Station bridged mode is not transparent (port fwd/wol)

harvey_slash
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:34    Post subject: Station bridged mode is not transparent (port fwd/wol) Reply with quote
I have a netgear r6900v2 (upstairs) along with another netgear rax10(connected to modem). There is no way for me to run a wire from the rax10 upstairs, so bridge mode is my best bet.

With netgear's stock firmware, bridge mode worked fine. My rax10 showed all the devices physically connected to the r6900v2. Port forwarding worked. Wake on lan didnt work after about 15 minutes, which is why I flashed DDwrt.

I have station bridge mode set up, devices behind my r6900v2 work fine, but they all have the same mac address as my router. I am assuming this means I wont be able to set up a static ip on the pc (and hence no port forwarding nor WOL).

Is it possible at all to get a transparent bridge to work? (my rax10 isnt running DD wrt so I dont think WDS mode is an option).

It is odd because it worked fine with netgear's stock firmware.
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
If NetGears stock was a true bridge mode like WDS or Mesh you do not need a port forward etc as it is just one seamless network.

You router has a Mediatek chip, I do not know how that chipset can handle bridge modes but it might work the same as for Qualcomm/Atheros meaning with relayd?

Consider using Power line adapters to connect.

Attached my notes about bridges modes but this only applies for Broadcom and Qualcom/Atheros so not much help Sad

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
harvey_slash wrote:
There is no way for me to run a wire from the rax10 upstairs, so bridge mode is my best bet.
Where there's a drill there's a way!
harvey_slash
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
If NetGears stock was a true bridge mode like WDS or Mesh you do not need a port forward etc as it is just one seamless network.

You router has a Mediatek chip, I do not know how that chipset can handle bridge modes but it might work the same as for Qualcomm/Atheros meaning with relayd?

Consider using Power line adapters to connect.

Attached my notes about bridges modes but this only applies for Broadcom and Qualcom/Atheros so not much help Sad

* I do need port forwarding because the upstairs pc acts as a server.
* Just looked at power line adapters, didnt know they were even a thing. I will research but it seems as long as the plugs are in the same physical circuit, it is perfect for what I need!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: