tl-wr1043n v5.0 via openwrt luci to dd-wrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
well both ddwrt and openwrt use the same ath9k wifi driver,
so it could be a bad client compatibility
or bad wifi settings router side…

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/50231 seems BrainSlayer found gold nugget extra-para and soft_ver 1.0.9.

I did not scroll far enough down results of a first search because there is a second "add support" 2017 commit.
That explains extra-para but now cannot figure out 1.0.9 reason, reminds me of Archer C7 V5 lucky number 7.

Here is latest, or last, tplink-safeloader.c I can find so far before it was deleted or moved to a different location.
Okay found the new location project/firmware-utils.git/src/tplink-safeloader.c but TLWR1043NV5 soft_ver:1.0.0.

I do not understand the soft_ver changes but this is how C7v5 then later A7v5 were locked into OpenWrt 7.0.0.
Then you cannot TFTP back to stock FW or DD-WRT because of major version differences so that is messed up.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
@zappel: No worries about creating another thread. I'm sure some folks reading along will be happy if this works out finally. I will be testing a post-r50231 alpha at some point. That commit is a result of a discussion between myself and BrainSlayer about this and it was after examining factory firmware which is 1.0.3. I was told the usual caveats about recovery if it bricks. Time to pour some coffee and get my brain wrapped around this thing. "Film at 11".

EDIT 9.23.22.08.15.38: Have to wait for the nightly build, so we wait and see.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
If stock FW webUI 1.0.3 to OpenWrt soft_ver 1.0.0 is successful, what is the point to increment soft_ver to 1.0.9?
Is this future proofing for routers no longer receiving updates? Will this prevent downgrades to stock or OpenWrt?
I am assuming this is mostly harmless unlike lucky number 7 but I'm under the impression to match FW versions.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
"Possible downgrade issue" - but I have a feeling that the additional parameters added at line 1505 were probably more culprit than the downgrade issue. The error I kept seeing via serial was "Bad Magic Number", so that part of the patch may fix that. We'll see. I was told a test build was already running on a device internally, so...

The only person who can answer the question more clearly is the man himself.

----------------------
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, the r50231 commit was retroactively applied to th r50229 nightly build run and educated guess says that r50230 commit does not apply and that there was no "M" applied to the end of the version.

Current caveats with flashing DD-WRT to the V5:

The router is identified as a TL-WR1043NDv4. The firmware has all of the pages and options for USB/NAS support, but this router does not have a USB port, so disregard those pages until this can be resolved by way of special config and further patches for proper detection. I have sent this information to BrainSlayer a few minutes ago prior to posting. I have not looked further into things to see what further changes need to be made yet and they may happen before I submit them, anyway.

EDIT: I temporarily disabled wifi on this, if anyone wonders about the logs. Reason being is I was going to transfer settings from my TL-WR1043NDv2 and swap them out at some point.

----------------------
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
"Possible downgrade issue" - but I have a feeling that the additional parameters added at line 1505 were probably more culprit than the downgrade issue. The error I kept seeing via serial was "Bad Magic Number", so that part of the patch may fix that.
/* Some devices need the extra-para partition to accept the firmware */ Only three lines of code are needed.
I'm trying to make sure in the process of fixing a real issue that others are not introduced to multiple models.
Archer C25, C58, C59, C60, TL-WR1043N V5, ARCHER C7 V4 Seems arbitrary, scattershot solution add 0.0.9.
Factory to OpenWrt soft_ver:1.0.0 is no issue only first or second digits matter so why risk downgrade issues.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've forwarded your concerns up the food chain. I appreciate your tenacity and diligence in finding that part of the patch from OpenWRT which was apparently overlooked 4 years ago that was obviously missed in my own research over the past two years, thanks.

----------------------
zappel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

it seems I have started something ... Thank you!!
However, what does it exacly mean for me as a novice?
Will there be a version for this router, soon? How will I know when the patch will be applied?
And to apply it, I definitely need to go back to the original firmware, right?
Not sure, if I have bricked my device anyway. tftp recovery does not work, next step is serial.

Regards, Zappel
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
zappel wrote:
it seems I have started something ... Thank you!!

You've renewed interest in getting this resolved - "finished something", and thank you for that.

zappel wrote:
However, what does it exacly mean for me as a novice?
Will there be a version for this router, soon? How will I know when the patch will be applied?
And to apply it, I definitely need to go back to the original firmware, right?

The next public beta should be flashable from stock firmware, so you will have to recover to stock firmware first, yes. Hopefully, this "announcement" will be included in the next new build release thread. I will also follow-up in this thread. I have 50231 now currently running, was hoping it would be uploaded today, but no such luck yet.

zappel wrote:
Not sure, if I have bricked my device anyway. tftp recovery does not work, next step is serial.

Press and hold reset while powering up until the WPS light (semi-circular arrows) starts flashing, which is about 3-5 seconds. TFTP server on PC at 192.168.0.66 (details were already posted on the previous page by @blkt). I have recovered mine a few times in the process of this while discussing with the lead developer. Serial is a pain in the ass because you have to bridge one of the pins to a resistor pad on the PCB board or do like I did and carefully hold a lead to the pad and use your other hand to operate your keyboard. Just to be clear, there is NO bootloader stripping requirement to have a working recovery file for this router, whether using stock or OpenWRT factory file.

----------------------
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Right, stripped or webrevert file is only for use with dd-wrt UI and if not done correctly, like LOM, just more headaches.
If either TFTP or TP-Link Web UI Recovery are available for TL-WR1043N V5 simply use regular unmodified factory files.

The two commits below reveal web recovery does in fact exist but mode access may be limited to a flag set in advance.

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=01dcd574a24864c10a9c4df4304a3ce0da5c11a9
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=86e7353bff2a5de257de8ec62e782f016eed143c

"Stock-firmware sets a flag in the "romfile" partition before beginning to write and removes it afterwards. If the router
boots with this flag set, bootloader will automatically start Web-recovery and listens on 192.168.0.1. This way, the
vendor-firmware or an OpenWRT factory image can be written.

By doing the same while performing sysupgrade, we can take advantage of the Web-recovery in OpenWRT.

It is important to note that Web-Recovery is only based on this flag. It can't detect e.g. a crashing kernel or other
means. Once activated it won't boot the OS before a recovery action (either via TFTP or HTTP) is performed.
This recovery-mode is indicated by an illuminated WPS-LED on boot."
zappel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

thanks for the hint with the WPS light. I can now initiate tftp upload. But I am not succeeding. After about 3.9mb it breaks down. Far too early for the original 10mb and still for the 5mb ob OpenWRT.

Any idea what is going wrong?

Regards, Zappel
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Check use anticipation window of 1024 bytes to speed up transfer in TFTP settings.
Also make sure Ethernet adapter and cable are Gigabit capable, link speed is not 100 Mbps.
If WPS light illuminates without using reset button maybe try 192.168.0.1 with web browser.

Last edited by blkt on Sat Sep 24, 2022 15:39; edited 1 time in total
zappel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

I used a different Ethernet port of my PC and it worked.
So I am now back to the original firmware, waiting for the working DD-WRT.

Thanks a million!

Regards, Zappel
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
YOU DID IT! Bad Ethernet port Realtek?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: