Linksys WRT3200ACM build Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
TNCajunJoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 16:50    Post subject: Linksys WRT3200ACM build Advice Reply with quote
All
I would like to ask for some assistance with determining the optimal (relatively stable) build for a WRT3200ACM.

I Know and understand the typical approach and common answer is to check the forum and do the research. Which I have been doing, have seen the many different posts, comments, reports, etc. However unfortunalty for me the research has left me a bit more bewildere / confused then when I started.

So I hope you all can help me out a bit to get to the right path. I don't mind putting in the work and the time to research answers myself, just ask for some direct to the point clarification when the info is confusing.
A few things to consider.
1. I realize the WRT3200ACM is regarded by many as not the best platform / router to be using. Unfortunately its what I have to work with at the moment.
2. Currently running v3.0-r39290 std (03/26/19) fairly stable.
3. Looking for what build would be best or the least problematic overall for the following:

A.) ESP32 device connectivity

B.) Running PIA VPN (more important than ESP32 connectivity

C.) Stable wifi

D.) Ability to split tunnel VPN allowing some devices to go straight out bypassing VPN. (This.is needed to allow laptop.
running software VPN required by my employer to allow me to connect to work without the issues of VPN on top of VPN.

E.) Ability to allow certain inbound ports that are not affected by VPN. Allowing for example connectivity to from outside my home to a rPi or Arduino being used to mess around with different systems and tools such as 3d printer monitoring.

I appriciate the time you've spent reading my message. Again I will gladly so the research/ put in the effort as I've already done before asking this question I would just like some guidance / suggestions / even a swift kick or shove in the rear in the right direction. Further I realize there are no guarantees when talking "beta" or alternative firmware and realize the possibilityn exists of stability or other issues. However I respect the time, effort, and experience many of you have with using / testing ddwrt and as such believe what you have to say / recomendations and advice is a much better place to start than randomly choosing a newer build version and testing.

One thing I did not mention, the current router is working pretty stable with the older build that is on it today. No realy issues for a few years other than setting up automatic reboot daily which seems to have helped keep the unit stable. Only real issue with current build running is instability / no connectivity to ESP32 devices which today is addressed by running a seperate Buffalo router with ddwrt on it. Reason for wanting to fix what's not broken is first I believe I have seen that to run PIA VPN its suggested to be on a newer build and 2nd as a security precaution in the event and vulnerabilities base been addresses in the years since the release I currently have running.
Sponsor
o2bad455
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not a 3200, but I've used several similar 1900's to do most of that (including PIA from GUI manual set-up, although the free FlashRouters GUI plug-in App also used to work). The latest DD-WRT builds work much better than the older builds, since BrainSlayer was able to update more of the wireless code. If I were you, I'd simply flash to the latest build (r49492 as of July 14, 2022) and see for yourself. There's just one caveat: Linksys changed something relating to DFS channels around 2016 which still affects ease of wireless use. As a quick check, how many channels does your GUI's Status/Wireless/wl0/ChannelSurvey detect?

P.S. - As a bonus, no automatic reboots needed once it's properly set up with a recent build. Mine have worked flawlessly for months without reboots, and my only reason today for rebooting one that had been going strong for three weeks was to update to the latest build.

Netgear R9000 - Atheros
Netgear R7000 - Broadcom
PC x86-64 VM - Atheros
TNCajunJoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the info.

So logged in to check the wireless channels seen. I Don't see wl0 O see ath#.

So did the channel survey I've attached what what it showed. Unless I'm not understanding exactly where the channel list is you wanted me to check. I hit the admin page first without logging in did not see the interfaces labeled as wl also logged in same thing I only see them as ath.
o2bad455
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, your firmware version is so old that it's using outdated terminology. You scanned the 2.4 GHz band (ath1, or wl1 in modern builds). You might try scanning the 5 GHz band (ath0, or wl0 in modern builds) instead, which is where the DFS channels reside.
Netgear R9000 - Atheros
Netgear R7000 - Broadcom
PC x86-64 VM - Atheros
TNCajunJoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok thanks. Ath2 is radio off.

Ath0 I have attached.
o2bad455
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks promising since it is seeing the DFS channels! Smile I'd do a backup of the current config even though it won't work with the new release, and then update to the latest firmware release with a reset. LMK if you have any issues setting up the VPN.
Netgear R9000 - Atheros
Netgear R7000 - Broadcom
PC x86-64 VM - Atheros
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: