Netgear r8000: Config pages intermittantly fail to load

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
egosumumbravir
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:03    Post subject: Netgear r8000: Config pages intermittantly fail to load Reply with quote
Bit of an odd situation after an upgrade, has anyone encountered something like this before?

Did an in-place GUI upgrade of a Netgear R8000 from an older (r47822) to r50146 while keeping config.

It seems to have gone OK (most everything works) but there's a weird intermittent bug where the internal webpages won't load (latest Firefox) - click on a link and the browser stalls waiting. I can pretty much immediately click "stop" and "refresh" and the page will then load as normal. Usually stalls between the 5th to 10th link/page, so often enough to be annoying.

Current troubleshooting has been - factory reset the router: no resolution
- clear the firefox cache: no resolution
- the router responds to pings consistently through page stalls.

Since it's late and I'm beat, there's more to try tomorrow but I thought I might ask to see if anyone else has seen this kind of behaviour.

Tomorrow troubleshooting - test with chrome, then reflash r50146 with firmware reset. (or should I downgrade 1 ver and then upgrade??)
Is there a log somewhere I should be grepping?

cheers

edit: yes, I'm hardwired. No WiFi.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
your best move: reset and manual reconfig...50146 is the last build you dont need an older..
also make sure you dont have addons that can case the issue...FFx is better than chrome as chrome based browsers are know to cause GUI troubles...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nothing new you report. Build threads ad naseaum hit the mark on what to do, we all made sure this info was covered.

Browser Cache clear is very important, CTRL+F5 to force clear it, the web interface then and now is like night and day, in fact most of the css no longer exists in the same way and quantity/repetition it use to. But Browsers will cache crap no matter if you tell them to or not, local stuff is grabbed and kept and later the old local crap will head butt the new stuff, and local always wins and if wrong you see what you see, perhaps even worst.

Sometimes reflashing helps somewhat, Ive noticed that for instance HTTPS side, when Im on my 3rd daily flash of newer dev builds, some slowness with authentication and back and forth browser server side, I often notice some things gets cleared up, like it sneezed and suddenly some crap got cleared up. My theory is at the nanometers of the flash sometimes electrons may just misbehave, this is a known issue nothing can solve and will only get worst as things shrink on the nanometer scale.

And there is a reason why most of the time nvram resets are recommended, some gremlins refuse to go away any other way.

The next public build should be slightly better, were now loading the JavaScript later and css first (random FOUC clearing technique), again cache clear will be important to out the gremlins holding to cached crap JavaScript side.

And also smaller, /etc/www (where everything ui is stored in a single file) use to be around 3.5MB perhaps more, then 3204261 bytes @Aug 14 and @r50167 2982974bytes Sep 14, after -r50173 2905386bytes Sep 14.
We have worked hard and removed almost all the old useless crud and optimized the themes and way it works together. Still I am already eyeing more useless stuff to remove and further make that number smaller.

Easily checked by doing ls -all /etc/www

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
The problem is a renewed failure to load the CSS that was not as prevalent for a while, but now it's back. Mostly related to browser cache as stated, but when it does it when the cache is clear and you just opened the browser and pointed it at the (default elegant style and anything tied to it, including the new themes), that seems to be something not seen for a while... and it matters not which browser you're using.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
MysticGold04
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am getting the same exact thing on my RT-AC3100. It is randomly happening to me too. Multiple computers and browsers, both wired and wireless. Cache cleared with Ctrl-F5 multiple times.

I have dark styles enabled. it seems like the httpd daemon is dying. I can ssh in and issue the command:

Code:
service httpd restart

and I can access the webui again. This has been happening for at least the last handful of new builds...

ASUS RT-AC68U Gateway/AP r54604
Edgerouter-4, v2.0.9-hotfix7

Last edited by MysticGold04 on Wed Sep 14, 2022 20:11; edited 1 time in total
Phil9992
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
@MysticGold04 So is it the same thing, since @egosumumbravir says stop and refresh works ?

@egosumumbravir It may be an inadequate station network configuration or antivirus related issue for instance. Could you please tell us what is your OS, what is your antivirus if any, are you using https, dd-wrt congestion control algorithm, and so on ?
MysticGold04
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
for me, clicking stop and refresh does nothing to bring it back. It successively times out if I do that. The only way to bring the UI back is to power off and reboot, or to ssh in and reboot or restart the httpd service.
ASUS RT-AC68U Gateway/AP r54604
Edgerouter-4, v2.0.9-hotfix7
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
A simple refresh of the page or CTRL+F5 reloads the page successfully in most instances, or should.

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
egosumumbravir
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Phil9992 wrote:
@MysticGold04 So is it the same thing, since @egosumumbravir says stop and refresh works ?

That sounds like we have a different bug. 9 of 10 pages load close enough to instantly, so when you click something and it stalls, it's pretty obvious. I don't even have to wait anything beyond realising it's stalled and just double click the spinning reload button in Firefox for a stop and refresh. Then the desired page loads as fast as anything else.

Phil9992 wrote:
@egosumumbravir It may be an inadequate station network configuration or antivirus related issue for instance. Could you please tell us what is your OS, what is your antivirus if any, are you using https, dd-wrt congestion control algorithm, and so on ?

Intel Xeon X5670, 24Gb ram, Crucial SATA SSD
Windows 10, up to date as of last weekend.
Bog standard Windows Defender.
Firefox whatever the current is/was for the weekend (I just let the autoupdater do it's thing).
The original config was moderately complicated, but the issue persisted after factory defaulting.

OK. Have had time tonight to work through some more variables.

Firefox CTRL+F5: issue persists
Firefox SHIFT+F5: issue persists
CClean Firefox cache: issue persists
Delete all the appdata mozilla folders (aka factory reset): issue persists
Switch to MSEdge: issue persists
Reflash with r50146 + reset to defaults, only set user/pass: issue persists

Ok, I'm officially stumped. Early signs of hardware failure? I'll see about digging up a different PSU & my laptop for an entirely different environment tomorrow.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only other possibility is that your power supply adapter is failing, barring no hardware failure. I don't have a tri-band router to test to see if it's specific to these particular Broadcom devices. I am not seeing it on the R7000P, and I *always* use a separate portable browser with no extensions or add-ons loaded in private browsing mode using only http.

I (we) have seen random garbled webUIs again when using anything that uses the elegant-based UI style, though - but haven't in 50176 yet. The kromo, xirian, brainslayer, wikar UI styles do not have those issues. But there's been even more patches submitted since 50146 and a couple since 50176. Quite honestly, I've been expecting the CSS loading issue, but I haven't seen the webUI httpd process come grinding to a halt.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can force this issue to present itself, by changing tabs in sequence and with intent to nothing else in any given page, eventually the router will choke and things will not load.

I have recently made a change to load JavaScript later and in some instances saved the browser some processing time rending the pages because they didnt have to be redrawn, other minor fixes to invalid tables, which prevents browser from reading the file and then try to fix the invalid table HTML layout.

Other possible causes can also be made worst with certain addons, ublock + and others should all be disabled DD-WRT side, there is nothing to protect against or anything to block and all these addons and their injected JavaScript can have unintended performance effects.

Hard to know, could be many things and Im sure none related to DD-WRT. Imagine if it were, we would be flooded with bug reports left right and center. None the least I would have noticed it as well. Can say that it is so, I hate under performing crap.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
In my experience, uBlock is usually benign, but can be disabled as it's not required. I've tested with and without it enabled and haven't noticed any glaring difference. I've just ping-f*cked everything from WRT54* to R7000P on 50181M to try and get the httpd to choke or crash. It may happen in non-private non-incognito mode, but it doesn't happen in private / incognito mode - and I don't have any add-ons or extensions loaded and not accessing with the same browser I cruise the internet with. The only non-portable browsers I use by default have been Waterfox Classic and Firefox ESR/Quantum. This has been the case for quite some time on both official and personal builds when others have had crashes and other issues. It is *very* random that Elegant-based styles display the CSS load failure anomaly, but I don't expect it to go away completely. NOTE: The "M" has nothing to do with webUI/httpd save and except for offered packages - outside of those modifications, it's 100% upstream code. IOW, anything you or BrainSlayer has committed is in play.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
egosumumbravir
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
I can force this issue to present itself, by changing tabs in sequence and with intent to nothing else in any given page

That's pretty much how I'm triggering it at the moment after noticing a couple of stalls when doing the original config.

Just to confuse the matter: plugged in my R7000. Can't get it to stall.
Swapped back to the R8000. ok stalling as normal.
Switched to my laptop with the R8000. Now I've gotten it to stall exactly once and gotten bored trying to trigger it again clicking around the GUI.

Ok no set rhyme or rhythm, edge case where everything else works and I'm about to r50176 this sucker anyway so ignore me Smile
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
It has always been random. No definite chronic specific circumstantial variables involved. I'm somewhat confident that maybe once all of the .css / webUI code tweaks are done, it may settle out. We'll see. <wink>

the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nothing todo with CSS/HTML Web interface wise. The elegant themes were refactored as they stand currently are less 75% CSS to do same job. Performance should increase and size of /etc/www has decreased steadily (it will increase eventually when some other designs are introduced like responsive or flexible designs, nothing has been decided or started to be worked on.

Try clearing browser cache with CTRL+F5 and dont hammer the tabs in sequence just to trigger issues, because in that scenario it will happen sooner or later.

The lead dev is aware of failure to load CSS randomly and even language.js that is a separate issue that has nothing todo with the web interface itself. Nothing has been done toward that end.

Last conversation around that subject it was said that sometimes the browsers sends and empty request, now if that is any cause wouldn't know. The HTTP server is custom built for speed and small size, so could be any unknown cause at this time.

Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: