[SOLVED] VHT160 Use With R7000P

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well your link is for the BCM4366E and the R7000P has a BCM4365E

but thanks for posting irrelevant links
Sponsor
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10954/linksys-enters-mesh-wifi-market-with-velop-whole-home-wifi-expands-maxstream-lineup

Quote:
The radio used in the EA9300 is the Broadcom BCM4365E. This appears to be a 3x3 variant of the BCM4366.

Thanks for not reading everything linked completely.

https://www.broadcom.com/site-search?q=BCM4365E

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, and we were just talking about the phone and its chipset.

We have already established on page 1 that the R7000P probably does not support VHT160.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
No these are the specifications and a performance test for the BCM4389 chip in the S21.

See the test, Broadcom has tested the Smatphone itself but in the 6Ghz band.

In general, a channel width of 160Mhz is also available in the 5Ghz band.
However, very few AC chipsets support it.

but reading is probably too much to ask

Nothing worth learning can be taught.

And a good read which explains your well put information is here

As you noted `Support for 160 MHz channel bandwidth in 5 GHz is included in the 802.11ac standard` however if its implemented on all routers and clients the the discussion du jour.

And the S21 will likely not support earlier implementations ala Broadcom and that is that.

his type of discussion will be probably popping up with different topics, like recently about the QAM subject, there must always be a clear distinction between what routers and what clients support and in relation to interoperability between different chipsets and specific features.

Should 160Mhz be visible on the R7000P, maybe, maybe not, patches welcome. Wink

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Galaxy S21 Ultra’s Wi-Fi modem supports all current standards, including Wi-Fi 6E with VHT160.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-Galaxy-S21-Ultra-Smartphone-Review-Improved-in-many-ways-but-not-all.517524.0.html
the-joker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pff, Just promotional marketing noise, nothing about actual hardware details. This thread is just boring now, nothing new being offered or learned.
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
The purpose of this thread was not about my S21 phone, but if the R7000P can support VHT160. So far I have seen no evidence that it can do VHT160.
the-joker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its been said already and I posted a link that details the standard for 5 GHz 801.11AC includes VHT160, and while not many manufacturers did implement it, this is Broadcom and we know they like doing their own thing. The link I posted is fairly detailed and factual.

But, I will try to find out what the deal is specifically for the R7000P, so far cant see the spec sheet for the 5GHz radio the Broadcom links are for a different model.

The question of the S21 came up to determine the client chipset since you said you tried connecting to the R7000P with VHT160 but it showed 80, which I tried to explain to you how things normally work across chipsets. You cant make claims and then not expect reasonable questions or some rebuttable. You still have no answer to which chipset your S21 device radios are only posted marketing nonsense.

If you read the link I posted in reply to ho1Aetoo you will see for yourself and may even learn something.

the-joker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here from @vbrainslayer
brainslayer wrote:
Its' part of wave2. but not mandatory and works only if 4 chains are available.
vht160 is basically 80 mhz for 2 chains and another 80 mhz for the other 2 chains on different channels.
in theory it works on the r7000p, but it seems that only 3 chains are connected. so i did not test much with it

So from that + info from the link I posted above you will have the whys and the hows and what. And your phone maybe compatible with wifi6 VHT160 but likely wont be wifi5 wave2 5Ghz VHT160, you would have to ask Samsung for that information and then you have the different chipsets.

Case closed. Marking as solved.

Next!

BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Here from @vbrainslayer
brainslayer wrote:
Its' part of wave2. but not mandatory and works only if 4 chains are available.
vht160 is basically 80 mhz for 2 chains and another 80 mhz for the other 2 chains on different channels.
in theory it works on the r7000p, but it seems that only 3 chains are connected. so i did not test much with it

So from that + info from the link I posted above you will have the whys and the hows and what. And your phone maybe compatible with wifi6 VHT160 but likely wont be wifi5 wave2 5Ghz VHT160, you would have to ask Samsung for that information and then you have the different chipsets.

Case closed. Marking as solved.

Next!

wifi 6 he160 capable end devices are wifi5 wave2 vht160 capable too. thats not the point. the chipset of the r7000p is vht160 capable too. its just that only 3 antenna chains are connected from what i see from manufacturers configuration. i dont say it isnt possible. but i havent implemented yet vht160 for the dhd driver in gui (on commandline its possible to get it to work somehow). but this doesnt mean it will work at the end if one chain is not connected

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Again, thank you BS for your work in maintaining so many devices which would be unsafe to use if not for your updates! Thank you also for clarifying why VHT160 is not currently available on the R7000P.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Had Netgear put a 4-antenna array on the R7000P like they put on the R7800, vht160 support would've been easier, is what I'm thinking. So what I'm gathering from the words of the master wizard is that some finessing of the driver code is required, which I thought was already done. I guess I was in error thinking that. Embarassed I guess we'll see what we see when we see it soon enough. Film at 11.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just looked at some Netgear AX routers, and they have implemented 160Ghz channels on some three antenna routers. The R7000P with DD-WRT firmware has an excellent range and very good Wi-Fi range with the 80GZ channel availability.
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just tried the VHT160 setting again with the latest build. Previously it was giving me a 80 MHz channel width on channel 36. Now it shows an auto channel which does not show what channel it is. With the Wi-Fi app on my smartphone, it shows as a 20 MHz width at 36 MHz. Since this setting does not currently work on the R7000P perhaps it should be disabled.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: