[SOLVED] No internet when changing modems...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
MoreBloodWine
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have attention span issues and called my ISP, waiting now. But I have a suspsicion my dedicated IP may be locked to my old modem. If that's a thing which he's now checking on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
This can be marked as closed and/or solved by an admin. It weirdly enough or even not weirdly enough, was just the provisioning of my dedicated IP being stuck to the old modem. So everything is good to go and I'm fully updated for 8 10 22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I go with my general posting habits, I'll see everybody again in about 2 years. If I run into an issue in any event.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just had to come back and say I'm finally glad somebody actually decided to add line deletion for services.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
MoreBloodWine wrote:
I have attention span issues and called my ISP, waiting now. But I have a suspsicion my dedicated IP may be locked to my old modem. If that's a thing which he's now checking on. This can be marked as closed and/or solved by an admin. It weirdly enough or even not weirdly enough, was just the provisioning of my dedicated IP being stuck to the old modem. So everything is good to go and I'm fully updated for 8 10 22

I kind of figured that is what it was after you mentioned modem and not router from ISP (although it can apply to both when a dedicated IP is provisioned). Thanks for the update, glad it is resolved.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
MoreBloodWine
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
MoreBloodWine wrote:
I have attention span issues and called my ISP, waiting now. But I have a suspsicion my dedicated IP may be locked to my old modem. If that's a thing which he's now checking on. This can be marked as closed and/or solved by an admin. It weirdly enough or even not weirdly enough, was just the provisioning of my dedicated IP being stuck to the old modem. So everything is good to go and I'm fully updated for 8 10 22

I kind of figured that is what it was after you mentioned modem and not router from ISP (although it can apply to both when a dedicated IP is provisioned). Thanks for the update, glad it is resolved.
ne too and thx again, one sm point of note. Not that it really matters now, he did say that should have been automatic and why it hadn't been previously thought of right away, and it took me to do it lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Marked as solved.

This morning, I was going to suggest you clone the old modem MAC address in the DD-WRT router, but then read you had solved it. Glad you solved it, even if it was a bit like pulling teeth at first.

See you in two years then.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
MoreBloodWine
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Marked as solved.

This morning, I was going to suggest you clone the old modem MAC address in the DD-WRT router, but then read you had solved it. Glad you solved it, even if it was a bit like pulling teeth at first.

See you in two years then.

One quick question as food for thought, and I may stick around to deal w something else I forgot about. YAMON. Which last I looked, will try again. But didn't want to install.

But food for thought. Have web upgrades ever been discussed via the ddwrt admon area. Or showing available DLs for our respective modems based on current installs via admin which let us dl to our systems from within our routers, if you follow me.

But I suspect that means someone actually maintaining the DB that caused our headache. Which I'd step up for is I'm just managing files.

I'd sign a formal agreement if needed.

Ty.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is easyddup available to keep up with new releases, although I think there has to be some manual editing or other intervention for it to poll the correct device files - @yoyoma2 can confirm or further explain.

Sticky: easyddup a simple upgrade/downgrade utility

The router database situation is a well-discussed or well-decried point. It has always been the policy after an initial bring-to-the-now update that it only gets updated when a stable across the board build has been determined. This is a tedious task to accomplish, and I have always been of the position of just having it dynamically update to the past 5-10 builds released, but not my decision to make on that.

----------------------
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
The utility is already there written by @yoyoma2 see:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=322503

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Virtual hockey stick clink with you, sir @egc. I just posted about that as well as the router database woes CoolWink

----------------------
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Virtual hockey stick clink with you, sir @egc. I just posted about that as well as the router database woes CoolWink

You beat me again Wink

The problem is indeed the router database Sad

Or actually the lack of a stable fork, but that would mean two forks to maintain.

It would be possible if we had a small set of routers to maintain and test but we have not, the strength of so many supported routers is also the weakness.

We recently saw that with DNSMasq on K2.6 which was apparently broken since more than 9 months Sad

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ive already annoyed our fearless leader with the router database woes, he would test around 20 devices and update the lot, but obviously hes busy so cant do everything in one go, Im assured this is automated process but needs manual triggering.
If only users would read the disclaimer, if only anyone read anything Wink its quite obvious plastering disclaimers and repeating ad-nauseam doesnt work.

router database wrote:
DISCLAIMER

This database may not have up-to-date information and may even recommend a build which might cause issues. As such, you should check the device specific forum (Broadcom, Atheros, MediaTek, etc.) first before flashing any build recommended in this database. There you will find build specific topics that discuss any issues with a particular build/release. For more up-to-date firmware files, please visit the firmware faq.

YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN FRIENDLY AND FAIR NOTICE 🙂

@MoreBloodWine thanks for the offer, but this updating is locked to company employees.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
MoreBloodWine
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Ive already annoyed our fearless leader with the router database woes, he would test around 20 devices and update the lot, but obviously hes busy so cant do everything in one go, Im assured this is automated process but needs manual triggering.
If only users would read the disclaimer, if only anyone read anything Wink its quite obvious plastering disclaimers and repeating ad-nauseam doesnt work.

router database wrote:
DISCLAIMER

This database may not have up-to-date information and may even recommend a build which might cause issues. As such, you should check the device specific forum (Broadcom, Atheros, MediaTek, etc.) first before flashing any build recommended in this database. There you will find build specific topics that discuss any issues with a particular build/release. For more up-to-date firmware files, please visit the firmware faq.

YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN FRIENDLY AND FAIR NOTICE 🙂

@MoreBloodWine thanks for the offer, but this updating is locked to company employees.
Ok, so if maintaining is the issue and I said I'd basically sign legal. What's the deal, I'm literally home 247 day trading crypto. But the fact I have far n few between issues it's whatever to me. But u have the offer...

That said, the fact I come here maybe once every few yrs if not dealing w yamon. Ehh, I forget where I was going w this but point is u have an offer to help maintain w me signing legal, if the all binding power of the law isn't enough. Then that begs more questions I'm leaving alone. Have a nice day gentleman.

But if one big important question is or I should say issue is staffing to maintain the database. That ideally you would think you guys would want to hire more people even if I did work pro Bono with a legal document, but hey... each to their own.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
As a final thought process, before dealing with usage tracking. If everything for the most part is automatic with a simple manual trigger for the router db downloads as someone said. Then let me ask you this question; Why has nobody set that up on a Cron job yet for say every 30 days at x time ?

Navigation

Jump to: