WRT3200ACM on build 50500 unable to connect to wifi (newbie)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Ize
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 21:55    Post subject: WRT3200ACM on build 50500 unable to connect to wifi (newbie) Reply with quote
I recently upgraded my WRT3200ACM with dd-wrt and I'm now (almost) unable to connect to wifi. When I say almost, what I mean is that the wifi is visible, I can attempt to connect to it and then it will either throw me off almost immediately, or after less than a minute of really bad wifi connectivity. This is the case for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Everything else I need seems to work though.

My upgrade procedure:
1. Upgraded to build 44375 from the router database using the factory-to-ddwrt.bin in the Linksys webgui.
2. Upgraded to build 50500 from the https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/10-13-2022-r50500/linksys-wrt3200acm/ page

Wifi settings changed:

- wlan0 (5ghz):

Set SSID
    Set wireless security to WPA3 Personal / SAE + CCMP-128 (AES)
    Set passphrase

- wlan1 (2.4ghz):

Set SSID (different from 5ghz SSID)
    Set wireless security to WPA3 Personal / SAE + CCMP-128 (AES)
    Set passphrase
    Set wifi channel to 6

- wlan2: Disabled

Non-wifi settings changed:
- Pretty much only set up SSH access

Things I've tried:
- Set wifi channel to 1, 6, 11, 13... I don't live in a dense area so there's plenty of free channel space.
- Reset router to factory defaults in dd-wrt webgui and reapplied all of the above settings
- Switched wireless security to WPA2 Personal with SHA256 = same result
- Switched wireless security to WPA2 Personal = same result

I'm kind of a newbie within dd-wrt in general, so would really be happy if someone would be kind enough to help me with some suggestions.
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ignore router database, could have used factory-to-ddwrt directly from Linksys factory stock firmware to r50500.
New firmware environment: WebUI Administration -> Factory Defaults or Telnet as root "nvram erase && reboot".
Only check boxes WPA2 Personal and CCMP-128 (AES). Use Save button ignore Apply. Administration -> Reboot.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
You know it would be easier to overlook an obvious typo and instead focus on configurations that were presented.
Ize
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you very much for your replies.

(Yes, I did mistype the version number of the first build I flashed, sorry. It was obviously Build 44715 from the router database)

Thank you for the heads up regarding going directly to the latest build. I think I just mistakenly reapplied some logic back from the old WRT54G days where you had to flash a mini version first. Things are much easier now, it seems.

So I did exactly what you said, WebUI Administration -> Checked Factory defaults and clicked Apply.

After setting username and password I went directly to wifi settings and only checked the WPA2 Personal and CCMP-128 (AES) and set the passphrase. I clicked save and then rebooted the router through Administration.

And now it works! Thank you so much for your help. I even managed to setup a second WRT3200ACM as an access point with both 2.4 and 5 Ghz working.

It does make me wonder about WPA3 though:
Is it straight up not supported? Is there a known reason for this?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
1200 and 1900 series still have to deal with small or older builds to factory install under 32MB, but not WRT3200ACM.
If your clients really do support WPA3 should work, but keep in mind Marvell has abandoned mwlwifi and sold to NXP.

Marvell WRT series is very tempermental about IoT clients smart home automation, doorbells, cameras, switches etc.
There are 2.4 GHz workarounds, but they limit rates to G-Only, BG-Mixed, or WMM disable. Anyway, save and reboot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: