[FIXED in r50146/]EA 8500- NAS Mount Errors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
mark74
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 21:37    Post subject: [FIXED in r50146/]EA 8500- NAS Mount Errors Reply with quote
I have an EA8500 with Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r49599 std (07/30/22). I have attached 2 USB drives as NAS - sdb1 is a small ext2 thumb drive mounted on usb2 with entware and sda1 is a 4TB hard disk that exFAT mounted on usb3 (I left it as exFAT because that will allow me to easily switch between the router and my windows PC.)

When I check dmesg after the boot up, I noticed the following.

[ 39.803469] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
[ 39.911303] ksmbd: kill command received
[ 40.799122] EXT4-fs (sdb1): Ignoring removed nobh option
[ 40.806950] EXT4-fs (sdb1): warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
[ 40.809429] EXT4-fs (sdb1): mounted filesystem without journal. Opts: init_it able=0,nobarrier,nobh,barrier=0
[ 45.826810] sda: sda1
[ 45.828374] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Very big device. Trying to use READ CAPACITY(16 ).
[ 45.829380] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
[ 45.879473] Linux kernel CIFS/SMB SERVER 3.4.4 by Namjae Jeon <linkinjeon@ker nel.org>
[ 45.893864] ksmbd: kill command received
[ 46.456877] exFAT-fs (sda1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.

Do I need to add some commands to "shutdown" section to properly unmount the drives? Or is there another option that I need to check elsewhere? Do I need to run fsck everytime the router boots up? I have set it to reboot weekly.

After I copy files to the larger drive, sometimes it doesn't allow me to browse that drive till I do a reboot. Not sure if it is related to the above errors.
Sponsor
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could feasibly run e2fsck on your ext4 formatted drive within ssh or telnet, but DDWRT does not contain a fsck for Microsoft file systems. You will physically need to remove the drive from router and run fsck from your Windows PC. Definitely seems like it needs it.

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r53562
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r53562

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port.

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Current public release should handle this already. I mean the unmounting part. Since youre running an older build you have the choice to upgrade and remove not needed commands, if youre using ksmbd also its been updated somewhat and bugs fixed.
DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
mark74
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Current public release should handle this already. I mean the unmounting part. Since youre running an older build you have the choice to upgrade and remove not needed commands, if youre using ksmbd also its been updated somewhat and bugs fixed.

I didn't add any unmount command yet. I was wondering if I need to, since it seems to have the improper umount causing these errors.

If the latest version will eliminate this, I will upgrade.

PS- Looks like Entware comes with fsck for windows based file systems. There is a package exfat-fsck. I might try that to avoid moving between the router and PC
the-joker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Once you get the drive in a clean state and a recent dd-wrt build past 50000 because its such a nice number, then you shouldn't need it. Ive had reports the fix works and Ive tested it myself despite not being a user of this NAS side router functionality (beyond testing)
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

mark74
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Once you get the drive in a clean state and a recent dd-wrt build past 50000 because its such a nice number, then you shouldn't need it. Ive had reports the fix works and Ive tested it myself despite not being a user of this NAS side router functionality (beyond testing)

I upgraded the router to current version(9/15). The errors went away for the 4TB drive, but the entware thumb drive was still showing errors (though I did e2fsck before and after the upgrade on that drive). I was getting errors while upgrading entware after dd-wrt upgrade.

So I ended up reformatting the drive through dd-wrt GUI (which seems to have formatted it as ext4 vs ext2 which I did outside of the router) and then reinstalled entware. After a few reboots everything seems to be fine as far as messages about corrrupt data is concerned. But I do see the following message which I am assuming is okay

40.669535] EXT4-fs (sda1): Ignoring removed nobh option
[ 40.705667] EXT4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem without journal. Opts: init_it able=0,nobarrier,nobh,barrier=0

Also optware seem to be mounted as "sda1" after the upgrade while it used to be mounted as "sdb1". Not sure if it has anything to with formatting it as ext4 vs ext2.

Thanks for all the help with fixing this issue.
the-joker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mount points happen as per drive assignments, sda sdb etc, the drive is now sda1, it has nothing to do with filesystem.

if you have more than one drive connected each will get a unique sdX. Clearly you cant have separate drives at same time with same sdX.

If in doubt look at the USB page and look at each different drive and their sdX assignments.

mark74
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Mount points happen as per drive assignments, sda sdb etc, the drive is now sda1, it has nothing to do with filesystem.

if you have more than one drive connected each will get a unique sdX. Clearly you cant have separate drives at same time with same sdX.

If in doubt look at the USB page and look at each different drive and their sdX assignments.

Thanks. I have two drives connected- thumb drive with entware on usb 2.0 and external hard drive for storage on usb3.0. I noticed it switched the drive assignments again and I had to go to "NAS" page to correct the share assignment to the other mount point(sdb1->sda1). I was assuming since usb3.0 is faster that will usually get sda1.Is there anyway to set the shares using something other than the mountpoint - like physical device id (may be using the drive's UUID or label). In my raspberry pi, it seems to be done using UUID in /etc/fstab

Also, I noticed the error/warning on the thumbdrive is back today thugh it doesn't give the same error on the larger storage drive

[ 41.128078] .
[ 41.937214] EXT4-fs (sdb1): Ignoring removed nobh option
[ 41.977212] EXT4-fs (sdb1): warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended

Unrelated to this.. I am assuming dd-wrt is still disabling WPS. I noticed the led lighting up near the wps button, wasn't sure if that meant supporting wps with new version.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the Services->USB, fill in the UUID to mount as "jffs" and "opt" and use them in the NAS setup.
the-joker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
USB 3.0 implementation in some routers is a bit bullshit, not necessarily better/faster. And no, sdX is not assigned per USB port capabilities, it makes no difference. On boot the sdX is assigned depending on which devices comes up first, if you already have one sda the next device will get sdb and so on, and it may be possible if you have a USB hub to get more devices, not sure however how DD-WRT handles external hubs.

On my router a USB 3 caddy with a HDD drive connected to USB 3.0 speed is quite shit while the same drive directly connected on standalone server maxes out gigabit, doesn't get much better if its a SSD instead in caddy.

This is one of the many reason I have standalone servers who do only this, nothing else and those I can max out the gigabit LAN, while on Router, results are comparable to USB 1 on my router write/read is all over the place.

Too many bottlenecks router side IMO different routers will perform differently and have better implementations of USB 3.

But in a pinch sure, its a handy feature on the router.

As for your message, clearly the FS is in an unknown state again, the bottom message says it clearly, but you can for sure get rid of the message by mounting the drives by UUID like advised above and scripting the e2fsck check as a startup/usb command. Just make sure you do a script that checks the FS of drive to avoid trying on wrong/unsupported FS.

optware containing drives should be in /opt anyway same as with anything compiled by user since you dont really have an option on a read only FS to use /usr/local

mark74
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I already have a NAS. I was using the storage drive connected to this router to provide a backup of important files (using rsync may be on a weekly basis which is why I added entware on the thumb drive).

When I label the thumbrdive as "optware", it gets automatically mounted as "/opt" without any additional specification using UUID. My issue is more to do with the other drive as I would like it to have a consistent mount point for that one, so that I can reference that in my backup script or even to expose it through samba as a share.

Not sure if it is recommended to mount a large storge drive as jffs using UUID, when the purpose of that drive is not jffs.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Default samba share mountpoint is /jffs in nvram, it seems.
Code:
nvram show | grep dirpath
samba3_dirpath=/jffs

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
mark74
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
Default samba share mountpoint is /jffs in nvram, it seems.
Code:
nvram show | grep dirpath
samba3_dirpath=/jffs

Thanks. I read somewhere that jffs is mounted early in the boot process.. wasn't sure if usb will be ready by then as my hard drive is on usb3.0. May be that comment was about the "jffs2 support" mentioned in "administration" section on mounting the flash partition as jffs?

Also, I noticed the entire /opt is <20 MB. Could I install entware directly in the router in /opt directory? Then I don't have to worry about separate usb drive. Or will that be overwritten during flashing firmware? I am assuming /jffs and /opt will be retained across flashing, even if I do a reset during the install.

https://pastebin.com/VDZ32r2D

I noticed the above script that may seem to take care of both issues for me - running a file system check before mount and mounting at a fixed mountpoint all the time instead of sda1/sda2 etc. I might use this instead of the automatic mount.
szpunk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
mark74 wrote:
I already have a NAS. I was using the storage drive connected to this router to provide a backup of important files (using rsync may be on a weekly basis which is why I added entware on the thumb drive).

When I label the thumbrdive as "optware", it gets automatically mounted as "/opt" without any additional specification using UUID. My issue is more to do with the other drive as I would like it to have a consistent mount point for that one, so that I can reference that in my backup script or even to expose it through samba as a share.

Not sure if it is recommended to mount a large storge drive as jffs using UUID, when the purpose of that drive is not jffs.

Use
Code:
blkid
to get the UUID for your thumb drive, then add these to startup script:

Code:
#ntfsfix -d $(findfs UUID=4EED780EB342E5D9) #Only for NTFS disk
mkdir -p /mnt/xxx
mount -o noatime,nls=utf8 $(findfs UUID=4EED780EB342E5D9) /mnt/xxx
mark74
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
szpunk wrote:

Use
Code:
blkid
to get the UUID for your thumb drive, then add these to startup script:

Code:
#ntfsfix -d $(findfs UUID=4EED780EB342E5D9) #Only for NTFS disk
mkdir -p /mnt/xxx
mount -o noatime,nls=utf8 $(findfs UUID=4EED780EB342E5D9) /mnt/xxx

Thanks. I think the script that I have linked in the above post does the same. It also does the file system check (which was the other issue for me on the "/opt" drive).

Looks like "findfs" can be done using volume label as well. So that may be better if volume labels are kept constant even if the device is changed over time. Example- I replace the backup drive with a bigger drive next year, I don't need to change the startup script.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: