Netgear r7800 advanced configuration issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Frakko
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Frakko wrote:
egc wrote:
You should not use the command line (other than for swconfig), you should use the GUI to setup, unless you know exactly what you are doing.

My advice reset the R7800 and start over, just use the GUI to setup.
Of course screenshots from the R7000 can be helpful to mimick the settings Smile

Most settings are the same but wireless is different and of course VLAN's are different due to the other port layout.
There is a sticky in this forum for wireless settings FWIW

In fact I did so but the result is always the same: it freezes or the IP resets to 192.168.1.1 or does not work. In my opinion, using the graphical interface there are bugs. I wanted to report it but I don't remember the username of my account svn.ddwrt.com so I can't recover the password.

Quote:

I think I see the "bug". To reinforce what's been said three times already:

You don't use the switch config tab to configure the switch on any other platform than Broadcom.
This has been true for quite some time. "OH, but I thought..." wrong.

R7800 and VLANS
PPPoE VLan ID Tagging on WAN (using EA8500)

In my experience, there aren't any issues with the webUI if you use "save" (or even "apply", if you are patient enough) - as
long as you aren't making configuration errors. I think there is just a lack of understanding platform-specific nuances here.

Do you think I've been trying to configure the R7800 for several days and I did it in a hurry by setting the parameters without any attention or not saving the options every time? I'm sorry but that's not the reason. We look elsewhere for the real causes, this to really improve the firmware otherwise it becomes a useless discussion.
Sponsor
Frakko
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
If unable to communicate all steps needed to reproduce the problem(s) there is no need to open a ticket.

Otherwise, plenty of other users with these model routers no issues navigating WebUI or a configuration.

I think you are much better to describe the situation here before automatically assuming firmware bugs.

I was taking screenshots of the firmware but unfortunately it went haywire before I could finish and "swicth config" disappeared. This is already an important bug: "swicht config" is erased when resetting settings, often. When restoring the tab, with the next firmware version then I will see that I can put new information as soon as possible.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Frakko wrote:
ho1Aetoo wrote:
Frakko wrote:
Now "Switch config" has disappeared from the menu (this is the second time this has happened to me).

Yes something completely new.
Happens by chance whenever you perform a factory reset.

Simply restart the router again.
If not .... the problem fixes itself with the next firmware update.

I restarted several timesbut remains without "Swhicth Config", evidently the fw of the R7800 is not so a rock. Wink At the next firmware I do some more tests but I'm afraid there is something to review inside it. Wink

I don't know what you're trying to achieve with these comments.

But it has long been known that the Switch Tab disappears after a factory reset and reappears after a restart.

We've known that for months.
Just like the fact that the tab doesn't work on the R7800 anyway.
This has also been reported 100 times.

But it doesn't matter - the firmware runs stably on the router.
Like egc, I also have 3x R7800s and they don't cause any problems Smile
Nothing hangs or freezes.

I just reset the router again especially for you and see that the switch tab is back after a 2 restart. (exactly as I have already described several times)

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1261817#1261817

And I'm afraid with your bug reportings skills no one can understand your problems anyway.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a brand new R7800 in box, just for testing uploaded the same firmware and tried swconfig tab...what ever you touch there than tab is gone...yep same result as ho1Aetoo
it takes few reboots to re-appear again...that's why i said DO NOT USE SWITCH TAB as its not working on R7800, as we told you few times not to use it and its known issue and how to handle it..but it seams you just have found the hot water ... Laughing Laughing

Well...i did some other tests on R7800, so i utilised the time for out of the box R7800 ....

just to add...as i have stubby on my main R7800 and dnscrypt-proxy v2xx on the test unit on my testing unit...
When hit apply button...router executes shutdown script, so whatever is in /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung for some reason its not back to work...until i restart the service manually...so BS has to remove the shutdown execution when hit apply button i guess.. Rolling Eyes

So, if Frakko is running any of those, on hit apply no more Internet until you restart those services manually Razz or reboot the unit...but, this is also an old issue...i even reported it in svn or i forgot don't remember and it's not important anyway...... Razz Razz Razz

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913

Last edited by Alozaros on Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:46; edited 2 times in total
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
As we always say:

After coming from stock and regularly as a form of spring cleaning reset to defaults and rebuild manually and if you are done configuring, reboot Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Last edited by egc on Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:13; edited 1 time in total
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Frakko wrote:
Do you think I've been trying to configure the R7800 for several days and I did it in a hurry by setting the parameters without any attention or not saving the options every time? I'm sorry but that's not the reason. We look elsewhere for the real causes, this to really improve the firmware otherwise it becomes a useless discussion.

I think the collective of your forum posts and Trac tickets speak for themselves. Everyone explains things to you, but yet you still adamantly hold onto non-issues and lack of understanding. Whatever add-on you are using in your browser re-wrote the linked threads in my previous post. I think your issues are self-inflicted.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Frakko, I understand that frustration is now well set in, we have all been there. But keep in mind we are still trying to help you get there. It would be far worse if no one even replied and you're left alone. I also have been there personally back when -- when; that is way worse than having good advice to follow.

Bare in mind; if when configuring anything you hit apply, services restart and you are SOL with no access to router until networking is back up. This is normal and to be expected. It will be longer where you are using Wifi vs wired. (I dont use wifi for web interface configuration personally)

You will also be blocked out of the router for 5 minutes after you enter wrong credentials for web login idk how many attempts, easy to tell the syslog will show these entries in RED.

Also switch page not being there, I suppose, when you reset nvram perhaps the 7800 is removing the switch config variables and values on nvram reset, someone would need to check the code to find out exactly.

But rebooting will help as defaults are read and the nvram variables with their defaults will be restored, if it takes more than a reboot its to be expected if the scenario is as described above (Im just having a semi-educated guess), because the switch needs to be initialized after variables are found.

Hard to tell because whatever you are experiencing will need corroborating evidence with syslog or serial output to show exactly where to start looking for this bug as you describe it.

Now on a different note altogether but still related to general bug reports.

Imagine now you're the developer and want to fix this and have thousands of lines of code, you can isolate to specific areas and that's still a great deal of code, but will you start just blindly re-writing code and hope for the best, or are you going to need a specific pointer that instead of thousand of lines of code just says, look in this smaller area where you have only a few dozen lines of code.

Also not all code DD-WRT side is developed by DD-WRT, you have drivers/kernels/libraries and other components that are all 3rd party maintained and developed, so if the bug is there, you can report it 100 times in these forums, but it wont get fixed in the relevant project. Their devs dont stalk their users all over web the umpteen projects and their forums looking for reports on their stuff. We dont know anyway where even to start looking except some guess.

I hope we can get you there in the end, but for that, listen to the advice of very experienced users with your device, and help us help you better.

Thanks for understanding and good luck.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Frakko
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm sorry that my posts are seen as controversial.
I am only illustrating my difficulties which to many of you seem controversial. For the moment I suspend all activities with the R7800, which for me is somewhat complicated to program at this point as I cannot use the same method I used for the R7000. Objectively I did not understand if the Switch config card can or should not be used and how to do it for the VLans. And if it is not to be used what does it do in the menus ... It will be my limitation or that of the automatic translator. As soon as I have a few more moments to dedicate, I try to post again. Objectively now it seems useless since we don't understand each other. Greetings.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Switch Config Tab should not be used on the R7800.
Instead, VLAN should be done with the command "swconfig" via command line input.

However, the user lexridge has managed to configure VLANs via GUI, see the following topic.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1261782#1261782

Be aware that if you misconfigure the R7800 switch, you may lose access to the router and have to reset it completely to factory settings.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Better link to that thread for you, @ho1Aetoo:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=332023

The issue sounds reminiscent of the LAN ports not working issue on Linksys E-series MIPSR2 Broadcom 802.11n devices because the vlan assignments were wrong on that page. Are the settings now correct by default or is this still "broken"? Or is that why the page disappears? I haven't bothered looking at this on my R7800, sorry.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
You should not use the command line (other than for swconfig), you should use the GUI to setup, unless you know exactly what you are doing.

snip

egc our beloved MCHO who has several of these routers/manages them advising to use GUI to do switch config and against CLI swconfig unless users know what they are doing.

ho1Aetoo wrote:
Instead, VLAN should be done with the command "swconfig" via command line input.

However, the user lexridge has managed to configure VLANs via GUI, see the following topic.

Snip...

And then we have ho1Aetoo and alozaros who at first glance seem to contradict this information. No wonder something is getting lost in translation and Frakko is confused and frustrated.

I would be too quite honestly.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
egc wrote:

snip

egc our beloved MCHO who has several of these routers/manages them advising to use GUI to do switch config and against CLI swconfig unless users know what they are doing.

I think you just misread that, he wasn't dead-on specific and that is where the problem was there. He meant to use swconfig for VLANs via CLI, but don't use the CLI to change nvram parameters and such - use the webUI. That is how *I* interpreted it, anyway.

the-joker wrote:
ho1Aetoo wrote:

Snip...

And then we have ho1Aetoo and alozaros who at first glance seem to contradict this information. No wonder something is getting lost in translation and Frakko is confused and frustrated.

@ho1Aetoo was offering a contrast in config methods, or rather, an "it can be done, read this", nothing more. You'll eventually learn how to read their posts. Sometimes, it's best just to look past Alozaros' posts. I don't know how many times I had to reiterate the 33375 thread instructions because of how he posts.

- Your friendly neighborhood kernel safety mechanism.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Frakko
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Without wanting to objectively argue, the posts seem to contradict.
However in order to make the situation clearer for R7800 users I suggest removing the "Shiwtch config" tab or putting a message inside it to use the command line for VLan?
For completeness of information, for what technical reason, unlike the other devices, it was not possible to solve this bug?
Thank you.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1267218#1267218

egc wrote:
Just leave the switch page alone it is not working on the R7800.

Use swconfig to configure VLANs

maybe better understandable?

Last edited by ho1Aetoo on Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:01; edited 1 time in total
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Better link to that thread for you, @ho1Aetoo:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=332023

The issue sounds reminiscent of the LAN ports not working issue on Linksys E-series MIPSR2 Broadcom 802.11n devices because the vlan assignments were wrong on that page. Are the settings now correct by default or is this still "broken"? Or is that why the page disappears? I haven't bothered looking at this on my R7800, sorry.

No, as far as I know, the assignment is still wrong.
I only know that the switch config tab disappears after a factory reset.

The reason for this is that the nvram parameters are reset.
I have observed the whole thing several times.

After a factory reset no switch config tab is shown after the first reboot.
After a second reboot the tab appears again and the NVRAM parameters are set again.

Otherwise I can only say that neither egc nor I use the switch config tab.
Because the tab ( due to the wrong port assignments ) configures the switch wrong ( no working WAN port anymore ) and we both had to reset the router several times.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: