WRT3200ACM poor range after flash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
pickler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 18:10    Post subject: WRT3200ACM poor range after flash Reply with quote
I have a WRT3200ACM which I flashed to latest firmware 44715 from factory yesterday. it seems the speed is much faster than factory now on 5Ghz band with AC only and VHT160Mhz on channels 36-48.

I'm able to get 500mbit download and 700mbps upload about 6 feet away. At 10 feet speed falls to 100d/150u. However as I walk to my bedroom which is about 15ft away behind a wall, I lose signal. speeds also falls off dramatically past 10 feet to single digits before losing signal. I tried switching to VHT80 and channel 100 and I still have the same issue. 2.4ghz bands are off but I did try switching them on channels 1, 6 and 11 and it too had very bad range and was unable to reach my bedroom.

I used wifi analyzer to find the best channels but it seems no matter what channel I set it on and no matter what TX power, sensitivity range, it just has abysmal range. I also tried enabling short GI and short preamble and it did not help. I'm kind of stuck as this router is useless to me now. As reference my tplink A6 can reach my bedroom on both bands no problem and give me 100mbps speed minimum with mumimo enabled. This is at the same exact broadcast spot.

any help would be appreciated.

Physical Interface ath0 - SSID [dd-wrt_5GHz]
Wireless Mode: AP
Wireless Network Mode: AC
Channel Width: VHT80
Wireless Channel: 100
Extension Channel: +6
Wireless Network Name (SSID): dd-wrt_5GHz
Wireless SSID Broadcast: Enable
Advanced Settings: checked
TX Power: 30
Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing): 100

Physical Interface ath1 - SSID [dd-wrt_2.4GHz]
Wireless Network Mode: Disabled
Channel Width: Full (20MHz)
Wireless Channel: 11
Extension Channel: Auto
Wireless Network Name (SSID): dd-wrt_2.4GHz
Advanced Settings: checked
TX Power: 25

Physical Interface ath2 - SSID [dd-wrt_MIX]
Wireless Network Mode: Disabled
Channel Width: Full (20MHz)
TurboQAM Support: Disable
Wireless Network Name (SSID): dd-wrt_MIX
Advanced Settings: unchecked
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 18:29    Post subject: Re: WRT3200ACM poor range after flash Reply with quote
pickler wrote:
I have a WRT3200ACM which I flashed to latest firmware 44715 from factory yesterday.

I have bad news for you, the latest is not some 2 year old 44715 FW you found on router database and ignored to read the DISCLAIMER on the router database page.

The latest is http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/08-15-2022-r49741/linksys-wrt3200acm/

And now you will require to reset to defaults and reconfigure from scratch after upgrade and clear browser cache with CTRL + F5

I would however wait for next release after that its has many fixes going in but you can upgrade anyway to r49741 and just upgrade after without reset to next build.

And Welcome to our lively community Wink

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
pickler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
thank you I will upgrade and test again.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing): 100

The value may be too low.
Keep the default setting.

Too low values are problematic in contrast to high values.
They can cause the connection to become unusable even though there is enough signal strength.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would also recommend you never set any SSID that indicates the machine type or firmware type, something unrelated and non identifiable in any way is always better, in case any script kiddies know of a particular vulnerability that they can leverage.

Most especially when running outdated firmware where many known security vulnerabilities are unpatched.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Marvell builds do not have ACK timing adjustment option, Marvell never supported, since at least December of 2021.

Ignore a dropdown option when performing DD-WRT web interface firmware upgrade, keep "Do not Reset" selected.
08/20/2022 - r49792 after verify flash success, reset, Administration -> Factory Defaults or nvram erase && reboot.
pickler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you, I upgraded yesterday without reset by using SSH to switch partitions first. Yes the new build has taken care of the erroneous ACK timing options. It's no longer there. The range is improved on some DFS channels now but it is still not as far reaching as my $50 TPLINK Archer A6 or my Bell ISP router.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: