[3rd party RESOLVED] Netgear R8000 Kong Mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
SomethingStupid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:20    Post subject: [3rd party RESOLVED] Netgear R8000 Kong Mod Reply with quote
My objective was to block all non-vpn but ended up blocking it all.

So I created a bridge br1, I then assigned it to the main bridge br1 on eth0

I put iptables -I FORWARD -i br1 -o eth0 -j DROP
In the Firewall

I cannot access the router now.

Reset button would usually fix this issue but after upgrading to the newest kong mod build none of the buttons work.

When I try to reset using 30/30/30 method it does respond but when it loads back up it has the same settings.

Think maybe I need a JTAG cable or a Serial Cable? Just need to reset the NVRAM

Router works perfectly fine just this one line on the firewall so I can't get to.
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum.

I will transfer this thread to the appropriate forum.

See the forum guidelines with helpful pointers about how to research your router, where and what firmware to download, where and how to post and many other helpful tips:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Kong stopped developing for DDWRT a long time ago and his build are no longer supported or advised.

You can try to TFTP or use NMRPFlash to upload a decent build with a working reset button.
30/30/30 is not advised on Broadcom Arm routers, if you have a working reset button then while the router is running pressing it for around 10 sec should do

The R6400v2 debrick guide has instructions how to use TFTP or (usually easier) NMRPFlash.
See second post in this thread: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=316399

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong builds, are so old now that they have more known unpatched and currently exploited security issues than a fist-full of rice, each grain being an unpatched CVE.

And with that, welcome to our community Wink

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
SomethingStupid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I resolved the issue by using a USB to TTL cable and Prolific 3.3.2 (2008) drivers as it was a cheap Chinese cable which I believe was being blocked when using default 2021 driver, discovered that the when upgrading from Kong old build to latest Beta that the Reset Button option (new) is Disabled by default...

Thank you for your help, being using Kong firmware for many years so hard to come off it, router is about 8-9 years old and runs fine on Kong so will continue on.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
SomethingStupid wrote:
I resolved the issue by using a USB to TTL cable and Prolific 3.3.2 (2008) drivers as it was a cheap Chinese cable which I believe was being blocked when using default 2021 driver

Yep its blocked with any newer drivers than a specific 2008 version because its a pirated dongle. You can install the new drivers also, but some modifications required to driver install files, Google is your friend. I know this cause I fell for the same scammer, except, Amazon FTW I got my money back.

SomethingStupid wrote:
discovered that the when upgrading from Kong old build to latest Beta that the Reset Button option (new) is Disabled by default...

It is not, its should ever happen unless user makes it happen.
After upgrade anyway, you need to just login via ssh and issue nvram erase && reboot to ensure this type of gremlins dont happen.

SomethingStupid wrote:
Thank you for your help, being using Kong firmware for many years so hard to come off it, router is about 8-9 years old and runs fine on Kong so will continue on.

Enjoy your unpatched security issues, consider yourself warned.

Re: Kong builds support, while some of us may be happy to chime in, 3rd party firmware are not supported here generally speaking.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
There were some builds where the reset button was broken across the board, and there were still some lingering devices where it was still broken, not a new issue:

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/search?q=reset+button&noquickjump=1&changeset=on

Granted, it could be user error here, or bunk nvram corruption from the <Kong> build, and doing a hard reset is advisable, but neither my R7000P nor my R7800 have had a hard reset or reset of any kind (except when RB mode testing bootlooped my R7000P), and both were initially flashed with 40270M <Kong> builds. There is a way to overcome nvram variable changes that doesn't cause as much issue as most people have, but I should consider with all of the variable names that have changed, etc. to do a hard reset.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: