor
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Many years ago I worked in modem design as a signal-processing EE and programmer for a couple of years and so learned just how much I didn't know. Eventually I spent years studying up and then working and teaching in the area at a deeper level including closely reviewing research. And my take is that this area is probably 100x more complex than Apple assumes, with a wicked learning curve. It's not for beginners or generic EEs and programmers or even a small army of new PhDs, so Apple is almost certainly going to fall flat on its corporate face. The question is whether they'll realize they have done so before they release their beginner designs in products. I do not want to own those beginner products, and I'll be aiming to update our iOS devices before any such appear.

And I'm not 100% speculating, because Apple won't be the first gigantic "name" company I've watched fall flat attempting to jump into high-performance modem design from scratch. It was painful to see then, and it will be so again.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes apple is known for its compatibility Laughing
the products work well in an apple ecosystem but as soon as you use them with other devices ...
i just remind you of the very popular ipods to which you could only transfer music via iTunes because apple thought that a working USB mass storage mode was not needed

USB ports on current devices are of course not needed either
but there are enough people who buy it
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just make it all part of the M1 / M2 chip and fuck all. Apple's willingness to snub every hardware manufacturer and become 100% proprietary is very telling. It will result in smart people dropping them like they are a hot pile of shit.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
LizardWizard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
Apple is almost certainly going to fall flat on its corporate face. The question is whether they'll realize they have done so before they release their beginner designs in products.

Well I guess you were right, at least for now. Apple has taken a step back with this decision.

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/01/26/apple-designed-wi-fi-chip-paused/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: