[SOLVED] VHT160 Use With R7000P

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 22:25    Post subject: [SOLVED] VHT160 Use With R7000P Reply with quote
Recently, after BS updated the R7000P channels to include the lower channels in the US, I tried VHT160 which I don't believe was previously available. When I tried it according to my phone app which shows the actual bandwidth in was only 80MHz wide instead of 160MHz. The next build (7/9) when I tried it disable the GUI and I had to reset my router. The current build still has this available, but I have not tried it.

Question: Is VHT160 a valid option for the R7000P and does it work? I believe trying on the previous build may have contributed the GUI not allowing an update to the current build until I rest the R7000P multiple times and then had to go back to stock firmware before I could upgrade to the 7/14 build.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Most importantly, I doubt your phone supports VHT160. I just flashed 49500 alpha to test the changes to the webUI styles and wifi. I think you're possibly being very impatient. My R7000P takes longer than my TL-WR1043ND v2.1 to completely boot up and give webUI access. If you didn't get stuck on a solid amber light or a bootloop, you probably jumped the gun, but that is just my own personal opinion. I haven't tested VHT160 yet, simply because I do not have *any* client wireless cards that support it in any devices. People need to slow down like they're using an i386DX-25 running NT3.51 and quit rushing things.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
My smartphone S21 supports supports 160 Mhz channels. My other router RAX45 utilizes 160Mhz channels which my Samsung S21 recognizes.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which channel configuration did you set on DD-WRT? What is available as choices? Could be invalid settings.
Remember that the R7000P is 802.11ac, not 802.11ax - and that Broadcom is finnicky, esp. in DD-WRT.

802.11ac

802.11ax

----------------------
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I tried the VHT 160 mode (when it worked) it defaulted to Auto for the channel which could not be changed and from my phone app it showed it looked like it stayed at the same frequency as the VHT80 which was channel 149. When the GUI became non-functional, the R7000P was still able to access the internet without any problems. I waited about five minutes before trying again, and the GUI still did not work. When I rebooted the router the GUI became functional again but when trying to update to the current DD-WRT firmware it started for a two or three seconds then the GUI would become non-functional again, and the update would never complete. With VHT80 I only have two channel choices, 36 or 149.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll have to do some further tinkering, I don't remember what channel width I have set, but I'm pretty sure it's VHT80, and I am pretty sure I have more channels available than that for selection. The order of operations is channel width, save - extension channel(s), save - pick a channel. Broadcom is backwards, i.e. lower lower is upper upper and vice versa. I may do some rearranging here and put mine in place where I can test it more extensively, but I'm not seeing anything unexpected yet.

----------------------
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
In DD-WRT I have is set for VHT80 lower lower and it gives me 36 and 149 as channels.
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
When BS updated the 5GHz channels to include the lower channels, I did a reset and entered all the settings manually.

Also, from the reviews I have read, the Netgear R000P with the Netgear firmware does not support VHT160. The Netgear R7800 supports VHT160. Perhaps DD-WRT was able to add it.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33210-160-mhz-wi-fi-channels-friend-or-foe
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, in all honesty, I still have nvram set brcm_unlock=1 configured, so that may be why I show more channels for VHT80. I only get two for VHT160, though. It doesn't show any choices for extension channel for me. I may take the plunge and do a hard reset and then do all of my usual configurations and put it in place of the device serving my office area.

----------------------
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
PaulGo wrote:
When BS updated the 5GHz channels to include the lower channels, I did a reset and entered all the settings manually.

Also, from the reviews I have read, the Netgear R000P with the Netgear firmware does not support VHT160. The Netgear R7800 supports VHT160. Perhaps DD-WRT was able to add it.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33210-160-mhz-wi-fi-channels-friend-or-foe

Yes, the R7800 supports VHT160 - but it doesn't give you much of an advantage.

The maximum data rate is the same.
The QCA radios of the R7800 support VHT80 4x4 with 1733Mbit and VHT160 2x2 with 1733Mbit.

The limiting factor is usually the processor - it has 100% load at about 800Mbit TX.

With my 4x4 client VHT160 was never faster than VHT80.
And with a 2x2 client the differences are marginal.

With a good VHT80 2x2 client you can reach 650Mbit in download and with a VHT160 2x2 maybe 750Mbit.

But this is all pure WLAN <-> LAN speed, the Internet <-> WLAN speed may well be lower.

and in addition it should be said that VHT160 extremely restricts the interference-free channels in the 5Ghz band.

With the stock firmware, the router is faster and does not have as much CPU load.
I can get 1Gbit throughput in both directions with VHT80.

But honestly, this is humbug on the smartphone anyway, because you rarely have such large files / data volumes to transfer.
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ho1Aetoo With VHT80 on my R7000P using a Comcast test setup I can get about 650Mbs download when I am close to the router on my Galaxy S21 phone. This is actually much better than the Netgear firmware. With my Netgear RAX45 Wi-Fi 6 router which uses 160MHz channels I get about the same results.

From what I have read and in your reply, it appears the VHT160 option should not be shown for the R7000P.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know exactly.
I can't find any data sheets for the chip.
But overall it looks like the radio does not support VHT160.

But as I said, don't be sad if you don't have VHT160.

VHT160 should not be used in the 5Ghz band unless you have your own property and a lot of space to your neighbours.

In multi-family houses, this is just a "bad neighbour" feature.

Last edited by ho1Aetoo on Fri Jul 15, 2022 18:28; edited 1 time in total
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fortunately, I have a single family house and using the Wi-Fi analyzer on my smartphone I am not interfering with my neighbors. For Wi-Fi use, VHT80 gives me more than I need.
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Well, in all honesty, I still have nvram set brcm_unlock=1 configured, so that may be why I show more channels for VHT80. I only get two for VHT160, though. It doesn't show any choices for extension channel for me. I may take the plunge and do a hard reset and then do all of my usual configurations and put it in place of the device serving my office area.

With the new build, VHT160 is still present. Have you tried it? Also, have you had the opportunity to reset the NVRAM to see how many channels are available with VHT80 and VHT160?
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not everything will change from build to build, such expectations are unrealistic, there is a TV series titled Curb your enthusiasm Highly appropriate, dont you think? Wink
DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: