Archer C7 v2 - Connectivity rejection every x days 2.4 Ghz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:41    Post subject: Archer C7 v2 - Connectivity rejection every x days 2.4 Ghz Reply with quote
Hello.
Well, since a month or two months ago here, I have this problem. I've been using dd-wrt on my router for about 2 years in a row with the same version (higher versions already gave me problems) I have Archer C7 v2, always fine with Wi-Fi, but I've been here for a month or two months, every x time (it's irregular) Every week or two weeks maximum, the 2.4 Ghz network rejects connections and the existing ones lose connectivity.
With the dd-wrt gui, Wi-Fi section, save and apply changes, it is solved, and it stays on the same channel and everything is the same.

I have tried on auto channel, to put specific channels (this is almost worse, it lasts less time), and I don't know what to do to solve this...

Does something happen to you?

Thanks and regards.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm your Archer v2 and my 1043v2 share the same SoC and the same 2.4ghz radio...just my 1043v2 is rock solid and its always been...it smell's like settings based error or bad clients...
as we dont know witch firmware you are using we cant help much, nor we know your wifi settings...
in general for 2.4ghz use fixed channel lets say channel 11 + lower, NG mixed or just mixed, short GI, Short preamble i dont use airtime fairness nor noise immunity, ack timing set to either 1350 or 900..
country domain is set to Canada...frame compression is disabled..
post a pic of your wifi settings and wifi security page just cover the sensitive data...so the other gurus will be able to help you out...better..

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Ednan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the old days, 1043nd had a similar problem, only working "well" when put in channel 11.
Since that time, i never put any 1043nd in other channel. (i had v1 and now v2)
Use only WPA2-AES and HT20

U should try.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=317239&sid=f5cd90002853f49df8bce2792197c4e7

edit:
Could try: https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd#connection_quality_drops_after_a_few_hours_latencypinglag_spikes

Simple Ad-Block guide
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
First of all, apologies for the delay in replying, I had two very busy days.

Indeed, you are absolutely right, I have given few data... xD.

My ddwrt version is: Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r39927 std (03/06/19)

I have been using this version continuously for almost 3 years, I use this version because, higher versions, I had problems with DLNA, and this version is the one that works best for me.

During these almost 3 years, I have never had any problem, neither with Wi-Fi or anything else, it is strange to me, because this has been happening to me for about 2 months, I have been trying different configurations, but it always happens to me.
After x days (x is a variable value), the 2.4 Ghz network stops "working", it appears in the list, but all the connected devices are disconnected, and if I press to connect, I get the following: The connection has been rejected.
Something as simple as going to the Wi-Fi tab and clicking on "Apply Changes" solves the problem, even if it remains on the same channel and everything is the same.
Now I show you my configuration, but I have also tried fixed channels, like the 11 that you name, I always solve it like this, I go to the Wifi tab, Apply Changes and problem solved (as I mentioned, the same channel and everything remains the same), for I can't find a logical explanation for this.

This is the configuration that I currently have, although as I indicate, in these two months, I have been changing said configuration as I have read and seen, but nothing works, the one that lasts me the longest in days is the current one, auto channel... strange , but it is the one that lasts me the longest.

I forgot, it's an Archer C7 v2, originally Archer C5 v1.2, but there is a way to upgrade it to Archer C7 (it's the same hardware).

Thanks in advance for your tips and advice!

wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello again,

Alozaros wrote:
hmm your Archer v2 and my 1043v2 share the same SoC and the same 2.4ghz radio...just my 1043v2 is rock solid and its always been...it smell's like settings based error or bad clients...
as we dont know witch firmware you are using we cant help much, nor we know your wifi settings...
in general for 2.4ghz use fixed channel lets say channel 11 + lower, NG mixed or just mixed, short GI, Short preamble i dont use airtime fairness nor noise immunity, ack timing set to either 1350 or 900..
country domain is set to Canada...frame compression is disabled..
post a pic of your wifi settings and wifi security page just cover the sensitive data...so the other gurus will be able to help you out...better..

Excuse me, I have a question, I'm not a native of English and... correct me if I'm wrong, because I have reset the factory and I'm going to configure the whole Wi-Fi theme from 0:
Totally inadvisable or not working Band-steering in ddwrt, am I right?

On the other hand, you name some parameters, but I'm not sure if you enable or disable them:
short GI - On
Short preamble - Off
airtime fairness nor noise immunity - Disabled.

Did I understand correctly what you mention?

Thanks and regards.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
well on my 1043v2 i have...
-short preamble - enabled
-short GI - enabled
-ng-mixed
channel 11 + lower
ht 40
air time fairness - disable
ap isolation -en
ack 900
im using cts/6ts
threshold is 748

aes + 128
eprol enabled
for ng-mixed, add to hostapd
basic_rates=60
supported_rates=60 90 120 180 240 360 480 540

add to wi fi password page> hostapd to not disconnect the wi fi clients
ap_max_inactivity=600 or 900

and so on...
all working rock solid for days on 50841 now moved to 50963 Cool

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
First of all, thanks for your answer.
Before putting your configuration, I did a "Reset to defaults" in my ddwrt, and I reconfigured everything, as it has been these more than 2 years working without problems.
Shortly after a day, my 2.4 Ghz network disappeared, no device sees it...it's starting to drive me crazy. Because for almost 3 years everything was perfect and now suddenly, it starts giving me these problems?

A few minutes ago, I have made another "Reset to defaults" and I have configured the 2.4 Ghz network as you indicate, but there are points that I cannot find or cannot configure.

Alozaros wrote:
well on my 1043v2 i have...
-short preamble - enabled
-short GI - enabled
-ng-mixed
channel 11 + lower
ht 40
air time fairness - disable
ap isolation -en
ack 900
threshold is 748

All this, perfect, ok, but this:
Quote:

im using cts/6ts

I have CTS or RTS/CTS (I set this last).

And this:
Quote:
eprol enabled
for ng-mixed, add to hostapd
basic_rates=60
supported_rates=60 90 120 180 240 360 480 540

add to wi fi password page> hostapd to not disconnect the wi fi clients

Same, I dont view or I dont know how configure.
I don't view hostpad, basic rates, supported rates and in the wifi password page, I don't have any about hostpad and ap max inactivity.

I can attach images of all my config in wireless page and wifi password page.

It's starting to be a headache for me, if the configuration I've set doesn't work, it only occurs to me to go back to stock firmware and see if the same thing happens...

Thanks again.
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello good,
I'm still having problems... these last few days what I did was, hard reset, I reprogrammed the router with dd-wrt (the version that I indicate above) and I configured everything from 0 as and later with the configuration that you indicate.
After 3 days, I lost the 2.4Ghz network again, it appears on the router but does not connect any device.
In one of the tests, the 2.4Ghz network disappeared and the router did not pick up a channel, until I restarted it (from the light) it did not pick up.

You indicate things that are beyond my knowledge, I have been reading about hostapd, and from what I have seen, you have to modify a file, but this is temporary, and I have not seen where to modify it to make it permanent.
Anyway, by default, it appears almost identical to the parameters that you indicate.

I'm already getting desperate, I'm going crazy, I don't know what can happen...
Possible power supply? For thinking something...
Among others (and I see that you use a much more current firmware) me, if I put a more current firmware, the router starts to constantly restart (if I leave the hard disk in it via usb) between that, and what versions are higher than mine DLNA doesn't work for me, that's why I chose to leave this version that I use, because it has always worked 100% for me in all aspects.

I'll give you a screenshot of how I have it configured now.
Parameters:
-eprol enabled -> I don't see it on my router.
-for ng-mixed, add to hostapd -> As I told you, I don't know how to permanently edit this file, and if I cat it, it appears almost identical.
-add to wi fi password page> hostapd to not disconnect the wi fi clients
No idea how to add it to wi fi password page.

I can only think of two tests:
1- Change the power supply.
2.-Go back to stock firmware, and see if the same thing happens or not (but I want to use ddwrt...).

Any suggestions... as I comment, I'm going crazy...

wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, it seems it's a router issue.
I put stock firmware on it and it does the same thing....
I only have to try the power adapter, although I doubt it but...
Just in case it's the router, I've been looking at other models, the current ones, so similar, I don't see any with ddwrt...
Any advice?
BubbaMoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Late reply OP but I've seen this issue off and on with my Archer C7 for many years, 2.4ghz drops clients at some random time... everything reports fine in the GUI and if you do like a site survey they all can connect again... you don't even have to change the settings no errors in router logs.

If you do however get it working again this way its much more likely to happen again very soon, 1-2 days vs a hard reboot via the power switch then it'll take 4-6 weeks for it to happen again if it does.

Tested many dd-wrt versions seen this behavior across many, some worse some better.

I suspect there is a certain WiFI client that triggers this bug as for me it happens only when certain members of my family visit... so that's why OP it could be fine for years with nothing unchanged.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
OP said stock firmware same issue, likely a hardware issue, advice upgrade.
WikiDevi: R7800 (XR450/XR500), R7500v2, EA8500, R9000 (R8900/XR700).
R7800, XR450, XR500, R7500v2, EA8500 (serial flash), x86 (one, two, three).
BubbaMoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can't say if it's a hardware issue or not but just wanted to let OP know it's a well known issue with the C7, lots of posts about this issue here and on the openwrt boards.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are not wrong actually good experience and advice, but across stock firmware, dd-wrt or openwrt same limits.
Here, another thread same user, rebuilt configuration. Connection refused 2.4 Ghz every x time Tp Link Archer C7
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was more of an issue that whatever it was died, locked up, etc. and does not seem to be present on 51935 or 52095 in DD-WRT. I was having to schedule a reboot once or twice a week that is now no longer required. Waiting for another promising 0 or 5 alpha or beta to drop for testing. Never seemed to have much issue in OpenWRT, etc., so don't know what to say about all that.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hardware limitations, see OP in the other thread who quickly found this to be the case especially with a new build.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: