Netgear XR500 bricked ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
A flash to a device with bad blocks causes a boot loop. The bad blocks are skipped when flashing, so rootfs can't be located, as it got moved over a few blocks. The power LED will come on every 10-15 seconds on reboot. It sounds like it's either a HW issue or uboot got wiped or corrupted. Either way, specialized equipment & know how are required for repair. RMA if possible.

I've given up on these. 2/3 I bought had bad blocks. The 3rd has been great, but it's clear Netgear cut some corners to lower cost. Who knows what will fail prematurely.

OpenMediaVault server for tailscale, SMB, & Emby
Sponsor
jean019
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
mwbuss8 wrote:
A flash to a device with bad blocks causes a boot loop. The bad blocks are skipped when flashing, so rootfs can't be located, as it got moved over a few blocks. The power LED will come on every 10-15 seconds on reboot.

The issue is that there is currently no power LED at all... only usb and ethernet.

I'm starting to think this hardware is a real POS. My R7800 is still working rock solid after several years. And I understand there's not much new alternatives for dd-wrt.

foz111 wrote:
"The only output was "[Warning] skb_warn_bad_offload!!!"
This is where your problem started, I believe it should have returned nothing, back to flashing curser!

I don't know, is this message the one that indicates bad block ?

netgear R9000 : r49934 (Vanilla)
netgear R7800 : [n°1] r50595 (Vanilla) / [n°2] r49934 (Vanilla) / [n°3] r49934 (Vanilla) / [n°4] r49934 (Vanilla)
tp-link archer C7v2 : r49934 (Vanilla)
tp-link archer C5v1.2@C7v2 : r33772
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, that message is related to the network stack.

Quote:
The socket buffer, or "SKB", is the most fundamental data structure in the Linux networking code.

http://vger.kernel.org/~davem/skb.html

https://docs.kernel.org/networking/skbuff.html

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
jean019 wrote:
The issue is that there is currently no power LED at all... only usb and ethernet.

That's why I said your issue is likely more than just bad blocks & suggested RMA if possible. Serial connection could give more info about what's going on and could get you into recovery mode if uboot is still intact, but it's not worth opening it and killing the warranty it's currently valid. If not, open it up for a serial connection. If uboot comes up, you can get back to stock at minimum, and potentially determine the origin of the issues. If uboot doesn't come up, you can sell it for parts on ebay. Someone out there probably wants the antennas.

OpenMediaVault server for tailscale, SMB, & Emby
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: