R8500 v3.0-r49626 No WIFI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
fox95
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 23:42    Post subject: R8500 v3.0-r49626 No WIFI Reply with quote
there is no wifi being broadcast for any of the interfaces.

no other devices in my house can see wifi on the R8500

SSID broadcast is set to Enable.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not good at skimming posts/threads and posting specific how-to-fix from the following, but these threads all connect to a known issue with the R8500 and wifi. Hopefully, you can find a fix in the linked information I have provided for you.

Need help with Netgear R8500 wifi problems

Help - Netgear R8500 No WiFi in DD-WRT

r8500 no wi fi

Netgear R8500 No WiFi Issue

[SOLVED]Wifi SSID not transmitting after a firmware upgrade

How to Fix R8500 DD-WRT *NOT SAVING* settings

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
fox95
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I'm not good at skimming posts/threads and posting specific how-to-fix from the following, but these threads all connect to a known issue with the R8500 and wifi. Hopefully, you can find a fix in the linked information I have provided for you.

Need help with Netgear R8500 wifi problems

Help - Netgear R8500 No WiFi in DD-WRT

r8500 no wi fi

Netgear R8500 No WiFi Issue

[SOLVED]Wifi SSID not transmitting after a firmware upgrade

How to Fix R8500 DD-WRT *NOT SAVING* settings

i don't know why i dont get those results, i did type many searches on the forum.

i feel like i should just throw this thing in the trash.

do you have a suggestion for another router?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used web search, the forum search function can be tricky. The R8500 is known for issues and hardware failures - or the appearance of these failures due to the issues in the linked threads. I may or may not have the tenacity to take your R8500 off your hands to pick up where you're going to leave off if you toss it, but that is an option after you've switched up. Currently, the most recommended routers are the R7800/XR500, and the R9000/XR700 - but the latter have some inherent design / how they are put together flaws that eventually result in wifi hardware failing, so I don't recommend them unless you have the time to address the issues before you put either in service. The R7800/XR500 are fairly solid routers, even with some issues folks have had that seem to be self-inflicted or luck-of-the-draw. As with any supported device or technology in general, there is always a possibility for things to go awry.

----------------------
fox95
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I used web search, the forum search function can be tricky. The R8500 is known for issues and hardware failures - or the appearance of these failures due to the issues in the linked threads. I may or may not have the tenacity to take your R8500 off your hands to pick up where you're going to leave off if you toss it, but that is an option after you've switched up. Currently, the most recommended routers are the R7800/XR500, and the R9000/XR700 - but the latter have some inherent design / how they are put together flaws that eventually result in wifi hardware failing, so I don't recommend them unless you have the time to address the issues before you put either in service. The R7800/XR500 are fairly solid routers, even with some issues folks have had that seem to be self-inflicted or luck-of-the-draw. As with any supported device or technology in general, there is always a possibility for things to go awry.

Tenacity is my best trait.

I have got it to work

I flashed in some old firmware from year 2016 and then the wifi started working.

I then updated to latest and then loaded my backup config and now everything works as expected. Wifi. Vlans etc..

Fwiw. And it may not even matter, but when upgrading back up to the latest after the downgrade the option to reset to defaults after upgrade was not selected

So whoever reads this in the future. Just upgrade it to the latest firmware. Get all your settings how you like and then make a backup of them. And if the wifi disappears then downgrade to some old 3xxxxx version and then upgrade back up to the latest and load your backup settings file.

Im looking for a 7800 now. Wink
fox95
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:

I will have a r6400 that i take out of service and give to you if you had a use for it

If i find a r7800 you can have the r8500. The 8500 is weird and finicky. But i feel like it could be really good for its used price point, if some of the bugs were ironed out.

Thanks for the help.

Oh, another question, on the r8500 the guest wifi (5ghz) in unbridged mode will not assign a ip adresss and cannot be added to the dhcp on the networking tab. It cant be added to any bridges either. I can connect to it. But it assigns a 169.254.x.x Ii address. Or something like that, not sure where it gets those numbers from.

Am i doing something wrong?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should be able to assign a dhcp server under multiple dhcp servers on the networking tab, if memory serves. Whether the VAP is unbridged or assigned to a bridge. It's an order of procedure thing to get it to act right, though, if you assign it to a different bridge (e.g. br1). I think it's create bridge, save, then create vap, save, then assign vap to bridge (?).

----------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: