[FIXED][SPLIT] Wrong HDD capacity reported

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would say it's unbelievable but it's pretty believable and true.
DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Sponsor
the-joker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
So for those not following the game, DD-WRT ksmbd wasnt synced with upstream exactly.

The reason is because there were some "issues and bugs" unspecified. So apparently we are going to have another stab at syncing and then, it will fall down to beta testers with access to such builds to retest.

This probably means me, myself and I.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

the-joker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
@FireStorm@

Please dont pollute upstream report with offtopic noise regarding your smartTV, its really bad form.

DD-WRT now had mDNS/Avahi which you likely need to enable and configure according to your setup, this will be the way to go forward. You need to goto Services TAB and scroll to bottom.

If that doesn't work you should consider a smartTV firmware upgrade, which you should do anyway no matter what.

For mDNS related discussions see https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=331904
For mDNS config see https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=50947 which is on the mDNS sticky thread.

See attachment.

Capture.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.2 KB
 Viewed:  1190 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

the-joker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
In good short order the issue is fixed with commit https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/49776

For future reference, we should not in first instance report any issues with ksmbd upstream, because our ksmbd source is divergent and not in sync by a long shot.

The reason why its not in sync is due to backporting issues as I understand it, so its not a trivial job to keep the sources in sync.

Marking this issue as solved now.

Attaching proof my 500GB drive is now not 1.81TB, and further will be testing with other FS.

Capture.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.29 KB
 Viewed:  1180 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

FireStorm@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
@FireStorm@

Please dont pollute upstream report with offtopic noise regarding your smartTV, its really bad form.

DD-WRT now had mDNS/Avahi which you likely need to enable and configure according to your setup, this will be the way to go forward. You need to goto Services TAB and scroll to bottom.

If that doesn't work you should consider a smartTV firmware upgrade, which you should do anyway no matter what.

For mDNS related discussions see https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=331904
For mDNS config see https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=50947 which is on the mDNS sticky thread.

See attachment.

First of all, thank you for your effort. If I read the comments in my bug report, it is pretty clear that without u we would not have found the root of the issue. Thanks for that.

Regarding the problem with Android / SmartTV I did not mean to make anything bad. Sometimes it feels like I am lost in all those things. For you guys it is pretty clear where and what to report, for me as an end-user I am happy being able to flash a router and make some small configs, everything beyond that is simply too much for me, where obviously my knowledge ends yours even starts... So I hope you may understand the limits.

I am truly a big fand of dd-wrt. Used it first with the Linksys WRT54GL and was always happy, but the bugs / problems with the hard disk size, Android / SmartTV thing makes it harder and I don't want to give up on my beloved dd-wrt thing. Hope u understand.

Last edited by FireStorm@ on Fri Aug 19, 2022 20:46; edited 1 time in total
FireStorm@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's me again.

mDNS/Avahi made the trick my SmartTV/Android can find my samba file server. Juhuuu
the-joker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your kind words it was a general group effort after all that got us there in the end, so I cant take all the credit.

FireStorm@ wrote:
For your guys it is pretty clear where and what to report, for me an end-user I am happy being able to flash a router and make some small configs, everything beyond that is simply too much for me, where obviously my knowledge ends yours even starts... So I hope you may understand the limits

I understand this to a point and after that point -- it boils down to a personal lack of interest, curiosity and motivation to improve oneself. I use to be fearful of command lines and was overwhelmed easily and was quite unsure of myself, but like puberty that became history never to repeat itself. mind Im as lazy as the next person so...

You had some help and even my test report included screenshots and more details as one would normally expect from a semi sane minimal report, I did this as an example to you, yet you didn't click, so your admitted limits are artificial IMO Wink

It is my hope at least you learned something that you will apply in future.

The recipe for success is always read twice as much as you type.

blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great! One bug fixed. mDNS configuration not a bug. The problem remains NTFS a Windows chkdisk will be required.

Paragon had intended to release open source utilities such as chkntfs on Linux NTFS3 github, that was two years ago.
ntfs-3g ntfsfix can remove "dirty" flag to check disk after reboot but it cannot fix all problems and not a replacement.

"ntfsfix is a utility that fixes some common NTFS problems. ntfsfix is NOT a Linux version of chkdsk. It only repairs
some fundamental NTFS inconsistencies, resets the NTFS journal file and schedules an NTFS consistency check for
the first boot into Windows." So if NTFS drive really has errors, removing check flag will surely shoot your foot off.

Use ext4, a native linux file system. Use a dedicated drive for the router. Do not unplug for other tasks usage or OS.
Never have to worry about a chkdsk after power, reboot, or any situation power failure, kernel lockup or NTFS3 bug.

Read or write ext4 in Windows? https://www.paragon-software.com/home/linuxfs-windows/#
The free alternatives: https://www.acc.umu.se/~bosse/ and http://www.fs-driver.org/ YMMV.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good news is that ksmbd and ksmbd-tools should now be in sync with upstream and possibly some added patches for local use (I didn't compare to gnat's ass accuracy with all of the correspondence, notes, etc., just going by the commits after the one referenced above). Of course, we will still have to verify completely that this issue and bug is squashed for good in DD-WRT in the next public release. Other fish to fry, be well everyone.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
the-joker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its not in sync and wont be since upstream supports only kernel 5.4 as minimum due to the kernel API it uses does not exist in earlier kernels. But several updates and fixes are going in DD-WRT side, for select portions only that dont rely on the newer API.

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Correction: *more in sync... comparison to https://github.com/cifsd-team/ksmbd/commits/master or side-by-side diffs of both trees would be more accurate to differentiate. While there was a commit to fix compile with Linux 5.4, I have no knowledge of this package being kernel-specific. EDIT: FreshTomato is using wsdd2, *not* ksmbd. Sorry for this gross error and mix-up on my part.

Quote:
Changeset 49776

Timestamp: Aug 19, 2022, 9:32:57 AM (11 hours ago)
Author: brainslayer

Quote:
Changeset 49781

Timestamp: Aug 19, 2022, 4:28:42 PM (4 hours ago)

Quote:
Changeset 49782

Timestamp: Aug 19, 2022, 5:20:31 PM (3 hours ago)

Quote:
Changeset 49783

Timestamp: Aug 19, 2022, 5:21:44 PM (3 hours ago)
Message: ksmbd: return STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME error status if share is not configured

----------------------

Last edited by kernel-panic69 on Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:53; edited 1 time in total
the-joker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://github.com/namjaejeon/ksmbd#supported-linux-kernel-versions

FireStorm@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Great! One bug fixed. mDNS configuration not a bug. The problem remains NTFS a Windows chkdisk will be required.

Paragon had intended to release open source utilities such as chkntfs on Linux NTFS3 github, that was two years ago.
ntfs-3g ntfsfix can remove "dirty" flag to check disk after reboot but it cannot fix all problems and not a replacement.

"ntfsfix is a utility that fixes some common NTFS problems. ntfsfix is NOT a Linux version of chkdsk. It only repairs
some fundamental NTFS inconsistencies, resets the NTFS journal file and schedules an NTFS consistency check for
the first boot into Windows." So if NTFS drive really has errors, removing check flag will surely shoot your foot off.

Use ext4, a native linux file system. Use a dedicated drive for the router. Do not unplug for other tasks usage or OS.
Never have to worry about a chkdsk after power, reboot, or any situation power failure, kernel lockup or NTFS3 bug.

Read or write ext4 in Windows? https://www.paragon-software.com/home/linuxfs-windows/#
The free alternatives: https://www.acc.umu.se/~bosse/ and http://www.fs-driver.org/ YMMV.

Yeah I am totally happy, that at least some bugs were fixed. Regarding the NTFS chkdsik issue yeah it reamins, although, in past I never had such problem, it came with an firmware update. So maybe there is another bug simply.

Your advice to switch to ext4 is a good one. Nevertheless, I (no I am not stubborn) won't do that as I truly believe there is something else as mentioned above, in past I have used ntfs and several firmware updates for at least 6 months and never had an issue with chkdsk. It occured after a firmware update, so something must have been changed.

by the way I use the command chkdsk /f which takes only a few minutes instead of /r and that ususally does the trick and my router recognise the disk again after a reboot.

Quote:
the-joker wrote:

I understand this to a point and after that point -- it boils down to a personal lack of interest, curiosity and motivation to improve oneself. I use to be fearful of command lines and was overwhelmed easily and was quite unsure of myself, but like puberty that became history never to repeat itself. mind Im as lazy as the next person so...

You had some help and even my test report included screenshots and more details as one would normally expect from a semi sane minimal report, I did this as an example to you, yet you didn't click, so your admitted limits are artificial IMO Wink

I learned definitely something and I really do not want to argue with you, however, if I would be lazy I wouldn't spent so much time/posts and (believe it or not!) I bricked 7 times my router and had to buy a new one cos I played the games "try and see what happens". Nevertheless, again very happy that I had the chance to contribute a little to an improvement and was able to learn something.

Can't wait to update to next firmware.
the-joker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
FireStorm@ wrote:
Yeah I am totally happy, that at least some bugs were fixed. Regarding the NTFS chkdsik issue yeah it reamins, although, in past I never had such problem, it came with an firmware update. So maybe there is another bug simply.

You had your fill of 1 bug which was known and finally fixed, the rest is simply not DD-WRT related and there is no way to solve DD-WRT side since the NTFS anything fixes doesn't exist without ntfsfix or similar which is a dependency of NTFS-3G and not NTFS3 at this time. But gremlins happen, without actual evidence we cant say for sure what happened to cause the drive to be in a bad state. But I posted my own findings in detail which is a minimal report should be done.

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
https://github.com/namjaejeon/ksmbd#supported-linux-kernel-versions

cifsd: change the minimum supported kernel version to v5.4

It was originally 4.1.x Wink Back-porting is a well-known thing in the Linux developer community. Sorry if my information retention skills are lacking Rolling Eyes

----------------------
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: