Guest 2.4g VAP ON ArcherC7v5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
jbkt23
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 17:16    Post subject: Guest 2.4g VAP ON ArcherC7v5 Reply with quote
I guess I never tested the 2.4g VAP I set up a few months ago but this week I was curious and discovered that although I could connect and get an IP address I had no internet. I tried with phone and laptop to no avail. The 5g VAP with same IP range I had no connection issues or lack of internet, all worked as expected. I have since solved the problem and thought I'd share my solution here. I did search here for 2.4g connection issues but didn't find one related to VAP's but those I found were helpful in hinting at the direction I might pursue. In the end I had to define a separate IP network from the 5g VAP. As seen in the attached images.
After a reboot both phone and laptop can connect and get internet service.
dd-wrt version as seen in Sig.

ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes this is also a configuration error.
If you configure multiple unbridged VAP's then you also need multiple DHCP servers and multiple subnets.

If you bridge the VAPs you only need one DHCP server and one additional subnet.

But this should be known.

I have posted in the following links for example an example configuration for several unbridged VAPs:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1260417#1260417
jbkt23
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 18:22    Post subject: Guest 2.4g VAP ON ArcherC7v5 Reply with quote
So this configuration is universal and not just Archer C7 specific. My search terms would never have found your post as I'm not setting up a Pi-hole. But it is clearer now that un-bridged VAPs can not share the same IP network. So if I wanted to share the same network IP's I would have to create another bridge ( br1 ) and set up the VAP pair to be bridged on that device.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: