Archer C7 v2 - Cannot Get Samba working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Superorb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:07    Post subject: Archer C7 v2 - Cannot Get Samba working Reply with quote
I have an external HD connected to my router via USB and I'd like to setup Samba to share the drive across my network. FTP works across all devices no problem, but Samba does not work anywhere. I can see the DD-WRT server on my Win10 laptop in Network section, but I get an error when clicking into it and never see any shares. Other devices can't connect to or see the shares at all. The dd-wrt router is only being used as the samba share so all WAN/DHCP functions have been disabled and I assigned it a static IP from the main internet router. I've attached some screenshots.

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r47000 std (06/28/21)

Sponsor
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mixed reports in the build thread from over a year ago:

DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware -> New Build - 06/28/2021 - r47000

If we go by the current config file for this device, it shows:
Code:
CONFIG_SAMBA3=y @L40
CONFIG_SAMBA=y @L160

Which means it is not using ksmbd and also (probably) means you will have to use //router.ip.address.here/folder if Samba 3.x will work across your client devices and hopefully -not- have to enable SMB1.

FYI: You will probably be told to upgrade to the current release at some point in this thread.

https://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/08-15-2022-r49741/tplink_archer-c7-v2/

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Superorb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
Mixed reports in the build thread from over a year ago:

DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware -> New Build - 06/28/2021 - r47000

If we go by the current config file for this device, it shows:
Code:
CONFIG_SAMBA3=y @L40
CONFIG_SAMBA=y @L160

Which means it is not using ksmbd and also (probably) means you will have to use //router.ip.address.here/folder if Samba 3.x will work across your client devices and hopefully -not- have to enable SMB1.

FYI: You will probably be told to upgrade to the current release at some point in this thread.

https://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/08-15-2022-r49741/tplink_archer-c7-v2/

I'm not sure what most of that means, but I can upgrade. I currently live in Japan but the router was purchased in the US. Does it matter which BIN I flash? I'm not using wifi on the router so I don't need the different channels that may be country specific if that's the only change. Also just upgrade via the web-gui? Thanks.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
What it means is, your router is using the older version of standalone samba which may have some compatibility issues with clients. You should be safe to flash the tplink_archer-c7-v2-US.bin via webUI to upgrade and it may be possible that your issues may not be issues after upgrading. Only one way to know for sure. Plus, there are many packages that have been upgraded, closing possible security holes and vulnerabilities. If after upgrading you continue to have issues, please report back. You may be told to do a reset and reconfigure from scratch to rule out any possible nvram corruption or conflicts.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I second the upgrading (I think the build already was using ksmbd but that was problematic, the last Samba3 build was the last one of 2020, but I could be mistaken)

Furthermore you have different names for the same mount point that could be problematic.

You better first try to set it up without users/passwords so publicly available and only if that works proceed with users/passwords

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Superorb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Upgraded to the latest release and now I can browse the Samba share folders from my Windows PC, but I can't read or write files to the NTFS external hard drive. When I try to open a file, copy a file, or write a file the router crashes and restarts. Can't see anything in the log before it crashes, as it's purged at restart it seems. I did set only 1 share and public read/write access. I did try a small 4gb USB drive formatted to ext4 and I could read from and write to that, though very slowly at under 9MB/s.

ETA: Just tried the original FAT32 1TB drive and it doesn't seem to fully mount. I'm getting the exact same error I got before upgrading and cannot browse the share folder.

ETA2: Enabled FTP and the FAT32 drive I can read/write no problem.

ETA3: Swapped the FAT32 for the NTFS drive and that also works no problem over FTP, and even faster reads of ~15MB/s. I just want Samba working.

Ideas?
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you removed the different names for the same mount point as shown in your picture?

For testing remove the usernames/passwords and use only public read/write

I have several routers (but not yours) with USB sticks most only using ext 2/4 but also a router with an NTFS formatted SSD all working with Samba.
NTFS can be problematic if the volume is not properly unmounted (e.g. with a power loss) so is not the best choice

Some hard drives with external enclosures are not working properly with the USB ports on routers, so start with a known good USB stick

attached my notes maybe they are helpful

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Superorb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I had a huge post and this stupid forum had some error upon posting and it was lost, so I'm not wasting another 40mins writing it all out and testing everything again.

Thanks for the notes. When I upgraded I factory reset and did public and shares as you mentioned.

I formatted a USBdrive with 4 partitions: exFAT, ext2, ext3, and NTFS. I could browse folders for all over SMB, but I couldn't write anything to NTFS. I could write a small image, 6mb, 25mb, and 24mb file no problem to the first 3 partitions. Things got really flaky when trying a 100mb file. Hangs at start, non-completes, and hangs throughout with completion. It's just so flaky and unreliable that it's not worth using like this. All the files I'd move here are videos over 500mb and streaming will be a disaster.

Any more ideas or should I just give up? I just wanted to access files >4gb from my Kodi stick on my TV that won't read NTFS at all. I've wasted so much time on this and it's so frustrating. I'm in Japan and finding a cheap/used PC to share a hard drive is next to impossible here so this router was my last ditch effort to get it working. Thanks for your help.
Phil9992
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please first check your power supply amperage, which may be too low.
Besides, I think you could also give a try to r48540, which uses a previous samba server version.
Superorb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Phil9992 wrote:
Besides, I think you could also give a try to r48540, which uses a previous samba server version.

Too low for a USB thumb drive? I can't imagine that that's drawing too much power. I'm using the factory brick that came with the router and wifi radios are both disabled. 12v@2.5a the same as the router has printed on the bottom. I'll try r48540. Thanks.

ETA: Downgraded to r48540 and same problem using a USB drive and a hard drive. I can copy data but it hangs repeatedly or fails. Also getting router crashes/reboots now.
Phil9992
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Superorb wrote:
Phil9992 wrote:

Too low for a USB thumb drive? I can't imagine that that's drawing too much power. I'm using the factory brick that came with the router and wifi radios are both disabled. 12v@2.5a the same as the router has printed on the bottom. I'll try r48540. Thanks.

ETA: Downgraded to r48540 and same problem using a USB drive and a hard drive. I can copy data but it hangs repeatedly or fails. Also getting router crashes/reboots now.

Haven't got the same router as yours, mine is loaded with dd-wrt r48540. Shared volume is a large NTFS formatted USB stick. Just tried to copy a 2GB file, no speed comparison with a good dedicated NAS, but no problem.

What is strange is crash and reboot, that makes me think of hardware failure ; power supplies and routers also die. Would you have another power supply to check ?
Superorb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Phil9992 wrote:

Haven't got the same router as yours, mine is loaded with dd-wrt r48540. Shared volume is a large NTFS formatted USB stick. Just tried to copy a 2GB file, no speed comparison with a good dedicated NAS, but no problem.

What is strange is crash and reboot, that makes me think of hardware failure ; power supplies and routers also die. Would you have another power supply to check ?

It only crashes and reboots for NTFS partitions while trying to read or write. The 3 other partitions on the same USBstick never crash and restart, just fail or hang. I don't think it's a power issue, as USBsticks draw very little power.

Does the stock router ROM have samba built in? That's one way to test. IF so, what's the process from dd-wrt->stock?
Phil9992
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Superorb wrote:
Phil9992 wrote:

It only crashes and reboots for NTFS partitions while trying to read or write. The 3 other partitions on the same USBstick never crash and restart, just fail or hang. I don't think it's a power issue, as USBsticks draw very little power.

Does the stock router ROM have samba built in? That's one way to test. IF so, what's the process from dd-wrt->stock?

Not clear from user guide, but I think stock ROM has got an embedded samba server. There is a way to go back to stock for Archer C7 V2, but I don't know the procedure.
Superorb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Phil9992 wrote:

Not clear from user guide, but I think stock ROM has got an embedded samba server. There is a way to go back to stock for Archer C7 V2, but I don't know the procedure.

Thanks for your help.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
What version DD-WRT are you using? It should be the latest version and reset to factory default and reconfigure from scratch and also clear browser cache with CTRL+F5

Latest DD-WRT samba works fine, it has a known issue but doesn't affect functionality.

http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/08-15-2022-r49741/

You should upgrade reset to defaults (to oust gremlins) and reconfigure from scratch
Also Clear browser cache CTRL + F5

See screenshot -> https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=51912 that setup nothing fancy works everywhere on my LAN with any devices.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: