Client Bridge - IPTV box freezes after 5/10 seconds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
casser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:40    Post subject: Client Bridge - IPTV box freezes after 5/10 seconds Reply with quote
Hi.

Since i have no way to pass ethernet to a provider IPTV box, i´m trying to use an old WR841N 11.x with latest DD-WRT version available (for this router) using Client Bridge (Wireless).

Everything works great, but when changing channel, it starts working, but after 5/10 seconds the image freezes, and i have to change channel.
BUT, if i pause 1 second before the image freezes, it works flawlessly for hours.
Changing channel works fast (like using ethernet directly to provider router), viewing previous shows works ok.

Firewall disabled. Everything else set to default.
DD WRT router is 5meters from the provider router, with LOS. Very strong signal.

Any ideia what i can do to improve this freezing after 5/10 seconds?
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will move your thread to the appropriate forum.

See the forum guidelines with helpful pointers about how to research your router, where and what firmware to download, where and how to post and many other helpful tips:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Latest build can mean a lot, for us the latest build is 50841 Smile

This is a really old and slow router, and client bridge is a hack so not sure if there is a remedy.

I attach my personal notes about bridges, as said no guarantee Sad

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
After 5-10 seconds is when it switches from Unicast to Multicast.

Have you un-ticked the Filter Multicast on the Firewall Tab to let Multicast in from the WAN?
casser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
I will move your thread to the appropriate forum.

See the forum guidelines with helpful pointers about how to research your router, where and what firmware to download, where and how to post and many other helpful tips:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Latest build can mean a lot, for us the latest build is 50841 Smile

This is a really old and slow router, and client bridge is a hack so not sure if there is a remedy.

I attach my personal notes about bridges, as said no guarantee Sad

Thanks for the info.

Upgraded firmware to latest beta available (50841 - working great i think), and followed your PDF Tutorial, with no better results.

egc wrote:
After 5-10 seconds is when it switches from Unicast to Multicast.

Have you un-ticked the Filter Multicast on the Firewall Tab to let Multicast in from the WAN?

Firewall is disabled, so everything is unticked. Enabling Firewall, and unticking Multicast, wont do any better.

In SETUP - NETWORKING - enabling "Multicast to Unicast", IPTV stop working (just tested, dont know what the implications of changing this).

Its working, but a bit annoying needing to pause once everytime i change channel Laughing

Any suggestions, i appreciate!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Station Bridge (Client Bridge) requires filter multicast to be ticked. This isn't visible in the webUI for some reason these days, but an nvram show | grep multicast should reveal that block_multicast=1. Is this now required to be 0 for IPTV to work? If so, you would have to either re-enable firewall and untick the multicast setting for firewall or do an nvram set block_mutlicast=0 && nvram commit && reboot.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
casser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Station Bridge (Client Bridge) requires filter multicast to be ticked. This isn't visible in the webUI for some reason these days, but an nvram show | grep multicast should reveal that block_multicast=1. Is this now required to be 0 for IPTV to work? If so, you would have to either re-enable firewall and untick the multicast setting for firewall or do an nvram set block_mutlicast=0 && nvram commit && reboot.

Followed your instructions and checked in command line if it was enabled or not. But didint solved it.

I found out its a known problem with my ISP (box freezes after 5 seconds), and the solution is using IGMP Snooping. DD-WRT has an option in "Networking" "Bridging". But enabling it, wont make a difference. Maybe client bridge is messing this up?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is "Shortcut Forwarding Engine" enabled on the Setup -> Basic Setup page? If so, disable it and reboot. Also may want to try enabling STP, but first check to see if IGMP snooping is actually enabled:
Code:
nvram show | grep br0_mcast

If br0_mcast=1, then it is enabled, unless the logic is somehow wrong. But this goes back to my previous comment about whether or not block_multicast=1 is the problem because it seems the fix is to allow IGMP snooping which allows multicast.
Quote:
IGMP is an integral part of IP multicast and allows the network to direct multicast transmissions only to hosts that have requested them.

I presume the IPTV client TV has no wireless interface and is only wired ethernet?
Also, you mentioned "latest build for this router", which I also presume is 50841?

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/11-09-2022-r50841/tplink_tl-wr841ndv11/

----------------------
casser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Is "Shortcut Forwarding Engine" enabled on the Setup -> Basic Setup page? If so, disable it and reboot. Also may want to try enabling STP, but first check to see if IGMP snooping is actually enabled:
Code:

If br0_mcast=1, then it is enabled, unless the logic is somehow wrong. But this goes back to my previous comment about whether or not block_multicast=1 is the problem because it seems the fix is to allow IGMP snooping which allows multicast.
Quote:
IGMP is an integral part of IP multicast and allows the network to direct multicast transmissions only to hosts that have requested them.

I presume the IPTV client TV has no wireless interface and is only wired ethernet?
Also, you mentioned "latest build for this router", which I also presume is 50841?

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/11-09-2022-r50841/tplink_tl-wr841ndv11/

Using 50841 version.

Disabled "Shortcut Forwarding Engine".
Enabled SCP.

For IGMP
Code:

ping_ip=nvram show | grep br0_mcast
br0_mcast=1

And unticking Multicast
Code:

nvram show | grep multicast

eth1_multicast=0
wlan0_multicast=0
block_multicast=0
ping_ip=nvram show | grep multicast
eth0_multicast=0
eth0_multicast_to_unicast=0
wlan0_multicast_to_unicast=0
eth1_multicast_to_unicast=0

But it wont make nor better or worse..

About the IPTV box..its and official box from the ISP, ARRIS brand. No Wireless.

offtopic:
I added a "bridge" to test and now i cant delete it..both input´s are "disabled". See attachment.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Of course you can't delete your second instance of br0 in the webUI. And the ping_ip= lines tells me that you are using Administration -> Commands instead of a telnet or ssh client like PuTTY, etc. Time to reset the device and start over Is the device in gateway mode or router mode?

----------------------
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only bridge you cant delete should be the default br0, and please tell me what is the point of naming a second bridge the same? This is why you cant delete it!

To delete the second bridge rename it to anything but br0, click save and you will be able to delete it.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
kalrez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Possible Solution of passing thru Ethernet to your IPTV box is use of "Powerline Ethernet Adapters"

If all else fails with your attempts to get your old WR841N working.

I have been using Powerline Adapters for many years in certain areas that I could not run hard wire Cat5 / 6 cables (Concrete walls and No Crawl / attic space).

Main thing is to make sure powerline adapter #1 (Primary) and #2 (or more as you can have multiple clients) are on the same "Leg" of your house AC power. Typical US Residential House / apartments etc. are wired for 240 volts from the street / power company. the 240V is 2 legs of 120V each and is on separate Circuits (Legs) from the Electrical panel and distributed throughout the house for a balanced load. One location That I wanted to use a Powerline adapter was on a different LEG / Circuit but All I had to do was use another Outlet that was farther away and used a 20 foot Cat 5 cable. I have a mixture of 1gb & 500mps Powerline adapters all playing together from my main 1gb Primary one.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Power grids are not designed for high-frequency signals.
And the installation cables are not shielded either.
And because the cables are not shielded, they turn into large antennas that can interfere with other devices in the house and even the whole neighbourhood.

It is common knowledge that Powerline can interfere with DSL lines and amateur radio!

These things are the biggest rubbish and are only allowed to be sold so that manufacturers can make profits with questionable technology.

Last edited by ho1Aetoo on Sun Nov 13, 2022 14:40; edited 1 time in total
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does your ARRIS have the multicast_to_unicast option on the wifi. It's this router that send out the IPTV on the wifi. The Option will convert the Multicast into Unicast before sending it over the wifi.

Multicast over wifi is with it's own issues. It's sent with the lowest Basic Speed. That may not be enough for IPTV.

By converting to Unicast, you will be able to utilise the full wifi speed.
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
My question would be is this a legit IPTV service?
If it's an iffy service it may be nothing to do with your end, test it on your mobile.

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
casser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:

ARRIS is the set top box, the router is a Thomson (only managed to change IP and disable firewall)

The issue is not speed, it must have something to do with IGMP, because most people who uses this ISP have this issue using AP mode with many routers brands.
foz111 wrote:

Like i said previously, its an official box from my ISP, if was not legit, i was using cheap android box´s which all have wifi Very Happy

So:
-Something is missing in my side (configuration)
-Some configuration needs to be made in ISP Router (which i dont have permissions to do so)
-Something related to DD-WRT
-It´s not possible to using Client Bridge

I believe is related with IGMP, also i have read that it must be IGMP V3. Most recent routers has specific configurations for each ISP.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: