Help installing DD-WRT on UAP-AC-LR

josh4trunks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:12    Post subject: Help installing DD-WRT on UAP-AC-LR Reply with quote
Hello, I was trying to install the latest DD-WRT on a UAP-AC-LR I just purchased. I have done this before to another UAP-AC-LR that I installed at my parents home back in 2016 and I bought a license for. The unit I purchased seems to be running a very recent UAP Firmware (BZ.6.0.21) from 2 months ago, so I think all of the standard methods to install alternative firmware will not work.

I tried using the various DDWRT instructions and got the following errors.
Code:
/tmp/flash-upgrade.bin
/tmp/flash-upgrade.bin: line 6: syntax error: unexpected word (expecting ")")

/tmp/flash-upgrade_bin.bin
SPI Clock 0x00000246
sh: can't create /proc/ubnthal/.uf: nonexistent directory
Could not open mtd device: kernel
Can't open device for writing!

mtd -f write flash-upgrade.bin kernel0 && mtd -f write flash-upgrade.bin kernel1
-ash: mtd: not found

Based on this OpenWrt article, I think normal TFTP may also not work.
https://openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/unifi_ap

I'm thinking my only option is to use a USB to Serial cable to flash an alternative firmware in U-Boot as described in the OpenWrt link. The additional complication I have is the UAP-AC-LR does not have screws, so I need to use a heat gun to melt the glue to remove the cover. I can then hopefully identify the serial ports, and possibly need to solder to them.
So, I think I have a possible solution, but I really would prefer not to start taking apart the cover if there is a way to get the "flash-upgrade.bin" to work.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
josh4trunks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, I was able to get it to work!

So if anyone else is in a similar situation you can try TFTP using an older version of the official firmware (3.7.58) as described here.
https://openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/unifiac

Once in the older version of the firmware, 'mtd' was available so I could flash DDWRT that way, then upgrade to the latest version.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you try the methods described on http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/08-10-2022-r49677/ubnt_UAP-AC-LR/

If those dont work then sure, likely the newer firmware is to prevent such hacks to workaround it. With older firmware the described methods should work.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ubiquiti Devices All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: