R6300v2 loses IP when configuring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
mongobird
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 0:02    Post subject: R6300v2 loses IP when configuring Reply with quote
ROUTER: Netgear R6300v2
Build 50274

When trying to configure the router:

1. Change userid and password
2. Reboot, verify
3. Change IP to 192.168.1.8/24
4. Reboot, but sometimes, the router will not come upon any IP, even when searching for it.
5. Sometimes I get further. But by the time I get wireless security entered, the router looses it's IP on reboot and I need to reset, and start over.

I have tried numerous different sequences, to no avail. Eventually the router locks up.

I have left the router on overnight, and it is stable, except when changing configurations.

Any ideas what to chase?
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
New Build - 10/01/2022 - r50308

New Build - 10/03/2022 - r50313
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Corrupt CFE?
What other 3rd party firmware have you installed?

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
mongobird
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
CFE?

Only initial dd wrt executable then the r50274, after scanning the postings.

I will try another build. I suppose I could go back 7 years to the previous build I used.

I could also act on the suggestion of r50313.

Thanks for the responses. I will play some more.
mongobird
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK I now understand CFE, but I don't think that is the problem. I will read up on it more.
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Flashing Vortex can cause r7000 CFE to become corrupt and not store DD-WRT settings on reboot but i don't think they have firmware for your router (after thinking about it), was just a thought.
Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
mongobird
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I still haven't found the cause, but I assume I am doing something wrong.

When I change the IP, and reboot, some of the time, the router fails to come up on that IP. Eventually I need to do a reset, and reconfigure.

It appears that changing the IP of the router, on the LAN from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.8 does it.
mongobird
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to recap, in case I have missed something:

power on
access router at 192.168.1.1
change userid and password
go to setup, and change LAN IP to 192.168.1.8
save, reboot
router is usually not seen on 192.168.1.8, and in fact not seen on any IP in 192.168.1.x

I can then reset the router, and repeat the above.

What could I be doing wrong???
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is this your main router or are you using an ISP supplied router/modem with DD-WRT connected LAN (ISP router) to WAN port on DD-WRT & set to gateway mode? We need to know your network topology not enough information!
If the above is as yours the DD-WRT needs to be on a different subnet because you can't have two DHCP servers running on same subnet it causes issues like you're having.
If you're main router is say on 192.168.1.254 - set DD-WRT to 192.168.2.254
It's hard for people to assist without screen shots.
Just remember you need to be connected to the DD-WRT router to reach the interface either via wireless or Ethernet!
For people to help further maybe consider screen shots.

mongobird
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
foz111 wrote:
Is this your main router or are you using an ISP supplied router/modem with DD-WRT connected LAN (ISP router) to WAN port on DD-WRT & set to gateway mode? We need to know your network topology not enough information!
If the above is as yours the DD-WRT needs to be on a different subnet because you can't have two DHCP servers running on same subnet it causes issues like you're having.
If you're main router is say on 192.168.1.254 - set DD-WRT to 192.168.2.254
It's hard for people to assist without screen shots.
Just remember you need to be connected to the DD-WRT router to reach the interface either via wireless or Ethernet!
For people to help further maybe consider screen shots.

First, the router in question is not connected to an ISP. It is one that I am configuring for use as an AP.

The connection from the router to my laptop is only via an ethernet cable connected to one of the four LAN ports on the router.

The subnet I am using is 192.168.1.x, and the laptop has a static IP of 192.168.1.11. I am not using wireless at this point. The radios are not configured.

I have tried this with WAN disabled, and the subject router's DHCP server disabled. As near as I can tell the issue presents itself when I change the subject router's IP.

I have probably configured 100 routers with DD-WRT, and 60 of them have been r6300v2 or r6200v2 devices. So to me this configuration change is a just do it task. But in this case it is not.

With regard to screen shots, there is nothing to capture. The router reboots with no visible IP, and scanning for one yields nothing in the subdomain, nor numerically adjacent subdomains.

While not part of this problem, I have several ISP modems, which go to r6300v2 DD-WRT running devices, acting as a gateway. Behind them are more r6300v2 routers as wireless AP. The interconnections for each subnet fed by an ISP modem are independent, and not interconnected.

I have tried a few different beta releases. It is not clear to me that any particular release has been dubbed as being "stable" but if one is, I would be happy to try that one.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
It may be that the only way you can change the 4th digit of the router's IPv4 address is when it is configured as a switch or wired AP. IOW, it must use the default 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.x.1 in any other mode.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
mongobird wrote:
I have tried a few different beta releases. It is not clear to me that any particular release has been dubbed as being "stable" but if one is, I would be happy to try that one.

DD-WRT should be very clear there is no such classification, but perpetual beta. New Build - 10/12/2022 - r50485

Last edited by blkt on Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:10; edited 1 time in total
mongobird
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
New data. I grabbed two r6400v2 routers I have, loaded a recent version of dd-wrt, and they behave the same way. So I am now 98% certain that there is something I am procedurally doing different from what I have done in the past. Now, to find it. Thanks for the ideas.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
It looks like you setup a Wireless Access Point this is how I do it:

Quote:
A Wireless Access Point is secondary router connected wired LAN<>LAN on the same subnet as the primary router:
• WAN disabled
• DHCP server Disabled (=off and NOT set as Forwarder!)
• Local IP address in subnet of primary router but outside DHCP scope, make sure the used IP address is unique on your network you cannot have duplicates.
You can run udhcpc to give the WAP a static lease but necessary it is not.
• Gateway and Local DNS pointing to primary router
• DNSMasq enabled
• Router kept in the default Gateway mode (the wiki says Router mode but either it does not matter (this case) or break things, so I would just keep in Gateway mode)
• Connect LAN <> LAN (do not use the WAN port unless you really need that extra port, for most routers traffic still must use the CPU so performance is lacklustre )
• (I do not change the Firewall settings although you do not want a firewall, the Firewall is automatically disabled as there is no WAN, but it does not hurt to follow the wiki.)

If you have unbridged VAP's or other applications running on your router you have to add the following rule to the firewall in order to get internet access from the VAP's etc.
In the web-interface of the router (the WAP): Administration/Commands save Firewall:
#Always necessary (alternatively set static route on main router and NAT traffic out via the WAN):
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o br0 -j SNAT --to $(nvram get lan_ipaddr)

IF you do it and the WAP is not connected to the main router make sure you have set the right static IP on the Laptop and after you have changed the WAP's IP address reboot the laptop.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
mongobird
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
So it appears that if I change anything on the setup tab, after reboots, the device will eventually loose the IP. Tried clearing cache each time. Didn't help. Using chrome.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: