Archer C7 v2 - Connectivity rejection every x days 2.4 Ghz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
my 1043v2 with wrong PS (the one from my dsl modem) was behaving odd with my WiFi so check yours
i also use ch 11 + lower 40ht to be precise country domain panama or canada and tx power lowered to 24dbm just 1 less than its max power 25dbm

my 1043v2 wifi is rock solid and we have various clients but no IoT, mostly tablets, phones and PC/laptops...wifi could stall on udp or tcp flood by a bad client radio..but to check this you'd need a usb entware and tcpdump and than monitor wlan0 interface...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Sponsor
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Hardware limitations, see OP in the other thread who quickly found this to be the case especially with a new build.

It's not happening on 4/32 QCA devices, nor A7, C7, or C5 devices in inventory. More theories with holes.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Clearly someone reappears to argue; OP's new build & config are stable but adding services weigh down weak HW.
You would already know this if have read OP's thread and in turn would have no issue with router HW replacement.
wonder_wonder wrote:
I've been looking at other models, the current ones, so similar, I don't see any with ddwrt...
Any advice?
blkt wrote:
WikiDevi: R7800 (XR450/XR500), R7500v2, EA8500, R9000 (R8900/XR700).
R7800, XR450, XR500, R7500v2, EA8500 (serial flash), x86 (one, two, three).
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not an argument, statement of facts from first-person experience. All similar hardware, no issues while there *were* issues with some builds in recent past. But let's keep trying to diminish with nonsense. Of course, if you expect your router which is more of a Yugo, Geo Metro, Chevy Vega, Chevette, or Ford Pinto to perform like a Camaro or Mustang (or any exotic sports car, for that matter), then of course, you're going to see issues with certain defaults within sysctl and the network stack. But again, the lack of technical depth and expertise seems to be rampant. There is also the fallback talking point of, it's a router, not a server, stop trying to make it one, but that's too logical as well.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for the delay in answering.

Sorry for the delay in answering.

I also have to answer in the other thread, I created that other one because this one was forgotten, and I "refused" to stop using DDWRT.

As they said, it may be a hardware limitation problem, with a new version, it seems that some services are breaking down.
But, with a new version, wifi is better (I have not been able to confirm if the problem disappears)

Physical hardware is not, I have tried with 2 archer c7 v2 and it happens to me in both.

This didn't happen to me before, only new device, a chromebook, but... even without being at home, it happens...

I took the settings from the new versions and moved them to the version that has always worked for me, no success.

I only have to try with the new versions and leave it for a long time and see what happens (each test takes me at least 2 days until the failure occurs or sometimes 3 weeks...) but if it works with the new version, I am left without other functions that if I need...

In summary:
It is not a hardware problem (physically hardware I mean)
With stock firmware it does not happen (I can see how one day it has one channel and another day another)
Tested on 2 archer c7 v2.
New versions of ddwrt I haven't had enough time yet to confirm if this fixes it or not.

I thank you for your posts, I'm still testing and I'll update both threads.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmmm your connectivity issue.... well...the source of it..

Back in the days I helped my friend, to choose a router for his coffee and i changed its firmware to DDWRT, than ive made some settings and left it, in his hands...however, the bloke got an issue once and reset the router...and than i had a call with similar behavior...after random amount of time days, weeks 2.4ghz radio was stalling and no connection was possible...to cut the story short, it turned out, he was going out of IP's as router DHCP was set to lease time infinite or 24h and trough the day if too many various clients or smart devices in private mode connect and than its DHCP was out of IP's as every time client connects DHCP daemon reserves this IP for this client for x amount of time... so if you set your DHCP range to let say 12 IP's and your lease time is too long...if you connect and disconnect your phone in private mode it changes its mac address every time, so 12 hosts will be reached too quick and all IP will be reserved for x amount of time...and no more connections will be able to happen, until DHCP daemon restarts and clears the reserved ip table...
So the lesson is either use static ip's for your clients and don.t use any smart device in private mode or have 254 DHCP pool with short lease time let say 60m or 240min and ect.... Laughing for hotels, stations or coffees its recommended about 20min or max 60min Smile lease time...for home use i have 360 and keep my known devices with static IP's and non of them in private mode... Razz

Another issue could be a client udp or tcp flood on your wifi side...as some smart devices or IoT are known for that behavior...i had a compromised Philips TV that was udp flooding the wifi back in the days ...until i updated it firmware and moved it over an isolated vlan on a wired port Cool

P.S. One thing i do differently from you, i never use local IP below .100 ...and i don't understand the attacker thing...if someone wants to attack your wifi and knows what he is doing he will succeed anyway, so how this thing will stop the attacker i don't know..(im not going into details how the wifi attack will look like)

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913

Last edited by Alozaros on Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:30; edited 1 time in total
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey!! Nice to read you here Smile

Indeed, all my devices are connected by static ip assigned by the router, new smartphones, which put random mac (mine in particular) I have it configured to always use the same mac, that way, the ip does not change and all my devices always use the same mac/ip, everything I have in my house, cable or wifi, goes with static ip and not random mac.

I have them configured from the ip range 100 downwards, so if I see any device with ip 192.168.1.101 or higher, it is an "attack" it is a device that I have not connected (it has never happened to me).

As wifi devices:
My mobile, my daughter's (who is older than me, hahaha), her laptop, her old one too, the wifi device for the air conditioning and nothing else.
In September, for school, she came with a chromebook, a new device, also configured with a static ip but... there are weeks that she doesn't bring it home and I have the same problem, so I discard said device.
Sometimes I have come to see how nearby devices, with 100% connectivity, begin to drop and in a matter of minutes it is when it stops accepting connections via the 2.4 radio.

I think the channel is saturated for some reason, with stock firmware (which I don't want to use) there are days that I see that the channel has changed (but ddwrt doesn't do that).

That said, I need more tests with new versions, but each test, to be a 100% reliable test, I must leave it for at least 2 days and I can reach 2 or 3 weeks and at that time, the problem returns.
jbkt23
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
So it may be that I am ignorant of the 2.4gz band as provided now days. But in my household when ever I used the 2.4gz band and someone ran the microwave it would kill my connection, thus I've always used the 5gz to avoid that disconnect. Although I provision the 2.4gz band I have not tested it in 5 years other than brief connections to confirm that it does work.

The microwave has to be in proximity of the faltering device or between it and the antenna. Just my experience for over 5 years ago.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm almost positive that it's a certain client combination that exposes some bug with the V2, which would explain why it can go months without happening then start dropping very often with no changes to the configuration... then back to rock solid stable.

Like I said on my particular unit the 2.4ghz is rock solid for months until a certain family member visits and then within a couple of days to a week or two the 2.4ghz will stop broadcasting.

When it stops, I can just initiate a wireless scan on the router and it'll pop right back but will drop again at some point within days unless I manually powercycle the router.... which I suppose suggests a firmware issue.

I've observed this behavior since the router was brand new and across all DD-WRT versions that I've tried... I've not tested stock extensively as it's been a day one dd-wrt unit.

OP next time it drops try doing a wireless scan in the DD-WRT gui on the 2.4ghz band and see if it comes back up.
jbkt23
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, when something is sporadic it is very difficult to diagnose since the developer may not be able to set up the specific conditions. It may be that the OP should get a different device. These are cheap consumer routers, I have one that is working for my needs but I understand the limitations.
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, the microwave is not, xD
The microwave has been in the same place for... I think 10 years... Smile
I cannot deactivate 2.4, I need it for clients that do not have a 5Ghz band.

Nothing has changed in my home, in my router configuration, everything worked perfect for 2 or 3 years until one day, the problems started...

Indeed, I can spend 2 or 3 weeks well and then last 2 or 3 days.

When this happens, I fix it with a simple "Apply changes" (within the ddrwt wifi menu) but without changing anything at all!

Archer C7 v2 is not top, but it is not low either, I did not get a v5 because it did not exist at that time, now it exists but... I see it does not have a webrevert (and I like being able to make the change, like now, to be able to test ddwrt vs stock).

Ok, I'll do it, when it falls again I'll do a scan, although as I comment, with a simple "Apply changes" it returns to this operative, but I had not tried the scan and see if it returns to this operative.
jbkt23
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
On another tact since all your traffic goes through the ath9 radio maybe it is a heat issue related to a spike in usage. The stock FW might be able to throttle the radio so as to not overheat.
Something else you can check is memory usage to see if over time the available disappears or shrinks significantly. This would not be specific to 2.4gz but since you don't use 5gz to any extent it would only show up as 2.4 related. The memory usage you can check periodically on the status page.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Memory checked, there is no memory drop.
Neither does the temperature (I see it on the ddwrt status page).
Yes, it is a mystery, but a big one...
The 5Ghz if I use it with my mobile terminal, sometimes, because it is who decides if it connects to 2.4 or 5, but only my mobile uses it.
jbkt23
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
The temperature is related to wlan1 which in my C7 is the ath10 radio. I'm seeing 43c - 44c. I only have one device connected to it and streaming video does not change the temp.
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same / similar temp in my case... Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: