Want to turn old Windows 10 machine into Webserver and more

TimPerc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 13:48    Post subject: Want to turn old Windows 10 machine into Webserver and more Reply with quote
I'll start by saying I am making a bunch of assumptions based on what I know. If I am wrong, please let me know, Here is the network setup I am going for.
I bought a Synology nas some time ago, hoping it would help me in this endeavor, but I seem to have bought an under-powered one.

Modem
|
Router---- Webserver in its own network (no connect to home computers)
|
--- Wifi +Lan router connected to all home computers and printer

My Goals for the webserver:
1) I have a domain name already registered. I used to use this, and a bunch of web pages stored in GoDaddy to serve family photos to anyone going to my page. I want to serve those web pages from my home Webserver.
2) Would be great to also be able to use it as a Minecraft server.
3) Even better if I am also use it to serve movies to my kids in other states.
4) I'd like to achieve my goals without paying a monthly fee. I don't mind paying up front for a nice router, but I'd rather not may AWS or Azure.

My questions:
1) Do I need a static IP address? Is there a cheap/free way of getting one?
2) Do I need a better Router that my 8+ year old one? If so, which do you recommend?
3) Is there a bunch of instructions a semi-technical guy can follow? Link?
4) How safe can I feel with this server on its own lan, and not have bad guys on my private network?
5) Are there easy instruction on how to achieve goals 2+3? I have not had good luck getting a Plex server working.
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am just going to give a quick response, because I know others will chime in and this is can be a very long/complex answer

1. No you do not need a static address, but it would be easier... there are services such as dyndns, which lets people point to that and it runs a service that regularly contacts a server to establish what the current dynamic address is. Dynamic address service like this is less reliable but doable.... And just for note, usually dhcp addresses do not change as long as the system is up regularly and renews that address.
2. Probably, but it depends... there are stickies for the popular suggested DD-WRT routers... pfsense, and linux based routers
3. Yes there should be based on web searches, but do each individual goal, such as setting up a minecraft server...
4. It is a matter of keeping your system patched and if you want add more restrictions. Security is not perfect and there can be zero days and flaws discovered, so it is never a set and forget. My suggestion would be to isolate the server from the rest of your network (say a different subnet)
5. yes ... see #3
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check out Linode and other VPS providers. Will get you better performance than a home server.
TimPerc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Check out Linode and other VPS providers. Will get you better performance than a home server.

Thank you for the reply, but this has a monthly fee. If I wanted that, I could have stayed with GoDaddy.

Is there a more appropriate place/forum for my question? Can a kind person tell me where I would get more specific answers?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/webserver
tyronjean
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the realm of captivating animated storytelling, 'Coco' isn't just a movie; it's a vibrant celebration of family, culture, and the power of music. Directed by Lee Unkrich and Adrian Molina, this 2017 Pixar masterpiece transports audiences to the colorful Land of the Dead on Dia de los Muertos. The film's stunning animation, heartfelt narrative, and the infusion of Mexican folklore create a cinematic experience that resonates with audiences of all ages. 'Coco' isn't just a favorite animated film; it's a joyous and emotionally resonant journey that pays homage to the importance of remembering our roots from 123movieshub.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: