Asus RT-AC68U Upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jissa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:47    Post subject: Asus RT-AC68U Upgrade Reply with quote
I currently have a RT-AC68U router that is running dd-wrt DD-WRT v3.0. I am trying to upgrade it to the latest version of dd-wrt but when I look under the downloads for a new version for that router https://dd-wrt.com/support/other-downloads/?path=betas%2F2022%2F07-22-2022-r49544%2Fasus-rt-ac68u%2F all I find is a trx file which is the file to upgrade from ASUS firmware to DD-WRT. I have a script that dumps all nvram parameters to a file so that I can restore the nvram to any new firmware.

What is the best way to upgrade my router? I would rather not go back to the original firmware, then update to the new version. I am worried that Asus original firmware would not let me upgrade to dd-wrt.

Can I install the generic broadcom_k3x firmware on this router? which size can I install big or mega. What feature do I lose if I use the generic firmware. If I can install this firmware, then I can easily upgrade to newer bin files.

All help is appreciated.
Sponsor
Ger482
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I sent you the link to download the latest file

asus_rt-ac68u-firmware.trx
the file you found is the correct update for dd-wrt
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
You flash the asus_rt-ac68u-firmware.trx file from your current DD-WRT webUI; if that does not work,
put the router in recovery mode and flash the asus_rt-ac68u-firmware.trx file from the recovery web
interface or use the Asus Firmware Restoration Utility Version 2.1.0.2
or Asus Firmware Restoration Utility Version 2.1.0.3.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC68U

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same exact router

currently running http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/07-27-2022-r49567/asus-rt-ac68u/asus_rt-ac68u-firmware.trx

If your current build is old, after upgrade via web UI you will need to reset it to defaults and reconfigure manually, also clear browser cache with CTRL+F5

Unless something goes wrong, which I highly doubt, you DO NOT have to use the Asus restoration utility, I've had mine for several years and I always use to flash via web interface, even from stock (early 2019 stock build) to DD-WRT, recently however I switched to CLI flash upgrades just to monitor the flash blocks usage. To do this, I login into router via SSH then download the firmware to /tmp and flash as follows, I use HTTPS curl method.

HTTP wget
Code:
cd /tmp && wget http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/07-27-2022-r49567/asus-rt-ac68u/asus_rt-ac68u-firmware.trx -O a.trx && write a.trx linux

HTTPS curl
Code:
cd /tmp && curl https://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/07-27-2022-r49567/asus-rt-ac68u/asus_rt-ac68u-firmware.trx --output a.trx && write a.trx linux

If it goes well it should type reboot and press enter.

If your current firmware is too old or you notice issues that clearing cache with CTRL+F5, wont fix, login via terminal again and issue nvram erase && reboot and reconfigure from scratch.

No problems whatsoever either method and no Asus recovery ever needed. Or flash via Web interface see screenshot

YOU DO NOT have to go back to official, you will definitely not be able to upgrade to dd-wrt it will not let you. Do NOT flash anything else but the link I posted.

Capture.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.13 KB
 Viewed:  854 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: