[SOLVED] DHCP server not assigning IPs after reset

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Abelynux
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:33    Post subject: [SOLVED] DHCP server not assigning IPs after reset Reply with quote
Hello everyone,

I apologize if my issue may be something simple that I´m not seeing, I have search internet and the forums for my issue, but no luck yet, may be no searching correctly. Not quite an expert on, but still have some bits of understanding on networking. The reason I´m here is that I need your help to solve an issue with my dd-wrt setup. Very Happy

First of all a description of my setup:
-I installed dd-wrt v3.0-r44715 mega (11/03/20) on a Linksys Cisco E4200.
-I can´t remember the version, almost sure is v1, if that helps.
-I have this router connected to my modem, the router is the one broadcasting my internet wirelessly, it is not in a bridge mode, just a LAN port connected between modem and the router.
-The modem has DHCP server disabled and the Linksys apart of wireless broadcast is the DHCP server enabled.

Now, regarding the issue I have:
-Lately, there has been some power outages, when I restore the router (after UPS is dead), I have sveral devices not connected to the wireless.
-The way to solve it, is to go to the lease time and change it, right now is at 60min and I change for istnance to 61min and apply changes, all devices connect at this point. Next time the issue appears, I use the 60min and apply changes too.
-I have reproduced the issue by reseting the router from the administration tab.
-I have MAC filter enabled, but the issue was there before I enabled it.

If is anything basic that I may be misisng, please let me know. Really appreciate your time.

Cheers! Very Happy
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum Smile

Not saying this is the problem but you are running an old and outdated build.

See the forum guidelines with helpful pointers about how to research your router, where and what firmware to download, where and how to post and many other helpful tips:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Current build is 50786.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/11-02-2022-r50786/broadcom_K3X/

Coming from such an old build a reset *after* upgrading is highly recommended.
Put settings in manually. Never restore from a backup (to a different build).

Your setup is not entirely clear.
Is the ISP modem in bridge mode, e.g. does the E4200 has a Public WAN IP?
Or is the E4200 just daisy chained e.g. connected ISP LAN <> WAN E4200?
Or is the E4200 setup as Wireless Access Point? ( https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers )?

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Abelynux
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:04    Post subject: DHCP server not assigning IPs after reset Reply with quote
Hello egc! Thanks for the quick response,

I will definitely try to update to the latest version, I will need some time to make sure I will not break it.

Sorry for the confusion on my setup, I will try to clarify. The E4200 is a wireless access point, but also using the DHCP server in it... my modem is not in bridge mode, neither using any of the WAN ports on both sides, there is one ethernet cable connected to a LAN port on the E4200 and connected to a LAN port on the modem. The DHCP server on my modem is disabled.

Cheers!
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would definitely update and reset to defaults *after* upgrading an put settings in manually.

Usually the DHCP server is off on a WAP so this is a setup which is not much used. Not saying it is wrong though in theory it should work Smile

Below is how I setup a WAP:
Quote:
A secondary router connected wired LAN<>LAN on the same subnet as the primary router.
On Basic Setup page:
• WAN disabled
• DHCP server Disabled (=off and NOT set as Forwarder!)
• Local IP address in subnet of primary router but outside DHCP scope, make sure the used IP address is unique on your network you cannot have duplicates.
You can run udhcpc to give the WAP a static lease but because you can it doesn't mean you should Wink
• Gateway and Local DNS pointing to primary router
• DNSMasq enabled
• Router kept in the default Gateway mode (the wiki says Router mode but do not do that, either it does not matter (this case) or break things)
• Connect LAN <> LAN (do not use the WAN port unless you really need that extra port, for most routers traffic still must use the CPU so performance is lacklustre )
• I do not change the Firewall settings although you do not want a firewall, the Firewall is automatically disabled as there is no WAN, but it does not hurt to follow the wiki and Disable the Firewall anyway.

If you have unbridged VAP's on teh WAP or other services running then in the web-interface of the router (the WAP): Administration/Commands save Firewall:
#Always necessary (alternatively set static route on main router and NAT traffic from VAP/Bridge out via WAN):
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o br0 -j SNAT --to $(nvram get lan_ipaddr)

In your case you disable the DHCP server on the ISP router and keep the DHCP server on the WAP enabled and probably set the local DNS server not pointing to the ISP router but to an upstream DNS server like 9.9.9.9.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Abelynux
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:34    Post subject: DHCP server not assigning IPs after reset Reply with quote
I can't sleep, so, hands on this... I just updated as you suggested, but, without resetting it, just been lazy for now, I just want to give it a try and see if it works, which apparently it is fixed Very Happy, I reboot it from the admin tab, and also disconnected from the power and plug it again, so far good, but, as always, I may be getting excited to finally discover that the issue persists, so I will better monitor for a while and if I see it working, I will reset as you suggest just for sanity...

Honestly, I have been looking for newer versions in the wrong place, I have always searched for Linksys E4200 on the release folder, but I see now that I should be looking it under broadcom_KXX folder... Good to know! Very Happy.

I will keep you posted on how this end or if I need more assistance.

I'm really thankful for your help! Very Happy

I will return in a couple of days just to update.

Cheers!
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Funny thing I cant even see a Linksys E4200 folder on https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/11-02-2022-r50786 so idk where you saw that. But hey its solved.

I recommend on next public release you upgrade again since depending on your setup many bugs were fixed. If you use DDNS you old config is likely not compatible anymore.

In addition, I recommend you clear browser cache (CTRL+F5) since your previous build the web interface has been redone and old cached files will head butt with new ones and win and will cause issues. That or use a incognito/private tab.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Abelynux
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:18    Post subject: DHCP server not assigning IPs after reset Reply with quote
Hi the-joker,

Correct, I have always look for it on that folder, never found it, so that is why I was stuck with the old version and thinking that no further release was available for this router (I kind of give up), I guess the previous one I found was through the database (can't remember), yes I know now that should not rely too much on the database... still not really sure why there is some Linksys routers on that folder but not the E4200, and I think that there is one linksys model that is broadcom... but as you said, it apparently fixed and more than anything, I know where to find further releases for my router.

I will be checking to upgrade as you recommend.

Regarding the cache, I think I saw one issue but looks like it fixed itself, the logout icon which I don't remember, was on a bar crossing all subtabs and I was not able to select them, I went to try and change the color scheme, but it remains... I still not sure what I did, but apparently fixed itself... I will note your suggestion to clear cache next time, I'm sure this issue was what you mentioned.

Thanks and Cheers!
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep cache makes those weird things happen and some quite severe. Best just use a private/incognito tab where no data is cached.

In addition any browser addon(s) you have disable them all for DD-WRT, we dont need any ad blockers or privacy anything or whatever other addon types, simply because any extra processing adds delays to each page we can very well do without.

Even the default browser settings like enhanced tracking protection in Firefox or whatever similar Chrome browsers use, all unneeded for DD-WRT web interface we dont track, collect any kind of data on web interface all these techs are for regular websites not for DD-WRT.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Funny thing I cant even see a Linksys E4200 folder on https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/11-02-2022-r50786 so idk where you saw that.

Because the firmware images for the E4200 v1 are in the broadcom_K26 and broadcom_K3X folders:

Linksys E4200 - DD-WRT Wiki

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Abelynux
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:09    Post subject: DHCP server not assigning IPs after reset Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

Just confirming, all good so far, several soft and hard reboots and still working. Will do the settings reset and re-enter them manually.

Again, Thanks for the help, really appreciate it. I think I saw the thread as solved, not sure if I need to do anything, but if so, please let me know.

Cheers! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: