nand for r7800

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
It is also pointless to discuss about NSS support, we don't have it with dd-wrt and we won't get it with the kernel version we use.

Stock firmware uses Linux 3.4.x, OpenWRT currently using 5.x.x. The libnss and other bits are 3rd-party and not included by default in upstream kernel AFAIK. So, it's like ksmbd or wireguard or any other 3rd-party, non-mainstream kernel bits and pieces. As @blkt has already alluded to something... I shall not put myself in the place that others have in the past who are no longer development contributors, competitors, etc. ...as Forrest would say, "That's all I'm gonna say 'bout that."

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Sponsor
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
and what are you trying to tell me now?
I know which kernel versions are used in which images.

The fact is that all the work done on NSS support is based on kernel 5.x and not kernel 4.9.

and that can't be ported back to kernel 4.9 quickly.

by the way ksmbd is also not sychron with the upstream git and has other bugs because we use an old kernel.

I have talked to BS about the NSS cores a long long time ago.
"he wanted to have a look"

But that was all that happened.
We can certainly wait another 3 years maybe we will magically get NSS support someday.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is exactly the problem the NSS work is based on kernel 5.x and cannot easily be backported Sad

Maybe BS should focus on getting an AX router working (quad core A53 2.0 GHz) Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
5X kernels will likely happen for higher end devices eventually when these kernels we use become unmaintained and unpatched, because a comment by BS on the ksmbd repo said that such kernels are hogs and consume more resources, essentially most DD-WRT routers cant handle that.

It will happen eventually I have no such doubts, when it comes to backporting stuff though, its easier if the features dont rely on kernel specific APIS else you need to workaround and there in lies the rub.

Anyway it wont be soon for capable devices not x86/64 IMO, 4.4 is SLTS and projected EOL is 2027 while 4.19 is 2029.

Ref: https://www.cip-project.org/blog/2020/08/17/cip-kernel-team-helping-cip-sustain-industrial-grade-systems

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
ArjenR49
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
while 4.19 is 2029.

I do hope I can manage to stay around together with my 2 trusty R7800's until 2029. A year to look forward to. I'd be 80 ...

For X86's I found ESPRESSObin and ZIMAboard(?), but it seems a daunting perspective and just the very start of a lot of spending more time and plenty of money. Probably not warranted just to secure a very modest internet connection at 12/1 (here) or 100/10 Mbps (at home).

The 12/1 Mbps I usually have here with QoS enabled, even broke down again to more like 2-5/1 a few days ago and I have not yet found out for sure who's to blame, my settings or the provider. Nobody present on this summer cottage compound and interested enough to make comparisons. It is already autumn after all. The caretaker doesn't deny he's ignorant in this area of expertise.
gallo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
@kernel-panic69 I hit both sites looking prior, I should have stated that be4, Mouser doesn't have it according to the site but I will be calling them tomorrow to see if they actually have them.
@ArjenR49 mine has been flashed less than 100 times and 50% of the flash bit the dust. I've never had a flash crap out but there's always a first time Rolling Eyes
@blkt that was my first thought buying a fried one but they're too expensive to justify a $10 chip

the ones I've found seem to be out of stock, although they are preballed and ready for reflow. It's not a dire necessity that I repair it just think it would be a fun project, worst case I spend a few bux and it doesn't succeed

thank you for everyone's response

NAS: Iomega ix2-200 CE 4tb, Seagate 1tb usb drive
Wash your hands and DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE!!!
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wouldn't buy a used R7800 as a donor, unless it was already for parts at liquidated price, but a total replacement.
Not the right time of year for best deals, but sometimes R7800, R7500v2 or EA8500 can appear at giveaway price.

https://octopart.com/search?q=MT29F1G08ABBEAH4%3AE&currency=USD&specs=0
https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?SearchText=micron+MT29F1G08ABBEAH4%3AE
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: