R8500 web gui disappears when click apply

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
fox95
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 21:23    Post subject: R8500 web gui disappears when click apply Reply with quote
Router Name
Router Model Netgear R8500
Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r49626 std (08/03/22)
Kernel VersionLinux 4.4.302-st20 #6851 SMP Wed Aug 3 04:03:45 +07 2022 armv7l

i started having issues where the wifi was inop where you could connect to it but no connection to internet(wired ethernet connection worked fine).

so i tried reverting to an old version of dd wrt firmware after i reset the router back to stock netgear firmware and now the web gui doesn't work properly

it will work fine to display and click throught the tabs, but as soon as you make a change to a setting and click save or apply it just goes to "this site Can't be reached" error page.

ive fiddled around with multiple dd firmwares installing them from as far back as 2016 and all still do the same thing.

thanks
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Click Save instead of Apply.

When you apply all the drivers are restartet. Waitz until it comes back.

Save only Save the changes and you have to reboot to apply.
fox95
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Click Save instead of Apply.

When you apply all the drivers are restartet. Waitz until it comes back.

Save only Save the changes and you have to reboot to apply.

as soon as you click save the screen disappears and goes to browser default error page "unreachable"

so as an update. this is Brave browser. and it has been working fine up until today.

so as a test i switched to another laptop with the SAME Brave browser and everything works fine.

I do not know what has happened with this laptops browser. Both laptops are configured almost identically, with firewalls, and VPN's and services. I keep all my PC's/laptops configured the same with software and services etc...
fox95
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
This was some type of browser issue, I deleted all browsing history and all data in the browser and now it works...

no clue what happened but somewhere along the way the browser changed.

I am always very patient and wait for the connection to be active before trying to apply changes. i keep the network adaptor options window open so i can see when the connection comes back on line.

weird.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Portable browser, private mode that clears cookies and cache on exit with zero add-ons or extensions loaded, separate from your Internet browsing. Unless you want to risk some l33t h4x0rz stealing your router login info via some p0rn site. /SIC
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found the web GUI somewhat fragile. I use the Firefox browser and sometime after making changes I lose use of the web GUI. Clearing the browser cache and history does not seem to work. I usually wait 10 minutes and restart the browser and I get the GUI back.
fox95
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Portable browser, private mode that clears cookies and cache on exit with zero add-ons or extensions loaded, separate from your Internet browsing. Unless you want to risk some l33t h4x0rz stealing your router login info via some p0rn site. /SIC

what portable browser do you trust and use?
fox95
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
PaulGo wrote:
I found the web GUI somewhat fragile. I use the Firefox browser and sometime after making changes I lose use of the web GUI. Clearing the browser cache and history does not seem to work. I usually wait 10 minutes and restart the browser and I get the GUI back.

its really strange behavior that caught me out. i wasted a massive amount of time thinking it was something to do with firmware.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I interchange between Firefox ESR and Pale Moon Portable browsers. I've even used Waterfox Classic and Firefox ESR non-portable without issue. Keep in mind, I am not connected to anything but the webUI with these, generally in Private browsing mode, with all the garbage settings turned off, no add-ons, no extensions, no scripts, nada, zilch. "Save" as you go, "reboot" when done... OR be very patient if you're going to ping-puck "Apply". This isn't stock firmware that has almost no meat to the underlying code.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: