[FIXED][SPLIT] Wrong HDD capacity reported

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
FireStorm@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
OK tested, So The size thing is real, my 500GB Drive shows up as 1.81TB thank you very much ksmbd for making my drive bigger. This happens only when share is mapped to a drive, but tbh I never saw any value in mapping samba shares to a drive letter, Im quite happy with the Networking folders Windows side, and if anything needs mounting I do it directly on the target applications like VLC.

Anyway HDD size bug is real via kmsbd so bug needs to be reported upstream. (Im looking at the op)

As for share NOT showing up on Android, I guess this depends on Android, app or user?

On my android File manager it shows up just fine on auto detect, VLC side, not so much even though all my other shares show up fine, but this is a VLC bug and its a long standing bug (I'm a beta tester), the trick is to add your share manually, and VLC side its an interesting way to do it, you need to add any share as a favorite and edit that share with correct IP blablabla and voilla.

Laptop side Linux OS, no issues, share available and visible and works, Can't test on SmartTV cause my TV doent pretend to be smart, it knows its just a TV and is very happy being just a TV and doesn't want to be smart either, Ill assume those last parts, I dont have conversations with the TV Wink.

Media Center side (KODI) running on my home grown custom rolled distro Linux based, Share appears just fine and is obviously working.

Only real issue is the HDD size when share is mapped to a letter, the rest, works and keeps working.

I dont particularly think the DD-WRT drive detection via ntfs3 is all that, but it works.

Attached is my basic test config.

Code:
~# mount
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/sda1 type ntfs3 (rw,noatime,nls=utf8,nodiratime)

There were some issues which I have corrected by fixing it directly connected to a Windows machine, but appears ntfs3 didn't like my umount /dev/sda1
Code:
 dmesg| grep sda1
[   44.776348]  sda: sda1
[ 2847.648862] Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 786436, lost async page write
[ 2847.657006] Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 786441, lost async page write
[ 2847.665149] Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 786442, lost async page write
[ 2847.673292] Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 786443, lost async page write
[ 2847.681445] Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 786444, lost async page write
[ 2847.689693] Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 786445, lost async page write
[ 2847.697867] Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 786446, lost async page write
[ 2847.697886] Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 786447, lost async page write
[ 2847.697900] Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 786449, lost async page write
[ 2847.697913] Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 786450, lost async page write
[ 2924.431369] Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 19342, lost async page write
[ 2924.439161] Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 19624, lost async page write
[ 2924.446918] Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 19627, lost async page write
[ 2924.454754] Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 19628, lost async page write
[ 2924.462622] Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 20600, lost async page write
[ 2924.470697] Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 2, lost async page write
[ 2924.478364] VFS: Dirty inode writeback failed for block device sda1 (err=-5).

Things to investigate?!
Code:
~# dmesg| grep ksmbd
[ 1622.085093] Out of memory in ksmbd_auth_ntlmv2:476
[ 1623.272589] Out of memory in ksmbd_auth_ntlmv2:476
[ 2846.932092] ksmbd: kill command received
[ 2849.903648] ksmbd: Server reset is in progress, can't start daemon
[ 2850.631429] ksmbd: sock_read failed: -108

Syslog
Code:
Aug 15 20:15:14 Nexus local5.err ksmbd: [ksmbd-worker/5170]: ERROR: Recv() error Invalid input data or parameter [-7]
Aug 15 20:15:14 Nexus local5.err ksmbd: [ksmbd-manager/5169]: ERROR: WARNING: child process exited abnormally: 5170
Aug 15 20:15:14 Nexus local5.err ksmbd: [ksmbd-manager/5169]: ERROR: Fatal IPC error. Terminating. Check dmesg.
Aug 15 20:15:14 Nexus local5.err ksmbd: [ksmbd-manager/5169]: ERROR: can't execute kill 5170: No such process
Aug 15 20:15:14 Nexus local5.info ksmbd: [ksmbd-manager/5169]: INFO: Exiting. Bye!

Aug 15 19:32:38 Nexus local5.err ksmbd: [ksmbd-manager/2763]: ERROR: Can't open `/tmp/ksmbd.subauth': No such file or directory
Aug 15 19:32:38 Nexus local5.info ksmbd: [ksmbd-worker/2764]: INFO: User already exists
Aug 15 19:33:11 Nexus local5.err ksmbd: [ksmbd-worker/2764]: ERROR: Unsupported share info level (write): 2
Aug 15 19:33:11 Nexus local5.err ksmbd: [ksmbd-worker/2764]: ERROR: Unsupported share info level (read): 2

Thank you for taking the time and confirming the bug. Regarding Android & VLC

I would like to point out, that BEFORE Android AND VLC was able to detect the samba folder. So it can not be just an Android bug or VLC. With Android you may use an App such as Xplorer and u can see the device. However, before it used to work with any android version / app etc. I know that cos on my phone I used the standard file manager and had no issues. On my smart TV I can not connect / find it at all as I am not able to install a different app and this is actually a big issue as on my NAS I have plenty of photos / videos... So I can assure you that this issue is not an Android bug, rather has something to do with DD-WRT firmware update, as it worked perfectly before.

For all the other effort u did BIG THANKS AND RESPECT!
Sponsor
FireStorm@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
But /dev/sda so the entire disk should be shown because the master boot record or the GUID partition table is in this area.

FireStorm@ disk shows that the disk has a MBR - so I wonder how that fits with the 2TB limitation.

The hard disk should have a GPT

I guess this only limits if a file is bigger than 2TB? At least for me I had no issues even if it is MBR.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
@FireStorm@ I dont use xplorer, its the default file manager and beta vlc android 11/12 side, and smart tvs are bullcrap, have you tried upgrading its firmware? I cant test smart TVs my tv is dumb and works just fine as do all the shares anywhere but the moon as reported.

Besides the report is about wrong HDD size, confirmed issue ksmbd side when mapping shares to drive letter windows side.

Please get it, its not dd-wrt the fault is 3rd party project not developed by DD-WRT.

Before was before and now is now, the bug needs to be reported upstream, else it wont be fixed.

So big up George Foreman and his grills and KOs. Big up George and his thermal designs for the r9000 heatsinks.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
FireStorm@ wrote:
ho1Aetoo wrote:
But /dev/sda so the entire disk should be shown because the master boot record or the GUID partition table is in this area.

FireStorm@ disk shows that the disk has a MBR - so I wonder how that fits with the 2TB limitation.

The hard disk should have a GPT

I guess this only limits if a file is bigger than 2TB? At least for me I had no issues even if it is MBR.

No depends on the sector size of the hard disk.

with 512 native or 512 emulated 2TB partitions are possible
with 4k native 16TB
Rule of thumb: from a partition/disk size > 2TB you should use GPT.

Your hard disk seems to be a 4kn hard disk, but the list of 4kn hard disks is quite limited.

Most hard disks have 512n or 512e

512 bytes logical/physical
512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I guess we should petition the master wizard to not display the root physical drive partition information (sda) in the webUI?

Actually this would be necessary to keep as is. I have one USB flash in a router which has no partitions and it is quite literally mounted as /dev/sda. Not sda1. Also, we have drives on my work servers which are partition-less and mounted in the same way (sda, sdb, etc) but they are LVM drives.

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r53562
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r53562

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port.

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
lexridge wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I guess we should petition the master wizard to not display the root physical drive partition information (sda) in the webUI?

Actually this would be necessary to keep as is. I have one USB flash in a router which has no partitions and it is quite literally mounted as /dev/sda. Not sda1. Also, we have drives on my work servers which are partition-less and mounted in the same way (sda, sdb, etc) but they are LVM drives.

The implicit (SIC) was completely missed. Sorry my sarcasm doesn't easily translate well. Perhaps it was the missing Rolling Eyes Razz

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Apparently I didn't absorb enough caffeine this morning. Went right over my head haha. Very Happy

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r53562
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r53562

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port.

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
FireStorm@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
@FireStorm@ I dont use xplorer, its the default file manager and beta vlc android 11/12 side, and smart tvs are bullcrap, have you tried upgrading its firmware? I cant test smart TVs my tv is dumb and works just fine as do all the shares anywhere but the moon as reported.

Besides the report is about wrong HDD size, confirmed issue ksmbd side when mapping shares to drive letter windows side.

Please get it, its not dd-wrt the fault is 3rd party project not developed by DD-WRT.

Before was before and now is now, the bug needs to be reported upstream, else it wont be fixed.

So big up George Foreman and his grills and KOs. Big up George and his thermal designs for the r9000 heatsinks.

Am I wrong, but I think u mentioned that u have reported it, haven't u? I hope it gets fixed soon.
the-joker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't reported anything and never mentioned otherwise I only tested to see what was reproducible, if you make initial report (only about wrong size and details on how to reproduce upstream) with relevant information and link back to this thread I may join in.
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

FireStorm@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you please send me the link where to report, I will do it.
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
The links already been kindly provided earlier in this thread see this post.

You are looking for ksmbd/issues not ksmd-tools/issues

You may want to mention the commit upstream that changed sector size https://github.com/cifsd-team/ksmbd/commit/cca2e29823daf5d4d91c07c43117339865461f7d commit which changed how sector_size is handled

You should mention also that the issue with wrong disk size is only visible when the share is mapped to network drive (with a letter e.g. ZSmile

Soon as youre done with a proper report upstream, paste the issue link here, when I have time I will offer my earlier evidence.

Thanks in advance.

FireStorm@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
The links already been kindly provided earlier in this thread see this post.

You are looking for ksmbd/issues not ksmd-tools/issues

You may want to mention the commit upstream that changed sector size https://github.com/cifsd-team/ksmbd/commit/cca2e29823daf5d4d91c07c43117339865461f7d commit which changed how sector_size is handled

You should mention also that the issue with wrong disk size is only visible when the share is mapped to network drive (with a letter e.g. ZSmile

Soon as youre done with a proper report upstream, paste the issue link here, when I have time I will offer my earlier evidence.

Thanks in advance.

I did and I hope it was good enough for my first post:

https://github.com/cifsd-team/ksmbd/issues/577
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some congratulations are in order, report is in right place, as for good enough, I guess it's their fault for not having proper issue templates.

I'll try to post my screenshots ASAP and other corroborating evidence to try and avoid them dismissing that report as nonsense or ignoring it.

FireStorm@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Some congratulations are in order, report is in right place, as for good enough, I guess it's their fault for not having proper issue templates.

I'll try to post my screenshots ASAP and other corroborating evidence to try and avoid them dismissing that report as nonsense or ignoring it.

Thank you. It seems that they have problems to reproduce it, may I ask u to step in and maybe provide some necessary information?
FireStorm@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
@the-joker

Thank you, I have just seen your comment. Thx!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: