Problems entering recovery mode on ASUS RT-AC88U

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
xknopix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:35    Post subject: Problems entering recovery mode on ASUS RT-AC88U Reply with quote
I was struggeling to enter the recovery mode on my ASUS RT-AC88U. I ended up with success when I did the following things:

-do a hard reset on the Router (Turn Router on an wait for it to boot - then press WPS butoon for 30 sek - dont release WPS button and turn the Router off - wait 30 sek while still pressing the WPS button - turn Router on an wait 30 sek - release WPS button)
- then enter Recovery Mode (turn Router off - press reset button and wait 10 sek - while still holding the reset button turn the router on and wait until the power LED flash slowly)
- theoreticly you should be in recovery mode now, but in my case not realy
- connect to your router via Lan and set the IP-Address manually to 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0 and gateway to 192.168.1.1
- open the Asus firmware resturation tool and select your firmware
- press on upload
Now the resturation tool tries to connect to the Router, in my case with no succeess!
- after pressing the Upload button, I waitet untill the software tries to find my router, than I pressed my reset Button on the Router again, untill the software connectet successfully.
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
ASUS Firmware Restoration Versions: 2.1.0.3, 2.1.0.2, 2.0.0.0
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to our lively community.

Several things not right with your methods, all you need is to follow https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/

Hard resets and WPS button pressing for any amount of time is nonsense the link above shows the as the 68U as example clearly and simply detailed, the process is the same.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
No need for the restoration tool unless you cannot seem to access the mini CFE web server recovery at http://192.168.1.1. You basically use steps 2 thru 3-3 to get to recovery mode and point your browser to http://192.168.1.1.

Asus RT-N12 Device Wiki wrote:
Recovery Mode
Hold the recessed reset (Restore) button for 20 sec (or until the power LED blinks slowly) and plug in power. Using a static IP for the computer, open 192.168.1.1. The router is now in Recovery or Rescue mode.

Asus RT-N66U Device Wiki wrote:
Reset button for Recovery
Pressing the Reset button (labeled like ' > o < ') at powerup will put the N66U into recovery mode.

Press and hold the reset button then plug in power until the power LED starts blinking. Access recovery mode at 192.168.1.1.

Also referred to in the RT-AC66U B1 Wiki.

Also, not quite mentioned in the RT-AC88U Device Wiki, but if you read the forum thread, you'll find reference to the procedure as well (more than once and links galore here).

Malachi wrote:
Just to make sure. On Asus routers to get into recovery, unplug the router, hold the rest button in while plugging the power in. Once the power led flashes, let go and navigate to 192.168.1.1 in your browser
Or you could try the firmware restoration tool.

There is also the encrypted CFE caveat, also discussed in the thread.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not seeing a problem with OP's method except maybe unnecessary WPS reset at the beginning.
Maybe the router was placed into recovery mode too early and it timed out before the upload button.
DD-WRT Wiki says to use Asus Firmware Restoration tool. Here is OpenWrt's CFE and TFTP methods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: