Quite disappointed with the WRT3200ACM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
brucehvn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:03    Post subject: Quite disappointed with the WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
A couple of years ago, I bought a Linksys WRT3200ACM on sale, but then never really had the time to actually configure it and start using it, so it was new in the box for a long time.

This past week, I changed my ISP, so I decided to dig it out and swap out my old Buffalo "N" router with this shiny new "AC" router.

I followed the instructions to flash the router database version of dd-wrt, then immediately flashed the latest build (r50057).

I spent a lot of time reading the forum here and the thread by kernel-panic69 that lists all the threads associated with wireless issues on this router was quite daunting and was a huge red flag.

I've got it up and running and configured with all the settings from my old router, but I can tell I've got some wireless issues. I'll post in the builds thread with my experiences in more detail, but I can tell that this isn't going to be worth the fight for me. I need stable wireless and since it appears there won't be any more work on the Marvell drivers, I'm probably just going to chalk this up to experience rather than live with a huge number of workarounds.

I've ordered a certified refurbished Netgear XR500 (R7800) router and it should be here around Thursday.

I'm amazed at the effort put in by the people here to do what they can to solve issues with all these routers and I applaud all of you.
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry to hear that, but I agree, people need to get things working and thus find ways around whatever.

Also latest is -r50146 so at you're @ 57 is already quite old Wink

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
FlaParrotHead
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 18:33    Post subject: Re: Quite disappointed with the WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
brucehvn wrote:
A couple of years ago, I bought a Linksys WRT3200ACM on sale, but then never really had the time to actually configure it and start using it, so it was new in the box for a long time.

This past week, I changed my ISP, so I decided to dig it out and swap out my old Buffalo "N" router with this shiny new "AC" router.

I followed the instructions to flash the router database version of dd-wrt, then immediately flashed the latest build (r50057).

I spent a lot of time reading the forum here and the thread by kernel-panic69 that lists all the threads associated with wireless issues on this router was quite daunting and was a huge red flag.

I've got it up and running and configured with all the settings from my old router, but I can tell I've got some wireless issues. I'll post in the builds thread with my experiences in more detail, but I can tell that this isn't going to be worth the fight for me. I need stable wireless and since it appears there won't be any more work on the Marvell drivers, I'm probably just going to chalk this up to experience rather than live with a huge number of workarounds.

I've ordered a certified refurbished Netgear XR500 (R7800) router and it should be here around Thursday.

I'm amazed at the effort put in by the people here to do what they can to solve issues with all these routers and I applaud all of you.

Personally love my 3200ACM. Most of the issues with the chipset were fixed awhile back. The speed and thruput with the device is excellent. Occasional hiccups but that’s going to happen with both opensource as well as vendor firmware.

Kernel VersionLinux 4.9.330 #3466 SMP Thu Oct 13 02:01:23 +07 2022 armv7l
Linksys RE9000 Extender (WiFi attached)
OpenVPN with PBR: ExpressVPN
Devices: Sonos, Apple, QNAP, Laserjet other
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
This thread was so that people would go on Trac and review / close out old tickets that are probably irrelevant now:

Sticky: Current Marvell-related tickets in the bug tracker

This thread is just a placeholder for links to all of the egregious discussion of "issues" with wifi and various client hardware:

REFERENCE: Marvell Wifi Issues Discussion

I surmised to make a sticky for "Baseline Recommended Wifi Settings" per driver specs, etc. but there didn't seem to be any interest in it. You can only care so much before you burn out, so they say. Anyhow, if you want help sorting out your wifi settings, post screenshots and list clients / client hardware so other Marvell / WRT3200ACM owners can chime in with their recommendations.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a WRT3200ACM. Did a factory reset and then flashed. followed by another factory reset. this router ROCKS!

Leave channel width at highest allowed in your area but leave channel on auto.

and last but not least, USE THE 5GHZ RADIO AS YOUR PRIMARY!!!

2.4ghz nowadays is like driving on the old crappy roads and should only be used for devices that do not support 5ghz.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
Oldsmobile_Mike
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Degree in network engineering, working in IT for 20 years, and setting up home networks since the early 1990's. WRT3200ACM is one of the best routers I've ever owned, aside from some professional level SonicWall equipment. Obv. YMMV. Good luck getting yours set up correctly. And I agree with the above - use 5GHz for everything other than crappy old equipment that doesn't support it. #shrug
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
The main problem with Marvell WRT series is compatibility with cheap smart home automation internet of things etc.
Since wireless drivers are not being updated, or provided by NXP, isolate all of these clients with separate hardware.
Do not attempt VAP or guest networks, use another router or repurpose an older model so avoid the Marvell issues.

Keep it simple, use the defaults, set both channels, slowly branch out over time to identify any problematic settings.
Always keep wlan2 disabled it's vestigial and has no external antennas and was only meant for DFS radar detection.
Need 2.4 GHz workarounds BG-Mixed, G-Only, WMM disable to keep stability? One or more clients are incompatible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: