WRT 1200AC USB NTFS Performance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 19:25    Post subject: WRT 1200AC USB NTFS Performance Reply with quote
Hello there

I would like to know your experiences using recent builds, Mainly USB HDD NTFS read / write speeds / performance on samba or ftp.

If anyone can share their experience I will be grateful.

Thanks
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can run some tests but will be on my router, not anything like yours if it matters see my sig.

Also it will be the very latest public build, perhaps even newer builds not yet public or that arent or will be public.

Perhaps now you feel like you could share YOUR experience and details while you wait?

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
I can run some tests but will be on my router, not anything like yours if it matters see my sig.

Also it will be the very latest public build, perhaps even newer builds not yet public or that arent or will be public.

Perhaps now you feel like you could share YOUR experience and details while you wait?

Thank you!

I am looking at buying a used WRT 1200AC specifically for this. My current setup is a USB NTFS HDD attached to R7000 (Broadcom ARM), over 5Ghz wireless, I'm getting 20-24 MB/S read and around 7 MB/s write (using FTP). On SMB it is much worse.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 16:18    Post subject: Bottlenecks Reply with quote
Right, the r7000 is comparable to mine, hardware wise its identical.

It may matter here if you use USB3/2 router side (USB already has limits in transfer speeds (also matters if its HDD/SSD in the USB caddy), this is one bottleneck.

If you're using the 5GHz radio and you use the USB3 this will likely be worse, I'm not sure if the USB3 port is on same PCI bus or not on these routers R7000/RT-AC68U, if it does this will slow down things.

It also matters source HDD/SSD for upload/download from/to the device you running tests from these are also bottlenecks.

And dont forget that it matters your WiFi device capability and capabilities and what your WIFI setup is, because depending on your wifi settings you client may or may be running at peak speeds.

So you should actually share more details about your setup based on details above as it all matters.

So anyway, your intended new router if its not as beefy as the R7000 expect worse results.
Another bottleneck is device RAM/CPU.

In short, asking the router and especially shitty CPUs and Low RAM devices to act as Samba servers and whatever else is nonsense as far as I'm concerned, especially when these devices already need a certain amount of resources for its basic duties.

Over here I use dedicated servers that only job is to serve files via Samba/NFS/SFTP the router is basically just that, a router.
Same for the Media Center (KODI) its also a dedicated device, and thats where you dont want stuttering and such nonsense, cause the router ksmbd serves files in parts and spawns several processes that will bog down the router CPU and thus slower transfers because there not enough CPU time for everything

I can tell you with my setup (dedicated boxes) I max out the Gigabit LAN over wired no matter upload/download. Wireless its maxed out also but not even anywhere close to Gigabit because the WiFi clients are just limited.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 17:03    Post subject: Re: Bottlenecks Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:

So anyway, your intended new router if its not as beefy as the R7000 expect worse results.
Another bottleneck is device RAM/CPU..

The WRT1200 has a Marvell Armada 385 88F6820 CPU which has a bit more power than the R7000.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=991110

http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Linksys_WRT1200AC_v1
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a WRT32x although it also uses a marvell SOC running at 1.8ghz. I think your WRT1200ac may likely be fine still.

HDD I have attached is a WD-Red-8TB drive inside a HDD Docking station conected to the routers usb 3.0 port.

I can confirm that with both NTFS and EXT4, you can get speeds of up to around 500mbps to 1000mbps. Depending on what you are transferring.

If its big chonky files then you should see throughput nearing next to 1000mbps. If not, around 500mbps. maybe even less if its all smaller files.

Also, EXT4 is better in my opinion. Every time my dd-wrt did not properly shut down, I would have to plug the drive into a windows computer just to run check disk.

with EXT4, it just works even if the power was cut. comes right back up.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: