Configuration repository for users to upload their examples

fox95
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 15:24    Post subject: Configuration repository for users to upload their examples Reply with quote
Would it make sense to have a repository on this forum where users could upload their router configurations so others may use them as examples or start files?

A database that would keep track of firmware version, router type/model, and 100 word description of the config and its intent purpose/layout.

It seems it might save a lot of forum posts/space/clutter from repetitive questions.

So if a user has a known good working configuration for model X router and left all the passwords blank and ip addresses out of it he could upload it and novice users could download it and quickly see how to configure their router without asking the novice questions.

just a thought.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
We have a wiki. It may not be very well-maintained, but we have a wiki. There are also stickies and references throughout the forum. I personally have a plethora of wiki article edits on my to-do list, and would be willing to divvy up the work with the right people. You aren't suggesting anything new, this has been asked about and discussed before - nicely and not-so-nicely. As an FYI, between the in-firmware help files and all of the other resources, there is more than enough information available. Making it a perfect scenario is a challenge that one person cannot accomplish. As our illustrious webUI expert has said, "many hands make hard work light", which is an attribution to an old English proverb first recorded in English in the early 1300s in a knightly romance known as Sir Bevis of Hampton. Of course, there is also the converse of this proverb which correctly identifies the current situation in this community, and that is, "too many cooks spoil the broth." Nothing personal against anyone, but we have too many people, including myself, who do not have a 100% grasp on what they need to understand to properly curate information for documentation and it makes working with other people really difficult. There is a whole lot of information in wikis that is completely irrelevant, and what I've seen is it is there to circumvent any interaction with this forum or ongoing firmware development. Sorry, but there is no quick, easy solution, and I wish there was.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I understand your question, actually almost all information is there but it is scattered around the forum.
In an ideal world all the information should be condensed/referenced in the wiki's but it is not because of lack of maintainers Sad

So the information is there but not always easily findable and that will stay that way until people with lots of free time, some knowledge and fluent in English will stand up to that task.

As I am not a native speaker I am excused Wink

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
GitHub exists, a forum is hardly the place to host this, or even a wiki.

Someone needs to take ownership of this side project and maintain and support it, and then set limits.

Some users would want example configs of what is likely not going to be included, perhaps other scenarios to consider.

100 words would likely be too much already, consider you have 5 to 7 seconds on average before a user will move along.

GitHub/Gitlab or similar are ideal, flexible offer wikis/repositories can hold the different configs etc, issues/pull requests submitted etc.

But to your comments about same questions over and over.

Those 5 to 7 seconds to capture a user or lose the user, what we can do is minimize the clutter and make information clearly and simply accessible in a succinct manner, but if people read it or research it, you will find this a ratio of 100:1, 100 dont 1 will.

Forums already have too much information and way too much clutter and good information is often not made the focus of thread xyz and lost in pages.

Hence I suggest outside resources one can control 100%

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only BrainSlayer and his official site admin staff have any say-so regarding official resources. I could request to have all but specific wiki accounts locked out permanently, white tornado the thing with properly curated information, but that would be looked on in a not-so-friendly-or-perfect light. The wiki was established so the community-at-large could give back and provide meaningful contributions, but it is true that it is not well-regulated and there is no control over it. There are many resources of information on the internet that are not quite accurate as well. I could add all of the articles (which is about 90% of the current official wiki that have been edited for conformity and uniformity as well as information pulled from other resources) to my github, but that is not an official resource (again, certain light that is not conducive to anything positive in everyone's hearts and minds in the community, IOW nobody wants a power-hungry, authoritarian megalomaniac involved) - and official resources are the ideal goal of this community, are they not? I mean, are we going to start quoting reddit threads, and other things on the internet-at-large ad nauseum infinitum? I really do not think that is what the OP is requesting here.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: