Question on limiting bandwidth allocation per device

markLopez9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:37    Post subject: Question on limiting bandwidth allocation per device Reply with quote
I need to allocate fixed speeds to certain devices connecting to my router so they don't consume all of the available bandwidth. My question is/are:
    1. If I use Manual instead of the other options in QoS, will that limit the speed of a specific device regardless of network utilization or will that be effective only when other devices with a higher priority are actually using the network link?
    2. If the QoS option will not work that way, is there another feature in DD-WRT which I could use? If there is, can you point me to the right direction?

Thanks.
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you read:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service
markLopez9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
Have you read:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service

Yes. It does not mention anything about the Manual option, which is why I opted to ask.
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks, so if I understand your question correctly, then:

1. From my experience yes, it will always limit the device to that speed. It may have changed since I was using QOS, but that was my experience
2. If you did not find another way in the wiki, then you are limited in options. From my understanding you essentially want the priorities option. If you want to set this up manually, you would have to spend the time recreating the priority queues and how they are serviced, which is waay more effort on dd-wrt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: